PDA

View Full Version : Refillable mugs

BigG007
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
We are staying at 2disney resorts next week and I am wondering if I buy a refillable mug at my first resort, can I use it at the second?

brownie
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
The official policy printed on the mugs is that they can only be used at the resort where they were purchased for the length of your stay.

Goofster
04-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I disagree. It actually says "Free refills until the end of your stay" on the mug. We purchased one at POR on the first day of our trip this past March and then switched to Boardwalk the very next day. At Boardwalk, they said I could use the mug since our "stay" did not end until Friday when we left WDW for home.

brownie
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I disagree. It actually says "Free refills until the end of your stay" on the mug. We purchased one at POR on the first day of our trip this past March and then switched to Boardwalk the very next day. At Boardwalk, they said I could use the mug since our "stay" did not end until Friday when we left WDW for home.

Here's what the mugs say that we got on our trip in December 2010: "Refills available at no additional charge at Resort Beverage Islands located in the resort that this mug was purchased through the end of your resort stay." From what I've seen, this has not changed with the 2011 mugs and the signs at the beverage stations reflect the same. The key is only using it at the resort where it was purchased.

Cast members may allow it but that doesn't mean that is Disney's official policy on it.

CleveRocks
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe you got some leftover mugs. Because the OFFICIAL policy changed in January 2009 to allow their use at "our resort beverage idlands" rather than only in the resort at which that exact mug was purchased. It's also part of the reason they switched to a generic mug rather than resort-specific mugs.

BigG007
04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the Info

I will purchase them a soon as I can :)

MNNHFLTX
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Maybe you got some leftover mugs. Because the OFFICIAL policy changed in January 2009 to allow their use at "our resort beverage idlands" rather than only in the resort at which that exact mug was purchased. It's also part of the reason they switched to a generic mug rather than resort-specific mugs.This does not appear to be true. I just got one of the new refillable mugs in February with the following statement printed on it: "Refills available at no additional charge at Resort Beverage Islands located in the resort that this mug was purchased through the end of your resort stay. " To me that pretty clearly says that the mug is intended for use in the resort where it was purchased. In fact, this is the same wording found on the mug that I bought in 2009. As far as split-stays, it doesn't hurt to ask CM's if it's okay to use the mug at the second resort. But I don't think we can answer the question more definitively than that. :mickey:

cer
04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
As far as split-stays, it doesn't hurt to ask CM's if it's okay to use the mug at the second resort.

I agree that it would be absolutely reasonable to ask the question.

Stickey
04-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I would apply a common sense approach. The mugs are not resort specific, therefore it is not likely that Disney's intention is to penalize those who split resorts. Generic mug= length of overall stay.

MNNHFLTX
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I would apply a common sense approach. The mugs are not resort specific, therefore it is not likely that Disney's intention is to penalize those who split resorts. Generic mug= length of overall stay.It's more likely the mugs are not resort-specific anymore for Disney's convenience in marketing them, not necessarily because they want to encourage people to re-use them at all the resorts. Anyway, the policy is stated on the side of the cup.

DizneyRox
04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
It's more likely the mugs are not resort-specific anymore for Disney's convenience in marketing them, not necessarily because they want to encourage people to re-use them at all the resorts. Anyway, the policy is stated on the side of the cup.
I too suspect this is the case. They are cheaper to purchase in larger quantities and signage would be cheaper as well since the picture of the mug doesn't need to change based on the resort mug on the sign.

The wording is a clear indication of the intent of the program. If a guest has to purchase two mugs to be in compliance, that's doesn't hurt Disney in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if CMs give differing answers because they just don't care enough to police the issue and really, are they going to have guests produce receipts? It's one of those things that penalize the honest people and does nothing to thwart the dishonest people.

The worst case for Disney is the same number of refillable mug sales, however lower costs to purchase the mugs, etc.

DisneyPrincess21
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
:beat:

TammiMcMan
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
What's interesting is that the policy printed on the mug, may be different to that stated on their signs at the counter service. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture now, but I do remember the signs stating the mugs were good at any resort refillable station through the length of stay. I'd be interested to see what the signs say now.

Disney-4-Me
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Oh for the days when the mugs were specific to the resort.

That doesn't necessarily stop people though. I've seen people using regular mugs from home.:(

Poohshoneypot
04-27-2011, 09:57 PM

love it!

Melanie
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM

Indeed!

In my almost 10 years on this site, this topic has been the one constant. And there is never a clear resolution and I don't forsee one anytime soon.

Magic Smiles
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
And then there are us who bought the mugs that are good forever. We have 2 of them. One which is the larger style which holds much more beverage and I love for my morning coffee. I took that one back with us once, but only once. Now we just purchase 3 new mugs every trip.

PopPhan
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
OK...The point has been hashed and rehashed many times over on this, and many other, threads, BUT the point is moot.

I am NOT condoning breaking policy, but to see the number of people that bring ANY mug to the refill stations -- even non-Resort mugs, I cannot see how using the same RESORT PURCHASED MUG throughout your stay, not matter how many resorts you split your stay between.

We have only been visiting since 2003, so all our mugs have been Length-Of-Stay mugs.

Goofster
04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
And then there are us who bought the mugs that are good forever. We have 2 of them. One which is the larger style which holds much more beverage and I love for my morning coffee. I took that one back with us once, but only once. Now we just purchase 3 new mugs every trip.

I used to do that with a mug from a trip back in 2001, but my DW won't let me do it anymore. She said the mug is too worn out looking and she's afraid a cast member will yell at us! :D So it's been downgraded to the kid's bathtub for rinsing out shampoo from their hair.

LVT
04-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I have asked a CM and they said "length of stay, not just 1 resort". Not that they are always right.

mook3y
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I used to do that with a mug from a trip back in 2001, but my DW won't let me do it anymore. She said the mug is too worn out looking and she's afraid a cast member will yell at us! :D So it's been downgraded to the kid's bathtub for rinsing out shampoo from their hair.

This is a great re-purposing of these mugs - especially when the seal quits working and it becomes a dribble cup. :D

big blue and hairy
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
This is a great re-purposing of these mugs - especially when the seal quits working and it becomes a dribble cup. :D Well, that could be fun too, depending who you give it to...:secret:

:sulley:

Pan
05-05-2011, 01:36 AM
I actually stood behind a guest one night 2 weeks ago who was bragging about still using the mug she bought in 2001. I know the CM's don't really police the soda fountains, but this seemed to be pushing it a little too far for me. We buy new mugs every trip, because that seems to be the rules. I really don't want to raise my kids with the idea that you should do something just because you can get away with it. I can understand using the same mug if you change resorts on the same trip, but 10 years seems to be pushing it. I'd even spring for new ones even if we visited twice in the same year, but that may just be me.

JoF
05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Well it still is excellent value if you purchase new mugs at each visit.
In the UK we do NOT get free refils - if a diet soda costs £2 and you get another one then its another £2. This is the same for coffee, tea or any other soft drink.
I do believe that if Disney has a policy then they should stick to it.
Just my:twocents::mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
. I really don't want to raise my kids with the idea that you should do something just because you can get away with it.

Now this is a fantastic statement!!! :thumbsup: If only more people were like you the world would be a better place.
And we don't get the mugs so it's not an issue for us. (and we're not bringing our cups from home either! :noway:

lylone
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
We just left on Saturday and we bought our mugs at POFQ and were able to use them at our "home" resort BC. We used them at the Poly also....no one said anything.

goofy4diz
05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Going to BLT in August, does anyone know where the refill station is in BLT? Do you have to go to Contemporary? Thanks for the help!!

Melanie
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Going to BLT in August, does anyone know where the refill station is in BLT? Do you have to go to Contemporary? Thanks for the help!!

You do!

Just FYI, there are now black mugs available in the new design. Blue, Pink, Yellow and Black.

wildernesslady
05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
You do!

Just FYI, there are now black mugs available in the new design. Blue, Pink, Yellow and Black.

Melanie, Do you have a picture of the new one? Thanks

Christine
05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Isn't there a sofa refill station at the BLT pool?
Maybe I'm thinking of vero beach ?- I'll find out memorial day weekend when we stay there and buy mugs.
The new design is cute- kind of a beach
scene. :cool:

caryrae
05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Melanie, Do you have a picture of the new one? Thanks

http://intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2146458&postcount=15

smsp
07-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Are there any "refillable" mugs within the Parks?

Thanks,

SMSP

Christine
07-03-2011, 01:27 AM

There is a soda station at the BLT pool bar. They closed at 7pm and then you can go to the contemporary. :)

wdwfansince75
07-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Well, I asked a bus driver, and he said that they are changing them next year, and you can use them at all resorts, the parks, Starvin' Marvin's and South of the Border.

brownie
07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Are there any "refillable" mugs within the Parks?

Thanks,

SMSP

:welcome:

SMSP, welcome to INTERCOT!

Although you can get souvenir mugs in the parks, they are not refillable.

A Big Kid
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Well it still is excellent value if you purchase new mugs at each visit.
In the UK we do NOT get free refils - if a diet soda costs £2 and you get another one then its another £2. This is the same for coffee, tea or any other soft drink.
I do believe that if Disney has a policy then they should stick to it.
Just my:twocents::mickey:

And you dont even get ice!!!

CleveRocks
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, I asked a bus driver, and he said that they are changing them next year, and you can use them at all resorts, the parks, Starvin' Marvin's and South of the Border.

Bus drivers are notorious carriers of really bad rumors.

Disney is a huge company. It is very rare that someone in one role will have ANY advance notice of something that doesn't affect their role in any way.

So any info a Disney Transport cast member has that doesn't involve Disney Transport, don't count on it coming true.

There's simply no mechanism within Disney that they use to tell everyone about operational changes that don't affect their role. The cast members have access to "The Hub" (their sort-of intranet for work info), but, for example, if there is a change in pool policy it's not like the Housekeeping CMs are going to be told about it via The Hub or by their managers, and so on.

Aurora
07-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Bus drivers are notorious carriers of really bad rumors.

Disney is a huge company. It is very rare that someone in one role will have ANY advance notice of something that doesn't affect their role in any way.

So any info a Disney Transport cast member has that doesn't involve Disney Transport, don't count on it coming true.

There's simply no mechanism within Disney that they use to tell everyone about operational changes that don't affect their role. The cast members have access to "The Hub" (their sort-of intranet for work info), but, for example, if there is a change in pool policy it's not like the Housekeeping CMs are going to be told about it via The Hub or by their managers, and so on.

Not only that, but I sometimes think SOME bus drivers give out "fun" misinformation for their own entertainment.

Aurora
07-03-2011, 11:38 PM
On the subject, you can do a Google image search for the signs on the beverage station. Here's what they say:

"Unlimited refills available from the beverage station until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased. The beverage station offers soft drinks, iced tea, coffee, hot chocolate, and hot tea."

Possibly the reason CMs say you can use the mugs again during a split "stay" is because the signs are vague enough that people might argue about them. And it's costing Disney virtually nothing to make the guest happy in this case.

darthmacho
07-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I suspect my reply was deleted. I hope anyone that read it realizes I was just kidding and wasn't offended. I'll log out now. 10 years and 4800+ posts. It was a nice run. :mickey:

JasonH
07-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Man this topic always comes up now and then. The way I see it is this. With the policy on the new mugs, yes I will buy new ones and only use it that trip. Next trip, I'll typically have to buy a new one b/c the design has changed and I don't want to get in trouble for using an old mug. Now, if I ever stay at CBR again, I will be bringing an old mug of mine from the resort I had gotten years ago. Sure it's 20-25 years old, but the policy for that mug at the time I bought it is that it's good for life for that resort (which I'd say if you can't see the CBR logo on it anymore, it's dead then and I'll have to get a new mug). And I will argue that point until I can't use it anymore. Lucky for WDW, that's the ONLY mug I have with that policy attached to it, so they'll still be getting my money for any future mugs when I stay at any of the other resorts. :D

brian2000boston
07-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Now, if I ever stay at CBR again, I will be bringing an old mug of mine from the resort I had gotten years ago. Sure it's 20-25 years old, but the policy for that mug at the time I bought it is that it's good for life for that resort (which I'd say if you can't see the CBR logo on it anymore, it's dead then and I'll have to get a new mug). And I will argue that point until I can't use it anymore. Lucky for WDW, that's the ONLY mug I have with that policy attached to it, so they'll still be getting my money for any future mugs when I stay at any of the other resorts. :D

You should, you paid for that cup and that was the agreement Disney made.

On a side note: I think it is funny how people get so emotional over what probably costs Disney very little money to offer which is the soft drinks. With the costs of everything else and the fact that a drink from a soda dispenser must cost penny's...Disney probably thinks it costs more to police this silly issue then to just let people have it. Everyone should use their best judgement as to what the wording on THEIR cup means since it appears to change frequently.

And for those who think that people shouldnt continue to use their old cups, if they bought lifetime mugs then they have the right to use it forever, that was the contractual agreement Disney was willing to make when they sold this cup style.

mgmnut
07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I would say if I bought a non-specific resort mug during a split stay, I would think I could use the mug throughout my entire stay, even after the resort shift, and not feel I was pulling anything that was against the rules. If I pay $12.99 for a mug, I would not think I would have to pay that again on the same trip. I would not however bring it back with me on my next trip to try to use it again.

I am with the other posters who said that is a bad example for your children to try to bend the rules just because you can get away with it, and I totally agree.

Some people go through life seeing what they can "get". It becomes a game and a challenge for them and I'm sure you will find some of them bragging to thier friends on how they got this or complained enough just to get that. Some people complain even when there was nothing wrong because it is "part of the game", the aqueaky wheel thing. It all comes down to morrals. Of course I am not just talking about getting $0.02 worth of soda.

I for one will miss the resort specific mugs. I have my CBR Mugs, I have my Port Orleans Mugs, and I would have loved to be able to grab some Wildreness Lodge Mugs. It is a souvineer of your trip and a reminder of where you stayed. I always think of my past trips when I pull out and use one of my old mugs. To me the memories are well worth the $12.99

A Big Kid
07-04-2011, 10:18 AM
You should, you paid for that cup and that was the agreement Disney made.

On a side note: I think it is funny how people get so emotional over what probably costs Disney very little money to offer which is the soft drinks. With the costs of everything else and the fact that a drink from a soda dispenser must cost penny's...Disney probably thinks it costs more to police this silly issue then to just let people have it. Everyone should use their best judgement as to what the wording on THEIR cup means since it appears to change frequently.

And for those who think that people shouldnt continue to use their old cups, if they bought lifetime mugs then they have the right to use it forever, that was the contractual agreement Disney was willing to make when they sold this cup style.

You are trying to rationalize bad behavior. WDW makes the rules on WDW property. If you dont like the rules, you have two options. #1) Learn to like them or #2) Dont go.

Not an option is flouting the rule by trying to justify that WDW makes too much money.

wdwfansince75
07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=CleveRocks;2185458]Bus drivers are notorious carriers of really bad rumors.

No, really? And he seemed so sincere! So what part of my post was wrong? I don't stop at South of the Border (since it is 200 miles out of my way), but I do pass a large number of Starvin' Marvins...and a free refill is the only reason I would stop.

MNNHFLTX
07-04-2011, 01:23 PM
This thread was resurrected so that a new member could ask whether there are refillable mugs in the park--that question has been answered. There really is no point in continuing the unending debate over the proper use of refillable mugs, so the thread is closed