PDA

View Full Version : British Invasion Over

MOJoe
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I read on another Disney news site that the British Invasion will no longer be playing after the end of this month. Their contract was not renewed. Also, details of any replacement band are unclear at this point. I'm quite disturbed by this news. It's hard for me to imagine the Great Britian pavilion without some Beatles music. :(

Anyone else know anything about this?

BraddyB
04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
I hope not, I liked watching them. Grab a :beer: and some fish & chips and get a seat before they came on. Then just relax and enjoy the music

vicster
04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!

Jillirose
04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Very disappointing if true - we love them!

disneymom15
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Very disappointing if true - we love them!

Ditto!

PirateLover
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I hope that's not true. I have some great memories of them. Taking a break to listen to them/sing along is always one of my favorite things to do while leisurely drinking around the world :thumbsup::beer:

MarkC
04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I love these groups as well. I know over the years there have been at least 3-4 different groups, so I'm hoping they will just replace this agency with a similar one. They always get decent crowds who seem to enjoy them, us included.

KylesMom
04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I for one will be very curious to see how this plays out. While it's certainly possible that there's an entertainment change coming to the UK Pavilion, it could simply be that they aren't on the calendar until their contract is renewed (similar to non-Disney owned restaurants not on the dining plan/TiW lists until they re-up their agreement). I guess we'll find out shortly . . . did anyone else notice that Off Kilter is not on the May calendar either?

If you look at the June entertainment calendar for Epcot, many of the standard acts in the various World Showcase Pavilions are not yet on the schedule including these two popular bands - hence why I'm a bit skeptical until an official announcement is posted.

MOJoe
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
From The British Invasion Facebook page...

To Our Fans.

First thanks to all the fans of the British Invasion for all their support over the years!!

It has been an honor to perform for you and Disney all these years!
We have given our notice to Disney Talent and Casting that we wouldn’t be playing after April 30th some time ago. We will be back to play at Disney from time to time... and you will find those future dates posted on the British Invasion Facebook page!! Stay tuned for a british invasion fan appreciation party in May and details of our first concert appearance in downtown Orlando on May 14th.

Sincerely,
The British Invasion 2011Sure looks like it's over for the BI. So sad. They were by far my favorite entertainers in Epcot. I can only hope a quality replacement is found soon. Hopefully before my May trip.

Polynesian Dweller
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the post MOJoe. Sometimes it is the entertainer that wants to leave not Disney dropping their contract. As a matter of fact, on another site the group reports that they were offered a contract but decided to try the corporate and convention route instead. That's the kind of thing entertainers do when contracts are up for renewal, look at the options and decide their own future.

Mousemates
04-21-2011, 11:56 PM
will miss them...but glad its not Off Kilter leaving.

KylesMom
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, MOJoe. I hope that the UK Pavilion is once again rockin' next month for you! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
They have given many years of fine entertainment and will be missed! :(

ransam
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
maybe they can get the Ruttles to play.

dpamac
04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
maybe they can get the Ruttles to play.

Well, we know that all they need is cash so maybe they will. ;)

I'm going to miss this band. I always loved grabbing a beer and sitting and listening to them. Even more, when my daughter was about four I was doing such and my daughter was dancing to "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat" when Winnie the Pooh walked up behind her, tapped her on the shoulder and started dancing with her. Trip made in one moment.

Dopey's Girl
04-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Sad. I loved getting a beverage in France and enjoying the show!

Melanie
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Last performances at Epcot are this Saturday, 4/30. :(

5togetherWDW
05-01-2011, 07:43 AM
An Entertainment site now lists

"The British Airwaves".
Not sure how much it will be the same . . . .
On the EPCOT Live Entertainment for May 1 - 7, 2011 it says "The British Airwaves".
"British rock-n-roll from the 60s to the 80s.
Tuesday-Friday at 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, 7:00 & 8:00pm
Saturday at 3:00, 4:30, 6:00 & 7:00pm
Length of show: 20 minutes"
So . . . let's hope someone will post on Tuesday (I'd check them out were we able to be in Fl, this week . . ..)

kemps@wdw
05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Say it ain't so!!!!!!! :(

Scar
05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Any reports yet?

