PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom Villas?

meloneyb21
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I am currently booked at SSR 1BR Villa but I've been thinking about AKV very seriously instead. I am just interested in what would be convenient for us. There will be 2 adults and 2 children ages 7 and 2. We will not have a car so will be using Disney transportation the whole time.

When comparing the two, which is more worth the money and time with 2 young children?

ETA: we're checking in on a Monday, checking out on a Friday if that matters or helps...and we'll have 3 day tickets.

Thanks!!!!

crazygoalie39
04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Personally, I like the theming much better at AKV, both the resort and the rooms. However, this comes at a price. You are far away from everything other than AK. So basically what it comes down to is whether you want to sacrifice not being close to everything for a better resort. If you plan to spend all of your time at the parks and not be at the resort that much I would go with SSR. If you plan to spend some time at the resort during the day and want to be able to eat right at your resort, go with AKV. That being said, unless you get a savanna view, I would stick with SSR. There's not really a reason to sacrifice being that far away unless you have that.

PixieDreams27
04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
AK without a doubt your best bet :thumbsup:

PrettyMinnie
04-25-2011, 12:38 AM
I would definitely vote AKV. The rooms are gorgeous and you have a lot of dining and recreation options. Location isn't that big of a deal to me though. Just hop on a bus, no worries. That may just be me though. :blush:

MCeee
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Yep... I've stayed at both, and can tell you:
1. The Disney feel at AKV is much deeper. SSR was not impressive at all to us. Probably won't stay there again.
2. People always talk about how that AKV is far away from everything except AK. Actually with to us it seemed it took a longer time to get from SSR to anywhere except DTD. There are 5 bus stops just within the SSR.

Totally agree with PrettyMinnie... location/distance is not a big deal to us.

TheRustyScupper
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
1) Any DVC is better than SSR.
2) SSR is basically a series of normal hotel buildings on the one property.
3) Nothing overly special.

magicalmom
04-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Having kids is the best reason to be at AKl, even if you only see the animals at breakfast time.

When you check in, ask if any bunk rooms are available. Happily, bunk rooms also tend to be savannah rooms, and I think you're more apt to be upgraded if you're looking for the bunks than if you're looking for the view - we were!

Even if you're not upgraded, you can see the animals from any number of balconies and viewing spots in the resort - I think our girls have clearer memories of the AKL than of any other resort/trip we've taken. The pool is great, the theming is amazing, and they've got the animals - they also have storytelling and other children's activities.

For you and DH - imagine breakfast coffee on your balcony with giraffes. One of our happiest vacations -

meloneyb21
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. We are officially booked at AKL Villas and are soooooooooo excited!

ThanxForNoticin
05-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Good choice. I would definitely tell you to try AKV. We've stayed at all the DVC resorts, and SSR is always at the bottom of our list. It's certainly not a bad place to stay, but it's just not as nice as any of the others. We have AKV and BCV on the top of the list. Enjoy your trip. I know your kids will...!

Fastpasssteve
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
While staying at the AKL, be sure to have a breakfast (and a dinner!!!) at Boma, a great restuarant in AKL Jambo House. It is just too delicious. And the smell of the food!

On another note, kids just LOVE the pool at the Villas at AKL. Good job! You will definitely enjoy this trip. Even if you don't get a Savannah view, there are many vantage points from which one can see the animals.

buzznwoodysmom
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
We've stayed at both and would pick AKL anyday over SSR. Actually we'd pick any WDW resort over SSR! We were not at all impressed with SSR and its the one property on site that I can honestly say we'll never stay at again. It was huge! I've heard people complain about some of the moderate resorts for their big size, but SSR was just way too big. And there was really no themeing. If felt like any plain hotel that could have be located anywhere. Nothing special at all. AKL on the other hand is soooo special. Its one of our favorite resorts in WDW! I think you'll be super happy with your choice!

DisneyaHolic
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
While I don't think it is as convenient, I prefer Animal Kingdom Lodge. The theming is so amazing, and when I took my nephew, he couldn't get enough of watching the animals every morning as I was getting ready.

Simbajr4ever
05-27-2011, 04:11 PM
We stayed at both and agree AKV. We just stayed at kidani and it is awesome. Always thought it looked toooooooo far out. SSR is actually got worse transportation. and much less convient.

Good choice. :mickey: