PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Decoration Take Down

kelly.garrett
04-24-2011, 06:38 AM
I am thinking about planning a trip in January, and I am wondering about how soon the holiday decorations are taken down. I am especially interested in the Osborne Lights and hotel decorations, like the Grand Floridian's gingerbread house.

Thanks!

Altair
04-24-2011, 07:51 AM
New Year's day is on a Sunday next year, so the Osborne Lights will probably go dark on Monday the second. The castle lights may be on a few days after that. All the decorations should start coming down soon after, although they were slow to come down this year. :mickey:

Strmchsr
04-24-2011, 08:10 AM
My experience going in early January is similar to what Dave described. The Osborne Lights will have an announced shut off time and it's usually in the Jan 2-4 timeframe. The rest of it comes down over a couple of weeks. So, some decorations are still up until mid-January, but the major stuff comes down first and is usually down by the end of the first week of January. Two years ago the castle lights stayed on until Jan 12 or so, but this year they cut off much earlier. So, it's hard to say exactly when stuff will be down, but it's fairly quick.

A Big Kid
04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
My wife and I go pretty regular during marathon weekend. (usually the first full weekend in January.) I can remember in years past, we would be able to see the Osborne lights, but no so much any more.

There still is some decorations up during marathon weekend, but after the marathon, they start coming down (at night) at a frantic pace.

Melanie
04-24-2011, 09:03 AM
There still is some decorations up during marathon weekend, but after the marathon, they start coming down (at night) at a frantic pace.

We've found this to be true as well. For example this year, the Animal Kingdom Lodge tree came down on Saturday night, January 8. Saturday it was there in all it's glory and Sunday morning...gone.

MinnieMommie
04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
During January 2010 we went to HS to see the Osborn Lights. We were there for the marathon and came in January 1st. I just checked my trip itinerary (where I list all park hrs and specials) and see that the Osborn Lights were through January 4th in 2010. May be different in 2011 though. :mickey: