PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico?

Mfarquar
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I posted, but my husband and I are thinking of a last minute get-away in early June to Puerto Rico. We've found some really nice deals for some really nice hotels in the Condado area in San Juan.

I haven't been to Puerto Rico since I was a kid (around 1991). We were really excited to go, but have run into a few people who have expressed that Puerto Rico can be really dangerous and may not be such a good idea.

The information online doesn't seem like San Juan is any more dangerous for tourists than most major cities and that common sense and staying in the tourist areas goes a long way.

Have any of you been? What was your experience like? Did you enjoy it? Any recommendations or warnings?

We know it's hurricane season, but since we would be arriving in the very beginning of the season and would have travel insurance, we're willing to take our chances.

As always, I really appreciate your travel expertise!

CPT Trips
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
The San Juan area is a big city. There are "bad" sections of town. The Condando resort area is generally safe. Don't take valuables to the beach with you and stick to the "main drag" when walking (especially at night).

Old San Juan is also relatively safe. We enjoy it from the historic perspective, visit the forts. Also the restaraunts are good and the night life is fun.

In the daytime, I was quite comfortable using the buses to get around. At night, I preferred a taxi - but if there was a bus route from my hotel directly to Old San Juan, I would use it.

Although our climate is really wacky this year, hurricanes should not be a problem.

MarkC
04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Had a co-worker who just took a cruise from there a couple of months ago. He said he would never go there on vacation. Too much poverty and crime. He said unless you wanted to stay in your own resort the entire time it wasn't worth. Another friend just returned from St. Maarten and St. Kitts. He said both were wonderful and there was very little crime. You could leave resort during the daytime without much fear. Unfortunately you have to watch your surroundings a lot of places now, even in the good ol' USA.

tazlikesrobots
04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Stay outside San Juan. The resorts are better, however do plan a day trip to Old San Juan. The history and architecture is awesome....

Mfarquar
04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the information! Keep the info coming :)

I particularly want to stay away from St. Kitts and St. Maarten due to the US gov. travel guides for the area. There have been several violent crimes against tourists in these areas and they have experienced a very large jump in their crime rate recently. I also had a bad experience in St. Maarten years ago and probably won't be back.

We did find good safety ratings for Turks & Caicos, but we waited too long to book the flights (if I were to spend that much, I would definitely just go back to Hawaii). :(

However, I do find it weird that I can't find similar information about PR. The government travel sites don't include information on PR because it is a colony. I tend to wonder if some information is "kept under wraps" because of the tourism trade there.

So, I really appreciate everyone's insight any any personal experiences they've had!

Tazlikesrobots - Any suggestions for outside of San Juan? I would want to stay away from residential areas, but don't want to go as far as Vieques. My husband and I are very much into architecture, history and shopping, so we were planning on a couple to a few days in the Old San Juan area.

We also found some interesting tours that pick you up directly from the hotel - Erin Go Bragh sailing tours (full day trips that go to private islands and offer snorkeling) and Acampa Tours (rainforest and ziplining - highest rating on TripAdvisor). Anyone ever heard of them?

Thanks again!

NJGIRL
04-21-2011, 06:16 PM
We stopped at Old San Juan on a cruise. My husband wasn't feeling well so I got off the ship and walked around (shopped) by myself. I never felt it wasn't safe but this was during the day. I did see military with big guns at the dock. I don't know what that was about.

Mfarquar
04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks NJGIRL! That's good to know and nice to hear. We plan on exploring during the days and mainly taking taxis at night (sticking to the tourist spots), so this sounds good :)

tazlikesrobots
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
However, I do find it weird that I can't find similar information about PR. The government travel sites don't include information on PR because it is a colony. I tend to wonder if some information is "kept under wraps" because of the tourism trade there.

Actually Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US. I normally do not stay in the resorts since I have family there, but one of the nicest resorts I've stayed is called El conquistador resort (elconresort.com). The resort is on the far eastern side of the island has a beautiful view of the El Yunqe rain-forest. About the only drawback is that you need to take a ferry to the beach area. The hotel is built on the side of a cliff and it has a private island where the beach is located.

There are also some great resorts in the Dorado Beach area. I've not personally stayed there, but I've heard they are really nice resorts. Cehck out (embassysuitesdorado.com).

Hope this helps :)

BrerGnat
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
My sister and her boyfriend went to PR on vacation a couple years ago. They stayed at the Intercontinental San Juan (in Isla Verde). They had a fabulous time. The hotel has a beautiful beach and they spent most of their time there. They did the rainforest tour, visited El Morro and Old San Juan (used taxis to get around outside the resort). We are from PR, and have been several times, but this was a first time for my sister's boyfriend. He loved it and neither of them ever felt unsafe or uneasy. It's no worse than any major city stateside. As long as you're smart about your traveling, you'll be fine. The bonus is that since it's a U.S. Commonwealth, you won't have to worry about too much if you get into trouble. You'll have the same protections as if you were stateside.

TiggeRia
04-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I've left on several cruises from San Juan, and the first time we spent several days there prior to our departure. We stayed at a Sheraton in Old San Juan and really enjoyed it. We roamed around the old city, visited the forts, went on a Segway tour, ate out, and not once felt uneasy or uncomfortable. I think as long as you use your common sense and don't roam around on your own at night, you'll be fine. It's much like any other major city.