PDA

View Full Version : Questions about tent camping

ryca1dreams
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Okay, if I were to camp at WDW, it would be strictly tent camping. So, I have a couple of questions for tent campers:
- What loops are for tents? What is your favorite area?
- Do they have water and electricity (I don't understand the preferred/non-preferred)?
- Do you normally drive to the parks or take the bus or boat?
- Do you (tent campers) bring stoves to cook or just go to Disney restaurants?

Any other WDW tent camping specific knowledge would be great.

faline
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
It's been quite a well since we've done any tent camping but our first few trips to Disney were as campers in a tent.

Tents can use any site they want though my understanding is that the sites set up for RV's have fairly large pads which might interfere with tent set-up. We camped in a preferred site which contained both electric and water and could have accommodated a Class A. In fact, our neighbors with A's, C's and pop-ups. Of course, if you camp in one of the RV sites with a tent, you'd still pay the same per night price as the RV even if you don't have much use for the hookups.

We typically would park our vehicle at our site and use Disney transportation. Whether you want to do that or drive yourself to the parks is up to you. From most points in Fort Wilderness, you need to board two buses or a bus and a boat to get to a park.

At Disney, we typically did not cook at our campsite though this is certainly an option. We mostly used it as a base for sleeping, spent our days at the parks and ate out. Eac site comes equipped wit a grill area and/or you can use your camp stove.

jonahbear2006
05-02-2011, 05:56 PM
preferred is also location, thats the 1,2,300 loops which are within walking distance to the marina, beach, playground, hoop dee doo, crocketts tavern, the gift shop, and trails end. This also puts you next to the bus that can get you to the pool so its one less bus to hop. We use our car when we camp, except for magic kingdom and epcot. We use the MK boat for those two. Our car is right there so i cant see using a bus to get to the other parks, esp. since its quite a bit faster to drive. Getting around disney world is amazingly easy with a GPS. Just enter all the locations before you get there and it will be soo easy, you will write home about it. We bring a cool edge grill for pancakes, grilled cheese, etc.... also bring a microwave and then if we want to use a campfire we just go to campfire movie night. That keeps me from being responsible for it. As I understand, FW, now allows for small firepits as long as they have lids. We have yet to have tried this and I am unaware if they sell firewood even. I guess you could just buy firestarter blocks of wood and bring them with.

Georgesgirl1
05-03-2011, 10:31 AM
It has been awhile since we camped in tents, but I will try to answer your questions.
-It seems like some loops are more big RVs, and then other are pop-ups and tents. No clue what loops are what though.
- You do have electrical and water.
- We drive everywhere except Magic Kingdom. We do this no matter what resort we stay at though. We just aren't huge fans of Disney Transportation.
-We have occasionally cooked in our pop-up (breakfast type things mostly), but we usually just eat out.

joonyer
05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
All campsites at FW have electrical and water hookups. Preferred sites also have cable TV.
We like to use a crock pot for slow cooked meals ready to eat for supper when we return to our campsite after a long day at the parks. We use a pop-up camper (glorified tent camping). We just set the crock pot on the picnic table with an extension cord so as not to risk a fire in the camper. So far, we have never had any critters invade our meals. :D