PDA

View Full Version : traveling with little ones

kgoulash
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
i've been to the world with my son and daughter but we recently found out we are expecting a new surprise addition!
so if all goes as intended we will be arriving with a 9 yo, a 5 yo, and a 10 mo old.
does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about a carriage? i took my dd at 6 mo and she stayed mostly in a sling or baby bjorn and we took a single carriage, my son was fine to walk.
i don't think my daughter will walk as much as my son did, in past experience what do you think, should i try and bring a sit/stand stroller or just bring my compact one and rent at disney, 2 strollers seems like a pain, no?

mudpuppysmom
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Alot depends on your kids. We shed our stroller when my older DS was 4 -- we was really active and we did take breaks when we would just sit on a bench and have a snack as a breather, but honestly he wanted to go go go!! He also was never a napper, so if your kids are nappers you will need to adjust.

We have gone when younger DS was 6 months and then 1.5 years and we'll be again this fall when he is 3. We will be "stroller people" once again, but I don't think he'll be ready for the miles of walking that is involved. He doesn't nap either, but I'm QUITE sure he will nap in the stroller, or if we need to, we'll return to the hotel for a breather/break and swim and relax. DH is all for that, but DS#1 will hate it (he's 9).

Kids can also vary from day to day -- so you have to look to them for how the day goes, that is why each and every trip is different!

I would say to bring a stroller for your little one only and the other two can walk, but that is my opinion -- only you know your kids!

BrerGnat
04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't even worry about the two older ones. By 9 and 5 years old, they should be fine walking all day. Since you'll have a baby (in a stroller), you'll not be going full out commando running around all day anyway. ;)

I'd bring a COMFORTABLE, reclining compact umbrella for your baby (like a Maclaren or similar). Make sure the baby is comfy in the stroller for longer periods of time at home, so by the time the trip comes along, it's a familiar spot.

And, in the meantime, get your younger child walking EVERYWHERE. Now is a good time to teach the "strollers are for babies" mantra.

teambricker04
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with the mantra "strollers are for babies". I suspect that the 5yo will be too excited to sit for long and with a 10mo, you will probably end up taking breaks which will help your 5yo's stamina.

I always used a baby carrier (Bjorn, Ergo, what not) when my sons were small, but it will depend on the size of your 10mo. I found at 10mo, they liked to get up and see, but couldn't walk yet and I wanted my hands free. You may also consider a backpack carrier.

I would opt for my own reclining umbrella stroller :)

kgoulash
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks for the input!
i'm sure you are all right about my daughter walking more at 5, i get so excited planning i forget it's a year away, alot can change.
with a 6 mo old a sling was the way to go but this time with a 10 (poss 11mo old, i tend to deliver early) i don't know how much the sling will work.
hopefully this one will nap in the stroller as well as my other 2 did!