GothMickey
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
There is a replacement band. They are called The English Channel. Not sure if they have officially stated yet or not. I just know of the name.

McLiberal8
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Am I the only one glad there will be a change?

Nothing against The British Invasion, but they only played the most mediocre of Beatles music, and were there for quite a while. A change of pace/tunes will be nice, I think. So much great music comes from Britain, it's a shame to have not had more variety, sooner!

Scar
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Sorry, I meant reports on the quality/song selection of the new act.

They were supposed to start yesterday. Hopefully someone is there and can report live. (I know I would have to wait to get home to report. ;))

DizneyFreak2002
05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I meant reports on the quality/song selection of the new act.

They were supposed to start yesterday. Hopefully someone is there and can report live. (I know I would have to wait to get home to report. ;))

Found video on another site.. They sound good... Video available on YouTube....

Ramblingman
05-05-2011, 10:27 AM
The new group that was supposed to begin this past Monday, is slated to play a wider variety of British music, covering the Who to Zep and lots of stuff inbetween.

I'll make sure to give them a listen when we are there in two weeks.

vicster
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I'll make sure to give them a listen when we are there in two weeks.

Rub it in - I have to wait until September!!! Have a great trip!!!

PirateLover
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Just watched the video of the new band. I don't know. They aren't awful, but they aren't amazing. Even though I liked and knew all the songs they played, I think the British Invasion had a wider appeal. These guys are one step above your run of the mill garage/cover band. Some songs were decent but others not so much. Live and Let Die was awful. Guess I'll be starting in Mexico when I drink around the world, so that I won't care too much about their sound by the time I get there ;) :beer:

Scar
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Yea, saw the video (thanks Bob,) and it was good but... who wears long hair and jeans in Florida in the summer? ;) Anyway, I'll hold any real commentary until I see them live.

DizneyFreak2002
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Yea, saw the video (thanks Bob,) and it was good but... who wears long hair and jeans in Florida in the summer? ;) Anyway, I'll hold any real commentary until I see them live.

You're welcome....

Tink#64
05-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Gosh, I'm so disappointed! We really just discoverd The British Invasion last year! We had to make a 2nd trip to the WS just to watch them! DS's really enjoyed! We were so looking forward to seeing/hearing them next month! I guess we'll check out the new group & see what we think. Change is inevitable. :unsure:

Crow
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
I liked them the couple times i saw them. didnt see them last trip & sorry I didnt

big blue and hairy
05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I saw a little bit of The English Channel. They are better in person than they are on the you tube video. That probably has something to do with the video being their first performance. I actually like them better than the BI.

:sulley:

AgentC
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
We just got back yesterday. My husband and I saw the new show on Saturday. From some reason whenever my son plays Kim Possible we end up in the UK during the show. :mickey:

We both enjoyed it. I am not a huge Beatles fan, so I really liked having the variety of songs in the new show.

DH does like the Beatles and he thought the new show was just as good as the old show.

big blue and hairy
06-05-2011, 11:18 PM
DH does like the Beatles and he thought the new show was just as good as the old show.

I like the Beatles too, and they are simply the most influential band in the history of rock and roll. That said, they're not the only band in rock and roll. I'm glad for the variety. DW and I saw them again this weekend, they are an improvement in our opinions.

:sulley:

Ramblingman
06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
We saw them when we were there on the 24th of last month.

The band is okay and I really don't have a preference between them and the old band. I don't spend much time with them on our trips.

The songs are pretty good. They are decent musicians who seem to put a lot into the performance.

The one thing I found funny or strange is that only one of the band seemed to actually be British. The others are American, so it was a bit lacking for me in that regard.

But, hey, you only need to pop into the Rose & Crown for a pint to take care of that.