PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur the RIde

nqi2
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Does this ride have any hills or drops in it or is it just bumpy. My kids don't like major drops in rides. They will do POTC and Norway but not much more than that. Thanks.

KylesMom
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll say this . . . Dinosaur is, to say the least, a very intense ride. While it doesn't have huge inclines or hills (there are some), it is very rough, loud, and for the timid, a scary adventure.

If your kids like this kind of thing, they'd be in heaven. But from the brief mention of nothing more intense than PotC or Maelstrom, I'm thinking this ride probably isn't for them.

BrerGnat
04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
This ride scares me, and I'm a 32 year old thrill junkie. I don't like this ride at all. I wouldn't even think of taking my boys on it...they would have heart attacks, probably...

DizneyRox
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
No hills or drops... Much of it is pretty dark and there are some pretty close encounters with dinosaurs. If you sit in the middle row(s) and the middle seats, the bumpy nature of the ride is tamed, although still pretty good.

I like it, although the smell of hydraulic fluid can be overpowering some times.

CanadaLovesDisney
04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
No big drops like splash mountain but it is loud and the dinosaurs can be scary. Love this ride though.

minnie-mouse
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
This ride is very bumpy. I am prone to motion sickness and hated this ride! I don't think it is good for young children.

MrPeetrie
04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Very intense. Very realistic audioanimatronic dinosaurs. Cars are not on a track. But rather, it's an independant system where cars "react" to the environment. They lunge forward. Stop quickly. Race away from danger. And each wheel has a hydraulic piston that creates the sense of traveling over bumps. Very bumpy ride. Very intense ride. Very LOUD dinosaurs, too.

Disney-4-Me
04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a great picture of my sister (mid 40s) looking terrified and leaning away from a dinosaur while on this ride if that gives you any idea!

The next time we talked her into riding it, it shook the watch right off her arm. It's a challenge to get her back on it!:thedolls:

akaDisneyDreamer
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree it is very intense and exciting ... but I love Dinosaur!

nqi2
04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you very much for all the answers. We haven't spent very much time in the Animal Kingdom period. Trying to get a feel if we can stretch a whole day in this park or not.

Still getting the vibe that it's a 1/2 day park at best for us.

spoiledraf
04-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I personally won't be riding this anymore. Just too rough. I already have enough back problems! never noticed it being all the frightening but it is rough.

DizneyRox
04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Thank you very much for all the answers. We haven't spent very much time in the Animal Kingdom period. Trying to get a feel if we can stretch a whole day in this park or not.

Still getting the vibe that it's a 1/2 day park at best for us.
I can spend days there... We usually only ride Dinosaur a couple times. 1/2 day won't even get you through two of the best stage shows on property: Festival of the Lion King and Nemo the Musical.

nqi2
04-27-2011, 09:51 PM
That's exactly what we do. We go to the Lion King, The MG Trails, The Safari, And Nemo.

We have been out of the park by 2 each time we've been there and that was the second week of June.

SmallWorldBobby
04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Unless you really enjoy taking in the sights and sounds of the excellent theming, I don't think AK is a full day park. This goes double for you since it seems that your kids don't enjoy thrill/intense rides. While the main shows are excellent (Lion King, Nemo, Tough to Be A Bug), the ride draws are pretty intense (Everest, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids). I think Dinosaur will be too intense for younger kids or people who don't like loud, bumpy rides. It's fun, but creepy even for some adults.

Dopey's Girl
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm nearly 35, and this scares the pants off of me! I knew those dinos weren't real and I was still freaked out.

lovinmesomedisney
04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
WE LOVE DINOSAUR!!!! Sounds a little intense for your kids who won't do more than POTC and Maelstrom, though. I guess it all depends on the kid. My nephew went on it last year and he was only three at the time, and he loved it! All kids, and adults, evidently according to this thread, :D have different likes and dislikes.

MarkC
04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm taking the opposite opinion of most on here. I don't do the intense roller coaster thrill rides but I love this one. It shakes you around but there are no drops. Hold on to the handlebars and you'll be fine.

Like someone said above, the best part of the ride is the post-ride photos. You'll see normal adults terrified over these apparently very real dinosaurs. Did they forget they were at Disney and think they'd really been transported back in time all of a sudden? We love those photos.

darthmacho
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Sure it's bumpy and intense, but the ride is really well done. Worth every bit of jostling...:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't remember big drops or hills but it is very jerky. The last time I rode it in 2005 my neck hurt for hours afterwards, so I skipped it last trip.

Wall-e
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I haven't been to WDW yet, but I thought this ride was similar to Indiana Jones at Disneyland. It sounds like it may be quite a bit more intense! If you have been on both rides, how would you compare them?

Thanks!

cer
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I haven't been to WDW yet, but I thought this ride was similar to Indiana Jones at Disneyland. It sounds like it may be quite a bit more intense! If you have been on both rides, how would you compare them?

Thanks!

Same ride technology. I have heard Indiana Jones is better, but I have never ridden Indiana Jones.

Stu29573
04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Same ride technology. I have heard Indiana Jones is better, but I have never ridden Indiana Jones.

