PDA

View Full Version : Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, Part 7

Mammabruski
04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
OoooohKaaaayyy! Here we go!! I guess I should've labeled them by days, but I didn't realize how much I'd write for a day... Here's day 1 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=181264) if you want to know the cast, and here's the last part (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=181448)...

I gotta tell ya'll this has been the best trip! Thanks for coming along for the ride...

So Friday (4/1) morning the weather was…. GREAT! It was to be a high of about 80, and not a cloud in sight! Yippee! So off we went to BB. A group of us go there early and we got 8 chairs right by the edge of the baby pool in the Tyke’s Peak area. The kids enjoyed the pool and the slides. It fabulous! After a little while we headed over and did Teamboat Springs, which is kind of funny since we’re from Steamboat Springs! My little one LOVED it! She was shouting "again, again"! DD1 on the other hand said once was enough… We played back in the Tyke’s Peak area while we waited for everyone to get back then did a circuit on the Lazy River. Lunch followed and the kids played a little more and then we were back home for a nap.

After Nap we headed to Epcot and eventually to the last of our Grand Gathering Events: The Illuminations Dinner! Before dinner (which was at 7:30) the girls got to me HIM. DUFFY! DD1’s lovey is the Original Disney Bear and DD2 loves her's very much too. We were the last in line for a viewing, and the girls got some quality time with the Bear. We told him he was more important to the girls than Mickey! He blew lots of kisses and was very gracious. We scoped out the World Showcase up to Japan then headed over to the Odyssey Building for dinner.

I was really excited for this dinner, as it promised the best foods from around the World Showcase. The way I read it was that it would be like going to a buffet, where they bring samples from the country's restaurants. This was the biggest disappointment ever! The food was “inspired” by, but definitely not from the restaurants at the countries themselves. The fish was frozen box junk, greasy stir-fry from China, brown rice (yes that’s it) from Japan. Rigatoni and sauce from Italy, no meat, and no special cheese. The only bright spots were the chicken from Morocco and the beef from France, of which only the 1st batch wasn’t tough dry leather. I was so disappointed! At least “Aunt Roz” the MC was interesting and Goofy and Minnie were there. At the end of dinner, after a couple special dances, we got special photopass pics with Minnie and Goofy, and then we headed to the best part (by far).

They had a roped off area just to the right of the Store right by the entrance closest to the Odyssey building. It was also a dessert buffet, but the desserts were pretty sub-par, nothing made special for the buffet. Illuminations was great and the kids loved it. Our view was amazing, but I would have preferred one of the peninsulas where the general public wouldn’t glare at us as they were asked to leave after jumping over the ropes. Oh, and at both Grand Gatherings they gave us special pins- the one at Tony’s could be used as a FP to the next Philharmagic, and the Pin for this night was our ticket to the dessert buffet.

After the show we walked my DH, DP, DM and the kids out as my younger DS and I got to stay back and do some shopping and check out the rest of the World Showcase. They really changed around Mouse Gears, but we found some good stuff and it was nice to be able to shop without rushing. We then headed over to Canada, and I got as beer from a guy from my home town (I grew up in Ottawa, ONT). We waltzed over to UK, and then got some crepes in France. After that we called it a night and headed home. Tomorrow is our last day in the parks… Sigh.

PrettyMinnie
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the report! Glad you got some relaxed shopping and WS time with your DS! Was the dessert buffet good?

Dopey's Girl
04-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry your food was disappointing. That stinks!

Aww, boo last day!

vizsla
04-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the report.

yjgirl32
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
We too were able to do a grand gathering experience- the on in AK where you get a special tour of the safari. Then a meal at the Tusker house. I enjoyed it. The safari was ok but the meal with music and meeting Rafiki and Timon was cool. Plus the music was good.

princessgirls
04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
A great great day. That is a shame that the food was so disappointing at the Odyssey. I would have expected better too...

Thanks for the report! I have enjoyed reading about all of your adventures!

Julie:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the report. Too bad about the dinner.

faline
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry dinner was a let-down! The whole rest of your day was really fun!

artyboy
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the report...and for the head's up about the Odyssey!

DizNee143
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
sounds like a nice day at blizzard beach...sorry dinner was such a disappointment..but illuminations should of definitely made up for it..that is my favorite!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
05-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
05-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I gotta tell ya'll this has been the best trip! Thanks for coming along for the ride... Man, I so love to hear that!

Yay - the weather cooperated and you had a great day at BB. Sounds like there was plenty to keep everyone entertained!

The dinner, on the other hand, sounds like quite a letdown. Sounds like a pretty generic (and tasteless) buffet. At least you had a prime spot to watch Illuminations.

Great ending to your evening. I love that time of the night at Epcot after Illuminations, just meandering through WS, grabbing a cocktail & soaking everything in.

Thanks for another great post. Can't believe tomorrow is your last park day!

Disney-4-Me
05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Isn't it amazing how much we appreciate a childless shopping trip after we become mommies? It's such a treat to shop without a little one hanging on or begging!;)

Thanks for the report!