PDA

View Full Version : Brazillian Press Reporting Pavilion in Epcot

Strmchsr
04-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Take it for what's it's worth, but one of my friends in Brazil sent me this from their newspaper Folha (which is the 2nd largest newspaper in San Palo). This is translated from Portugese:

Brazil got a seat in a great international “forum”: Disney. Representatives from the greatest theme park complex in the world approached the federal government this week to announce they’ll include a Brazilian pavilion at Epcot Center, in Orlando (USA). The country will be featured alongside nations such as the US, China, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico and Canada.

Two ministers will assemble teams to help with the undertaking: Helena Chagas of SECOM (Bureau of Social Communication) and Fernando Pimentel of Development. They will provide information about Brazil to help the park build the pavilion. The government’s expectations is one of great return for tourism.

At least this isn't a "I heard it from a Cast Member on the bus" rumor, and some of the other Disney sites are reporting this, too. It would make sense, but I'm not sure how excited it makes me to think of even more huge Brazil tour groups coming.

MarkC
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
You are correct that this country makes more economic sense than any of them. I'm kind of curious as to whether Disney would ever build a theme park in Brazil, as they have in Paris, Japan and Hong Kong.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
cool!

btharvey
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of curious as to whether Disney would ever build a theme park in Brazil, as they have in Paris, Japan and Hong Kong.And soon to be Shanghai, I hear.

BluewaterBrad
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I have to laugh. Will the anti- tour group crowd boycott World Showcase?:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Chris! :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Disney doesn't just show up and announce that they will feature a country in WS. The host country has to PAY a sponsorship fee to be included.

This story would be more believable if the article mentioned that representatives from Disney had met with representatives from the government of Brazil, and BRAZIL had agreed to host a pavilion in Epcot. Not the other way around.

Strmchsr
04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
This story would be more believable if the article mentioned that representatives from Disney had met with representatives from the government of Brazil, and BRAZIL had agreed to host a pavilion in Epcot. Not the other way around.

I agree, Natalie. I suppose it's possible that is what actually happened and the news agency wrote it wrong (not everyone knows the way Disney works like we do). It's also possible it was mistranslated. I didn't post the original article because I didn't figure most of our folks spoke Portuguese.

MOJoe
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Lots of different angles to this story. Brazil's government to sponser a pavilion in Orlando to promote tourism to Brazil? More BTGs to come to WDW so they can visit their native pavilion? Makes my head spin.

I like the idea of a Brazil pavillion, rumor or not. Again, lots of different directions that can be taken. Ipanema anyone?
Well, maybe at least there will be a nice Steak House.

BowTie7
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Does the sponsorship have to come from a government or could it be with a group of corporate sponsors. Brazil would certainly yield a great restaurant.

Stu29573
04-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Disney doesn't just show up and announce that they will feature a country in WS. The host country has to PAY a sponsorship fee to be included.

This is not exactly true. Companies can pay for the sponsorship (and usually are really the one's doing it, Norway is a prime example). However, I do agree that more details on who is paying would have made it more believable...

JPL
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
World Showcase could certainly use some new life to it. If this is true I'm just hoping they go the route of a nice attraction featuring the Rainforest along with the other aspects of the pavillion.

Strmchsr
04-24-2011, 05:42 PM
World Showcase could certainly use some new life to it. If this is true I'm just hoping they go the route of a nice attraction featuring the Rainforest along with the other aspects of the pavillion.

Ya know, Jeff, the Rainforest thing actually makes this make even more sense. Disney is pushing big on the "green" thing right now so using Brazil and the rainforest would make sense, on top of the already huge groups coming from Brazil.

PrettyMinnie
04-25-2011, 12:59 AM
If this is true, I like the idea. There was just a thread that mentioned the under representation of South American countries. It sure would be nice to have a new addition to WS!

Mousemates
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
would be a great addition if it turns out to be for real....would also add some interesting new dining possibilities.

Ian
04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
would be a great addition if it turns out to be for real....would also add some interesting new dining possibilities.Mmmmmmmmmm ... Brazilian steakhouse ..... :tasty:

Melanie
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I guess I'm the only one not thrilled about this rumor. Hope it's not true. Brazil? :unsure:

BrerGnat
04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I guess I'm the only one not thrilled about this rumor. Hope it's not true. Brazil? :unsure:

Do you have a problem with thongs and unruly children? :D

Melanie
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM

I guess so. I can just think of a bunch more interesting countries I'd rather see come to World Showcase.

On the other hand....is there any good Brazilian beer? ;)

shadowden
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM

He, he, he... ;)

Ian
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Do you have a problem with thongs ... Depends on who's wearing it!

I guess so. I can just think of a bunch more interesting countries I'd rather see come to World Showcase.Really? South America isn't representated at all in WS ... it's essentially the only continent with no country present ... so I think it's a good choice. Plus, as others have mentioned, it provides a lot of options as far as an attraction and dining go.

I kinda like it, although I doubt it'll happen anyway.

magicman
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I would be glad to see anything new in the World Showcase.

Any guesses/thoughts on where it would be located?

Also, does anyone have any insight on how country sponsorships work? (For example, does the country pay the full cost of creating the pavilion, then Disney handles the upkeep, or is it a joint venture perpetually, etc.)

Strmchsr
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Any guesses/thoughts on where it would be located?

Also, does anyone have any insight on how country sponsorships work? (For example, does the country pay the full cost of creating the pavilion, then Disney handles the upkeep, or is it a joint venture perpetually, etc.)

Location would be difficult to say. The place with the most room would be removing and replacing the Millennial Pavilion. The other option is over next to Germany before the bridge to China. However, they store most of the stuff for Illuminations directly behind that area and would have to reconfigure everything if the new country went there. So, they have some options, but any option will require reworking things a bit.

As for how it's handled, the country in question handles a lot of the original cost and they share some of the ongoing expenses. But, it's been almost 30 years since a new country went in, so who knows how Disney would handle it now? It might be a completely new model of sponsorship.

seanyred
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
If I had my choice I would prefer Australia over Brazil. But if the rumors end up being true it would be nice to have a new a pavilion in WS.

On a side note it would be also nice if Germany did get the Rhine boat ride. But we all know that that will never happen.

meldan98
04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
It would be great if they had a Brazillian Steakhouse. Maybe it would take some pressure off of Le Cellier.

It would also be a good locaiton for an Up! attraction. Please no, Pixar grumbles.

As far as location, I think the only really good location would be between China and Germany.

MN_Rose
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I would love to have Brazil there. They certainly have an iconic statue they can replicate to quickly brand the area. And Brazilian food is really good, feijoada...yum! I would love to see a "Soarin" ride over all the different areas of Brazi: rainforest, beaches, etc. I hope this is one rumor that comes true!

joonyer
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
. . .
I like the idea of a Brazil pavillion, rumor or not. Again, lots of different directions that can be taken. Ipanema anyone? . . .

I just hope they bring the "Girl"

That's always been one of my favorite songs, and I have always imagined her as the most beautiful girl in the world.

But back to this discussion, In addition to beaches, rainforests, etc. they could also have a (virtual) replica of the cable car ride to SugarLoaf Mountain, maybe kinda like Soarin'.

MarkC
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
You can do a google earth overview of the World Showcase and see there are a couple of gaps that would leave room for another country.

Its also suprising to see how close some of the countries are to Epcot Center Drive, which is right behind their building.

Melanie
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Really? South America isn't representated at all in WS ... it's essentially the only continent with no country present ...

Yeah, really. I can see I'm in the minority, but to be honest, this part of the world really doesn't interest me. :blush:

If we have to have a SA country, how about Columbia so we could get some good coffee at WDW? :D

Scar
04-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I always thought Brazil made the most sense, and now with the World Cup and the Olympics coming this decade, it makes even more sense. Brazil has some amazing food that most Americans are not familiar wilth. But, they better have a top notch attraction or don't even bother.

....is there any good Brazilian beer? ;) Not sure, but why would Disney care. Look what they did in Norway. :shake:

Ed
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
One of the local TV stations - I don't remember which one - reported this Saturday as being a "done deal". Of course, now I can't find anything about it on any of their websites... :shrug:

ransam
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM
i really hope this is true.

Ian
04-26-2011, 08:09 AM
If I had my choice I would prefer Australia over Brazil.Yeah, I could see Australia. Although really the main property that would go in there would be Nemo (figure the Great Barrier Reef is the best known feature of Australia) and he's already got a pavilion so could be a tougher "fit."