Actually, Dino is the exact same ride route with different theming and effects. This was done so they could get two very different rides out of the same plans. Much cheaper. I last went on Dino in November and it actually did jar my back a bit (it hurt off and on for quite a while afterward.) I didn't admit it to my wife, who refused to go on it because of her back. I figured a lecture wouldn't make it feel any better :secret: I'm hoping it was a fluke and I'm just not getting too old!

DizneyRox
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
As stated above, it's actually deeper. It's the same track layout AND even roomlayout. Just a different theme in each and different vehicle movement to match the story. It's called a two fer, and is an old Hollywood trick known as saving money!

BrerGnat
04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Indiana Jones is a much more comprehensive and visually stunning ride experience. It's much longer (maybe because the jeep doesn't go as fast) than Dinosaur and not nearly as dark for the most part, so there's lots of interesting things going on. Indiana Jones is, in my opinion, about a thousand times more enjoyable than Dinosaur.

But...that snake scares me almost as much as the Carnotaurus. :blush:

I have to question the validity of the statements regarding the track layout and show building being identical. I don't think so. For one thing, the Indiana Jones ride exists on multiple levels. You drive over a suspension bridge in a huge open room, then go down into a cave of sorts, and while you are down there, you can actually look up and see cars above you, going over the bridge. I don't recall Dinosaur being like this.

magicalmom
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Unless you really enjoy taking in the sights and sounds of the excellent theming, I don't think AK is a full day park.

We don't have a problem spending until 5 or 6 at the AK, because we also spend quite a lot of time enjoying what I call "the forgotten attraction", the animals! The tigers are magnificent, the bats intriguing, I love the birds, and I don't think my dad will ever quite get over explaining to my kids that "the gorillas are - ummmm - >gulp< - er - making baby gorillas." :blush:

DizneyRox
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I have to question the validity of the statements regarding the track layout and show building being identical. I don't think so. For one thing, the Indiana Jones ride exists on multiple levels. You drive over a suspension bridge in a huge open room, then go down into a cave of sorts, and while you are down there, you can actually look up and see cars above you, going over the bridge. I don't recall Dinosaur being like this.
While wikipedia CAN be wrong, this is from there regarding Dinosaur at DAK:

Attraction statistics
Grand opening: April 22, 1998 (Opened with Disney's Animal Kingdom)
Previous attraction name: Countdown to Extinction, changed shortly after the Dinosaur film was released (which was on May 19, 2000).
Show length: 3:10
Height Requirement: 40" (102 cm) or taller
Additional features: Interacts with Pal Mickey

Location: DinoLand U.S.A. Geographical location: 28.357109°N 81.587262°W

Ride system: Computerized ride vehicle, termed EMV (Enhanced Motion Vehicle), which are synchronized to, and trigger show scenes. Uses the same EMV technology and bolt for bolt identical track layout as Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye, only the themeing is different.

Features: Appearances by actors Wallace Langham and Phylicia Rashad.

I remember seeing a track layout once for Dinosaur, (probably a Martin Smith movie) but can't find it. Here is the closest I could find. Shows Dinosaur IS a 2 level layout and possible to see vehicles below you at time, if it were themed that way.

and the DL blueprint, rotated like 90°

One thing I see is at point H on the DL map, it is different, but I can't remember if the AK is accurate at that point or not. We're comparing hand drawn to "blueprint". Knowing Disney, not sure if they would make that "small" of a change for show. I suspect they really are in fact identical. It's just plain cheaper, only need one set of spare parts in a warehouse for repairs.

Stu29573
04-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Indiana Jones is a much more comprehensive and visually stunning ride experience. It's much longer (maybe because the jeep doesn't go as fast) than Dinosaur and not nearly as dark for the most part, so there's lots of interesting things going on. Indiana Jones is, in my opinion, about a thousand times more enjoyable than Dinosaur.

But...that snake scares me almost as much as the Carnotaurus. :blush:

Yep, they are in fact exactly the same. There ia a tribute video out there that maps them both out wonderfully. I know we can't put links on here, so you probably will have to do a little "Google Fishing." :D

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, if they are identical, they did a heck of a job making them feel like two completely different attractions!

twinboyz
04-29-2011, 02:44 PM
No hills or drops... Much of it is pretty dark and there are some pretty close encounters with dinosaurs. If you sit in the middle row(s) and the middle seats, the bumpy nature of the ride is tamed, although still pretty good.

I like it, although the smell of hydraulic fluid can be overpowering some times.

Took my boys on it at age 12. I have twins. One liked it, the other closed his eyes and covered his ears the entire time. It is intense, but fun. I loved it, but skipped it the first few times we were there. Now it's a must do. I must have been ready.

Depends on your kids and it's nothing like the Norway ride. Maybe skip it until they are ready to try it?:confused:

AXOAlum
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
LOVE IT! My favorite ride at DAK (and second to only Finding Nemo: The Musical as an attraction) - I don't do thrill rides either. I have never ridden E:E or M:S and only did TOT a few times and RNRC ONCE (and that was more than enough). But there is something about Dinosaur that I just adore. I think it is wonderful! That being said - I hold onto the handrail and spread my feet apart to help control the jerky movements. DS 8 has been riding since he was 3 (he is tall for his age) and loves it - but then again, he is a thrill junkie!

I could spend 1/2 day at DAK just riding Dinosaur! :mickey: