PDA

View Full Version : Busch Gardens Williamsburg

disney obsessed
04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi
Well I just wrote a detailed trip report and lost it. Funny how computers can sometimes be the greatest of magicians and make things disappear.....

I'll do an easier version.

We have spring break here in Virginia Beach this week. Everyone else decided to go there as well. It took an hour to get from the exit ramp of the highway into the park. That's about 3/4 mile. Lines were long but we did Flying over Europe, Griffon and Battering Ram.

Flying was new last year. I wish BG would step up their level of technology. I know it's out there but they just don't seem to get it right. They also have Dark Kastle. Both are a bit of a dissapointment to me. Some of it is very cool but the synching seems off to me and both leave me feeling a bit...uncomfortable. I also think they are going for the thrill level of adventure and I want a smooth dark ride. BG does coasters REALLY WELL. They are openig a new one next year. This year will see a new drop ride. Can't wait. If you are a thrill junky BG is for you!

The lines were long and we are close with summer passes, so after the frozen lemonade fix we went home. I hope to get out there five or six times this summer.

A quick hint. If you go, buy tickets on line and print it out. The line for buying tickets was several hundred people deep but we were in in about 5 minutes because we had the print out. Don't wait in line at the top of the hill. The actual entrance is at the bottom of the hill. :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi
Well I just wrote a detailed trip report and lost it. Funny how computers can sometimes be the greatest of magicians and make things disappear.....:

Been there done that:(.

We love Busch Gardens. Thanks for the trip report!

magicalmom
04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
We just returned from a trip to BG - I'm not allowed to do the coasters, so I wish to assure others who can't do coasters that there's quite a lot available for us also -

There are three very enjoyable music and dance shows: Celtic Fyre, Mix it Up, and the Oktober Fest. There are also two diverting animal shows, OK shopping, the train, a boat ride, the cable cars, and a variety of easier midway-type rides. Also, if you can do the water rides, there are three of those. DarKastle was OK for me - there are abrupt movements, and some rapid spinning, but most of the effects are visual. (If you're familiar with Universal IOA, think Spiderman Lite.) Europe in the Air is more like Star Tours Lite.

The people watching is also good - Ireland is the best place for people-watching, I think.

NJGIRL
04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Kate, it's been a few years since we have been to BG. Do they still have the ride with the leprechauns? I don't remember the name.

NJGIRL
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
=disney obsessed;2162633 I wish BG would step up their level of technology. I know it's out there but they just don't seem to get it right. They also have Dark Kastle. Both are a bit of a dissapointment to me. Some of it is very cool but the synching seems off to me and both leave me feeling a bit...uncomfortable. I also think they are going for the thrill level of adventure and I want a smooth dark ride.

One thing to remember is that Dar Castle is an older ride. It was there the last time we went to BG and that was a while ago. I remember riding it and thought it was pretty good at the time. Not as good as Spiderman, but at the time better than anything Disney had.

When I think of BG I think of rollercoasters. I believe that they focus mainly on making the biggest and fastest coasters along with the European theming. Everything else (to me at least) is an after thought. We really love the park but the rides (except for the coasters) are not their strong point. It is a very pretty park but alot of their rides fall short of giving you a start to finish experience.

magicalmom
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I think Europe in the Air replaced the leprechaun attraction - in the castle, with long twisty queue?

NJGIRL
05-19-2011, 06:34 AM
I think Europe in the Air replaced the leprechaun attraction - in the castle, with long twisty queue?

Thanks, it was so long ago I don't remember. I guess it's old age.:D