If we have to have a SA country, how about Columbia so we could get some good coffee at WDW? :DMmmmmmmm yeah ... didn't figure that angle. I think I'm withya!

btw podcast fodder here ...

Strmchsr
04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
If we have to have a SA country, how about Columbia so we could get some good coffee at WDW? :D

I spent 2 weeks in Colombia back in January doing disaster response for their floods. I can tell you that the "Colombian" Coffee that we have in the USA is about as Colombian as the Mexican food at Taco Bell is Mexican. Real Colombian coffee is strong enough to pour itself!

BrerSchultzy
04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I realize it's close to Future World, but I always wondered, after they closed Odyssey, how easy it could be to turn it into either a gateway to the World Showcase, or a brand new country, like Australia. It's prime real estate for the park. Instead of trying to squeeze Brazil into a tiny corner, they could get plenty of space there.

My wife, however, suggests that Odyssey should be turned in to an Epcot Museum.

Ian
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I realize it's close to Future World, but I always wondered, after they closed Odyssey, how easy it could be to turn it into either a gateway to the World Showcase, or a brand new country, like Australia. It's prime real estate for the park. Instead of trying to squeeze Brazil into a tiny corner, they could get plenty of space there.

My wife, however, suggests that Odyssey should be turned in to an Epcot Museum.They use the Odyssey space quite a bit for special events, corporate gatherings, and things like that. I doubt they'd do away with that space since I think it's fairly lucrative for them.

Scar
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM

My wife, however, suggests that Odyssey should be turned in to an Epcot Museum.I used to work with one of the engineers that worked on designing and building the Odyssey. He said it was very difficult and expensive because it is basically built over marsh land and is entirely on pilings. I doubt Disney would be willing to spend the money to turn that space into solid ground.

JPL
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Instead of trying to squeeze Brazil into a tiny corner, they could get plenty of space there.

There is room in World Showcase for more pavillions I'm not 100% sure how many but I think it's at least room for 6 more. They could always use the space for the never realized African Pavillion for Brazil.

TracyL
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Not that they're likely to ask my opinion, but I am in favor of Brazil having a pavilion (and anyway it's fun to say "Brazilian Pavilion"). I also would like to see Kenya or Nigeria, Korea, and Australia. And something Middle Eastern like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, or UAE -- they certainly have more than enough money to pay for it, and it might help with the whole "world peace" thing....

Brazil is likely to have the money and the inclination. Bring it -- maybe it will motivate others to follow!

PopeCharming
04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, if this is true, its worth pointing out that this will be the first Epcot pavilion hosting a country south of the equator. 'bout time the Southern hemisphere got some love.

sportsguy2315
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
For the record, Norway opened in May 1988, so we'd be looking at a 23 year gap between countries. Using Norway as a template (albeit in a much better economic condition), an Orlando Sentinel article on December 30, 1985 announced the start of construction in "early 1986" and construction would take 18 months. Under that math, Norway should have opened in roughly July-October of 1987 and no real explanation for the delay between the two dates. Of course, Brazil's two hurdles are sponsors (Which will be hard in this economy) and WS space (Disney can figure that out, I'm sure :cool: )

BrowncatP
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
If this story about Brazil comming to the World Showcase is true, all I can say is that its about time for something new. EPCOT is great for the first time visitor. For most of us multiple time visitors, EPCOT is nice to look at but a bit boring.

beksy
04-29-2011, 02:05 AM
I think this could be a great addition to the WS. I hadn't thought about it before this thread but now I can see some promising ideas for a Brazilian Pavilion. I would be happy with this, but I'd also love to see something like Egypt or Australia. I love to travel and WS gives me a chance to see some more of the world a little bit so I'd be happy with any additions.

Ramblingman
05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Two thoughts on this possible addition:

First, with all these infamous tour groups, a Brazil pavillion would either be the most crowded space in Epcot, or the least crowded.

Second, a Brazil pavillion would certainly open the door to some very interesting parades through the World Showcase. Not sure it would meet Disney decency standards, however. LOL.

MinnieMommie
05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I would be thrilled if Brasil joins WS. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. It is a diverse country rich in resources and culture. Even Walt visited and drew inspiration from the Brasilian music, dance and people. They could add so much to WS. :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I agree!

Mousemates
05-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Bump - anything new on this anyone? ....would love to see something significant come in and add some new life to the world showcase.

darthmacho
05-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I suggested Brazil years ago, right here on these boards. It's nice to know that someone has been listening...:mickey:

Scar
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I suggested Brazil years ago, right here on these boards. It's nice to know that someone has been listening...:mickey:Disney just had to wait for the statute of limitations to run out so you can't sue them for the idea. :D

SandmanGStefani24
05-22-2011, 06:04 PM

not by a longshot!

ANY country but Brazil!!

Russia? Australia? New Zealand? Spain?

Crow
05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
why not brazil? id like to see a new country. dont have any particular preference

big blue and hairy
05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I have a preference, but I don't understand the "any country but Brazil" comment...

:sulley:

SandmanGStefani24
05-24-2011, 07:51 PM
I have a preference, but I don't understand the "any country but Brazil" comment...

what's not to understand? i would like to see many other countries besides brazil. no hidden messages or agendas. I was just agreeing with Melanie.

Melanie
05-24-2011, 08:06 PM
And like I explained earlier, I just have no interest in this part of the world. Just personal preference, and I'd rather see many other countries come to WS before Brazil.

big blue and hairy
05-25-2011, 12:43 PM
what's not to understand? i would like to see many other countries besides brazil. no hidden messages or agendas. I was just agreeing with Melanie.

What's to understand, you clarified. Many is different than any. Wanting a different country I understand, I'd prefer Spain or Greece. Any sounds a little anti if you know what I mean, thanks for clarifying.

McLiberal8
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I could see Australia. Although really the main property that would go in there would be Nemo (figure the Great Barrier Reef is the best known feature of Australia) and he's already got a pavilion so could be a tougher "fit."

I wish they would return The Living Seas as a non-movie-themed area, and move the Nemo theme to a ride in an Australian Pavillion. As much as I enjoy Nemo, 'The Living Seas' is an original area of Epcot, and shouldn't be themed to ONE movie, IMHO.

Butters
08-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Has anyone heard of any update on this?

Crow
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
:thumbsup:to a new country finally if true.
about the choice? i dont have an opinion. i just know a new country is overdue.
and yes to :beer:

darthmacho
08-20-2011, 08:52 PM
a Brazil pavillion would certainly open the door to some very interesting parades through the World Showcase. Not sure it would meet Disney decency standards, however. LOL.
:eek::eyes::covered::blush:

I heard they're going to have a Bibbidi Bobbidi Bikini Wax in the new Brazil Pavilion...:secret:

DizneyFreak2002
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Has anyone heard of any update on this?

There hasn't been any updates.. Just that there are plans and designs made... Just waiting for greenlight to come... if it comes...

AXOAlum
08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
:eek::eyes::covered::blush:

I heard they're going to have a Bibbidi Bobbidi Bikini Wax in the new Brazil Pavilion...:secret:

:rotfl: :funny:

Where shall I send the bill for my laptop repair now that it is covered in the beverage I was drinking? (emphasis on WAS drinking... as it is now soaking my laptop!)

Mousemates
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
There hasn't been any updates.. Just that there are plans and designs made... Just waiting for greenlight to come... if it comes...

I hope it happens...world showcase needs something new to add a little energy to it.

DizneyFreak2002
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope it happens...world showcase needs something new to add a little energy to it.

WS needs a new country.... DAK need a new E ticket and land expansion... DHS needs a new, brand new ride not a refurb of an existing ride... MK needs it's first E ticket in how many years (no SDMC is not an e ticket and neither is Mermaid)...

I'd welcome Brazil in WS...

Ian
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd welcome Brazil in WS...I'd welcome Brazil in WS if it came with a new top-tier attraction, but if it was just another stop on the tour around WS with a restaurant and a couple of stores ... eh ... I could do without it.

DizneyFreak2002
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I'd welcome Brazil in WS if it came with a new top-tier attraction, but if it was just another stop on the tour around WS with a restaurant and a couple of stores ... eh ... I could do without it.

Someone on another site said plans do include some sort of ride... But he didn't describe the kind of ride it was to be...

SpecJoe Magic
09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I agree about WS needing a new high quality attraction. I don't even care if they add another country. Just give us a great new attraction, please!

That said, Brazil is a fine as far as I'm concerned. It's been so long since WS has gotten a new country that almost any new country would do.

Butters
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Plus the fact that a Brazilian steak house would instantly become my new favorite restaurant!