PDA

View Full Version : Knee Surgery: Rides I can ride?

rdhddstpchld93
04-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I just had knee surgery a week ago because I dislocated my knee and broke a piece of my knee cap off, and I'm going to Disney World in 2 weeks :mickey:. I got the OK from my dr to go, but as of right now I have to keep my leg straight. I need help with knowing what rides I can ride, so I can let my friends know ahead of time. I'm average hight (around 5'4"/5'5") and it hurts if my knee gets hit from either side.

Also, I've rented a wheelchair because I don't know if i'll be able to put any weight on my leg. I know that some of the rides of handicap lines, but should look into getting a GAC?

I'm grateful for any help or tips!

Strmchsr
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

First off, it doesn't sound like you need a GAC. That's for folks who require special assistance from the CMs or who have a special need that might not be readily apparent (like a child with a autistic disorder that can't be in large crowds or in line for a long time). My DS10 had a knee injury this past January and we rented him a scooter (much better than a wheelchair IMO and I'd recommend you look into it so you have more freedom and mobility). Didn't need a GAC. When he rolled up to the entrance, the CM's told him what he needed to do. You will need to watch for rides where transferring is required if you won't be able to do that. But, in general, I would say you'll need to avoid all of the "thrill" rides as most (if not all) of them would require you to bend your leg in the seat and the getting in and out could be difficult. The being unable to bend the leg will be the greatest hindrance as they can help you in and out of the rides, but that could be an issue. Also, because of the pain you experience when your leg is moved around I would avoid the thrill rides. I'm trying to think of any that would be okay, but I can really come up with any. So, slower moving things (SE, HM) are okay because you could stretch your leg out a bit more on those. Some rides like IASM and Safari don't require you to transfer. Some others may have specific suggestions, but you may just have to look at vehicles when you get there and decide which you can comfortably get into and which you can't.

medic9016
04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
After my knee surgery for close to the same thing, POTC,IASW, and Test track were really bad because of the short seats and haveing to bend my knee for so long. I avoided RRC. BTM may not be good either. I had a 4 month rehab before my trip.

Pirate Granny
04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
They will give you your own seat so you can keep your leg straight and side sideways on the seat on POC and IASW...I wouldn't try Test Track...too hard to get into the car...once you're in you probably could straighten out your leg if you were in the front seat, but I just wouldn't chance it...Mission Space is out...Soaring may be ok...just enjoy...and I would get a scooter...just practice a bit so you can get it on and off the buses. ENJOY and good luck.

PETE FROM NYC
04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
You will probably need to see each attraction and make your own decision.
Now, forget about a wheelchair, and rent a scooter from an outside vendor. Much cheaper than getting it at a park each day. I used Apple Scooters the last two trips.

rdhddstpchld93
04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I couldn't rent a scooter (even though I wanted to), but I got a wheel chair with a leg extender. I had to be able to take the wheel chair on multiple trips (I have to go to Six Flags on a bus the week before).

As for the rides, thanks for the suggestions. I'll just have to see if I'll be able to bend my knee a little, and just avoid a lot of thrill rides (much to my friends dismay). I've been a bunch of times before, so I won't be too put out. I just couldn't remember what the seating in the rides were like.