PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please - Star Tours or Marceline to MK Tour

wdwluv
04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a short solo trip coming up. And I have one day to choose between the two.

And the choice is between:
:fingers: for a soft opening for :trooper: Star Tours on Monday May 16th, so that I show up at DHS for rope drop. And being lucky enough to be one of the first to ride.
OR
Take a new tour at MK. I've heard that the Marceline to MK is an interesting tour. It is just about 3 hours, and pretty inexpensive at approx $30. It is only offered M/W/F at 8:15, and Monday, May 16th is the only day it will work for me.

(this may be my only kid-less trip, and it will be a long time before the kids are interested in doing tours. But there is obviously no guarantee of getting into Star Tours and I'd rather do the MK tour if I can't do Star Tours!)

KylesMom
04-28-2011, 09:32 AM
As anxious as I am to experience the new Star Tours ride, I think I'd opt for the tour. Like you mentioned, there may not be a soft opening - or they could run it sporadically through the day - and since your time is short, I'd go with the sure thing.

wdwluv
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Has anyone been able to take advantage of a soft opening? do you just hang around outside the attraction for hours and hours hoping to get in? (I agree Carol, I hate to waste my short amount of time!)

wdwluv
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't it be great if all the Destination D attendees got a Fast Pass of sorts to head over to Star Tours for that weekend?!? :thumbsup:

brownie
04-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Go with the sure thing. I'd take the Marceline tour. Star Tours can wait for another trip (you need a reason to go back again soon, right?)

wdwluv
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Go with the sure thing. I'd take the Marceline tour. Star Tours can wait for another trip (you need a reason to go back again soon, right?)

:mickey: But I don't need any good reasons! LOL!!!

It will be a bit of torture to hear everyone talking about it till my next trip though! :) There isn't going to be a plethora of message board posts and podcasts and news articles about the Marceline Tour! ;)
I MOSTLY agree with the sure thing, but oh the bragging rights of being among the first! :party2:
I'll have to hit fast forward on all the Intercot Podcasts while they talk about it. :doh:

MOJoe
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
I am so with you, wanting to be among the first to experience the new Star Tours. Don't give up hope! There is actually a schedule posted for a Disneyland ST2 soft opening. Star Tours at DL closed first, so they are a little ahead of WDW. If a schedule gets posted for the Studios, it's sure to get posted here too. So keep watching, and don't book that MK tour just yet.

ransam
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
since this is your first solo trip (im assuming you have children), i'd go w/ the Marceline tour. your kids would probably enjoy the star tours, and may be bored at teh marceline tour.

BrerGnat
04-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I am so with you, wanting to be among the first to experience the new Star Tours. Don't give up hope! There is actually a schedule posted for a Disneyland ST2 soft opening. Star Tours at DL closed first, so they are a little ahead of WDW. If a schedule gets posted for the Studios, it's sure to get posted here too. So keep watching, and don't book that MK tour just yet.

The soft openings at DL are still a RUMOR! Just wanted to clarify that. If they do happen, it seems it will only be May 20 and 21st. The AP preview days begin on May 22, but APs had to enter a lottery and must "win" a chance to go. It's not for all AP holders.

MOJoe
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
The soft openings at DL are still a RUMOR! Just wanted to clarify that. If they do happen, it seems it will only be May 20 and 21st. The AP preview days begin on May 22, but APs had to enter a lottery and must "win" a chance to go. It's not for all AP holders.

From Star Tours Live

Star Tours 2 Soft Opening
Disneyland
Regisitration required on Disneyland Annual Passholder website.

Monday, May 23, 2011
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

O.K. so after i read this more closely, the soft opening may only be for those who have been chosen through a registration process, and not for the general public.

BrerGnat
04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
O.K. so after i read this more closely, the soft opening may only be for those who have been chosen through a registration process, and not for the general public.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I'm a DL AP holder, and I had to register for a CHANCE to attend one of these events. I had to check mark all the times I'd be able to go. If I get chosen, I can bring 3 other AP holders with me (my DH and 2 boys).

They also did this with FInding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I did not win a chance to attend a soft opening that time...

wdwluv
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Oh man!!! I'm an AP holder!!! Wish they'd do that for DHS!!! (of course, what are the chances I'd get picked! :-P)

KylesMom
04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Oh man!!! I'm an AP holder!!! Wish they'd do that for DHS!!! (of course, what are the chances I'd get picked! :-P)

We've been A/P holders for 9 (going on 10) years straight, and I can't recall that Disney World has ever done passholder previews in this manner with a lottery. Can anyone confirm that?

At any rate, whichever you choose to go for, I'm sure you're going to have a fantastic time! :mickey:

wdwluv
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
We've been A/P holders for 9 (going on 10) years straight, and I can't recall that Disney World has ever done passholder previews in this manner with a lottery. Can anyone confirm that?

At any rate, whichever you choose to go for, I'm sure you're going to have a fantastic time! :mickey:

Very true! :mickey: I booked the Marceline Tour and I think I have up to 48 hours prior to cancel and still receive a refund. I probably will be debating right up to the very last minute!
(sure is going to be rough getting up for the tour to be at park by 8am, after being at MK till 2am the night before!!! :eek:)

ransam
04-29-2011, 02:21 PM
what exactly is the Star tour?

joanna71985
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
what exactly is the Star tour?

Star Tours is a simulator attraction at DHS, based on the Star Wars movies

magicman
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd definitely do the Marceline Tour.

I would hate to ride Star Tours 2 without my family. (And I think they would hate on me for doing it.);)

wdwluv
05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
:mickey:What a lucky girl am I. Got to do Marceline tour AND got a soft opening for Star Tours. I was able to ride a bunch of things the kiddos won't do on my trip. And now that I've ridden it, I'm pretty sure this is one that won't scare the kids! (I'm certain Tower of Terror is not for them yet! LOL)

KylesMom
05-24-2011, 09:08 AM
:mickey:What a lucky girl am I. Got to do Marceline tour AND got a soft opening for Star Tours. I was able to ride a bunch of things the kiddos won't do on my trip. And now that I've ridden it, I'm pretty sure this is one that won't scare the kids! (I'm certain Tower of Terror is not for them yet! LOL)

Awesome! So glad everything worked out & you were able to really enjoy your short but sweet solo trip! Would love to hear more about everything - including your Marceline Tour & the Destination D festivities! :mickey:

Melanie
05-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Glad it all worked out. Disney Magic! :magic:

Ms. Mode
05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Can you tell me what the Marceline tour is? I've never heard of it. :blush: