PDA

View Full Version : We want your input!

Melanie
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
That's right INTERCOTees, we want you, the listener, more involved in the INTERCOT Insider Podcast! :thumbsup:

Please take the time to give us your suggestions, topics, ideas, whatever it is you want us to ponder and discuss. It could even be a hot topic here on the discussion boards. You can post here in this thread, or on our Twitter (@INTERCOT) or Facebook (facebook.com/INTERCOT).

We've had a great time so far using your suggestions and we want to expand on that. We're taping episode 14 tonight, so don't delay.

Thanks! :rocks:

caryrae
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I would like to hear about activities that are not in the Parks but in the Disney area that are fun like fishing, para sailing, wagon rides, etc. Not even sure how much people know including myself how much there is to do that is not in a Park. Maybe tell us some of your favorites.

Would also like to hear about the best places to eat and experiences. We ate at California Grill one trip and loved it. The food was great and we timed it just right to watch the firework show and we got a table right by the window facing MK, it was an awesome time.

disneymom15
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
First off, gotta say "I LOVE THE PODCASTS". I'd like to hear more about the different Disney Resorts. Say, each podcast, elaborate on one disney resort (room types, restaurants, activities, amenities, etc).

NJGIRL
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
How about some info on the "extras" at WDW.
Maybe the tours within the parks, fireworks cruise, Kim Possible, mini golf, things like that.:thumbsup:

Scott C
04-19-2011, 12:58 PM
I am a history and unbuilt attractions guy myself. Hopefully another DVC segment as I am on the fence as far as that purchase goes. Any news on the POR renovations - I am staying there in Sept. and have not heard much recently.

Other than that - just be your normal selves and the podcast will turn out fine.

Or you can address my personal pet peeve which has seen some action on the boards recently - the lack of late night dining - nothing is more frustrating than returning back to the resort and not even being able to refill your mug or grab a quick bite.

Thanks
Scott C

caryrae
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
How about a short section at the end of Podcasts about Disney updates like rides closing, refurbishments, new vacation offers, etc.

lettripp
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I'd love to hear your favorite activities to enjoy as a couple (without kids)! They can be anything from romantic to adventurous ... I'm looking forward to your suggestions since we are planning our honeymoon! :mickey:

lwith58
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Another "Extra" suggestion...Water parks. I don't believe you guys have had much discussion on them yet.

• Favorite Water Park?
• Favorite Water Park Ride/Attraction/Slide?
• Favorite Beer at a Water Park maybe? haha

By the way thank you for the Podcasts I find them very informative and entertaining, I’m always looking forward to the next one.

BrerGnat
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
The "Most Out of Place at WDW" thread has quite the following...maybe provide opinions on this topic/discuss the more prevalent opinions stated in the thread.

Melanie
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
You guys have come through as always. Great suggestions...keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Scar
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Talk more about beer. :beer:

Melanie
04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Talk more about beer. :beer:

:cheers:

Beer, Horizons and Duffy. Pretty much a given. ;)

caryrae
04-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Have a contest on who's computer connection gets lost the most during the taping.

Melanie
04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Have a contest on who's computer connection gets lost the most during the taping.

I'd win!!! :D

Seriously though, hope that issue is all fixed now.

BrerGnat
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
OR, talk about your favorite NON BEER drink...
:marg:

AXOAlum
04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
How about a short section at the end of Podcasts about Disney updates like rides closing, refurbishments, new vacation offers, etc.

YES! That would be great!

The "Most Out of Place at WDW" thread has quite the following...maybe provide opinions on this topic/discuss the more prevalent opinions stated in the thread.

I love that thread (just posted again, actually!) and I think it would be great to hear everyone discuss that topic as well.

Melanie - YOU are my favorite on the podcast - much love to Ian, but it wouldn't be the show without you! lol :mickey:

Dragongirlx
04-20-2011, 10:46 AM
How about tips for overseas guests?

John
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Can you get a little more specific on what you might want covered from that perspective?

Ian
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
on the podcast - much love to Ian, but it wouldn't be the show without you! lol :mickey:I'd have to agree ... Mel's my favorite, too. :D

Melanie
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd have to agree ... Mel's my favorite, too. :D

Hush your mouth! :fresh:

WIMickeymommy
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
LOVE the podcasts. I love hearingabout DVC and the DTD hotels and resorts (i.e. Bonnet Creek).

Being a family of 6 with young kids (including 1yr old twins), I would love to learn about more options in regards to hotel, dining, activities, etc. for the bigger family both on and off property.

Keep up the great job.

Melanie
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Melanie - YOU are my favorite on the podcast - much love to Ian, but it wouldn't be the show without you! lol :mickey:

Aww, thank you! That's very kind. :)

And Ian, you would be my favorite too, but your taste in sports teams negates that. :razz: Of course, that means John is out too. :D

Dragongirlx
04-21-2011, 03:57 AM
What I mean is tips for guests who are coming from abroad and it's maybe the only time they are going to go.
Things like what the best airport to fly into is
getting through customs
driving in Florida - cause you'll be driving on the wrong side(:thedolls:) and there are different rules about turning on red lights.
booking reservations for restaurants - thank god you can do this online now because those international phone calls are expensive.
English to American translations
e.g.
Pavement = sidewalk
rubbish bin = trash can
That sort of thing

Ian
04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Hush your mouth! :fresh:Just keepin' it real, Mel!

And see I'm willing to overlook your poor choice of sports rooting interests and focus only on your podcasting talents. ;)

Being a family of 6 with young kids (including 1yr old twins), I would love to learn about more options in regards to hotel, dining, activities, etc. for the bigger family both on and off property.Uh ... are you my wife lol??

I'm a Father of four, as well, and we also have infant twins (9 months) so I would probably be in a decent position to cover that. Good suggestion!

What I mean is tips for guests who are coming from abroad and it's maybe the only time they are going to go.The only issue with that that I see is ... well ... we're all Americans. :(

It would be tough for us to speak to those things. Maybe we could have one of our mods from "across the pond" join us, though, and do a segment like that. I think that's a great idea.

Disney_pups2
04-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I have been researching why they don't offer the "Military Salute" to all retired military and they have forgotten and left out MANY that have served. I have seen even on the Disney official blog where many patrons have asked why Disney is discriminating and the operator of that blog will not answer the question. I would like to see information brought out like "who decides who gets the discount to begin with?" Do they leave out other retired Military because they know most can't or won't use the discount? There is a lot that can be discussed about this topic as it is a hot topic on many boards. It might even give someone at Disney Headquarters a heads up on other patrons feel.

Melanie
04-22-2011, 06:40 AM
I have been researching why they don't offer the "Military Salute" to all retired military and they have forgotten and left out MANY that have served.

Sarah, just so we're clear on what you are talking about, who exactly is left out?

BrerGnat
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Sarah, the thing is, when offering a discount to a specific demographic, there has to be a universal way for Disney to identify the population. For the military discount, it seems that since these tickets are sold on bases, those who can take advantage of them must also have Military IDs with on base privileges. This excludes MANY former military and veterans. This way, Disney can also check the ID when activating the tickets. Disney doesn't sell these tickets directly.

"Retired" in the military means career retired, after 20 years of service. "Former" military is not the same as "Retired".

I have also read some of the (IMO) misdirected comments about this on FB, the Disney Parks Blog, etc. Disney's aim in this promotion, from my understanding, is to honor those currently serving and the families of those in support of the current miltary operations. Since the government extends benefits to retired military, disabled Vets, and the like, Disney has simply included those as well in the "eligible" category. Otherwise, it might get out of hand, and away from the original aim of the promotion (which started after 9/11).

I'm not really sure the Podcast team has the authority or knowledge to discuss this sort of thing. It's really up to Disney who they want to include in any sort of promotions or discounts.

It's sort of the same thing as the PIN issue. How come I've never gotten one? Why do some people get them over and over again? Why are there discounts only for Canadian residents? Or, those visiting from overseas? It's really not something that anyone other than Disney knows. Speculating can only get us so far...

Disney_pups2
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I totally respect your opinion, here's my thoughts on the subject :-). I have brought up an idea that MANY on the web are very upset about because MANY feel it is unfair for the following reasons: These folks have had to send their significant other off tour after tour, wait for mysterious return dates to pop up and be told 24 hours before hand when they will return, had little to NO contact with them for months, missed anniversaries, holidays, deaths, Birthdays, first steps etc, I believe that these folks deserve celebrating and appreciation also. While I understand that the military views 20 years or more as true retirement or a 100% disabling injury as retirement, these folks that served 6-19 years, sailed many tours and missed a bunch (more than most reservists which are included) still do get at least partial benefits and are recognized by the U.S. in some way, shape or form. They receive housing help, schooling help.. etc. The tickets can be purchased on base yes, but also at the window at the parks, and also at Shades of green, which even recognizes these families on some level. I understand that this is a very delicate topic, and one that many will feel very close to or have no understanding of at all, but I also understand that civil rights, human rights, worker's rights, etc have been gotten not by silence but by intelligent discussion and persistence of some to pave the way to equality. While many have not served 20 years, some were "retired" by the military for a wound, or they could not continue because of mental anguish caused by these circumstances and they do not receive VET status nor true Retired status. I believed that the "celebration" was to be an opportunity for Disney and everyone wishing to show patronage to those that have served or are serving presently, to those that have sacrificed much for this country, for those that have seen unforgetable sights to do so.If I am not mistaken, Some of the discounts are offered to merely "Base workers" which really didn't serve nor miss anything life altering in their time working for the base. They are civilians that have clearances but are not "military" personel at all.
I just believe that this is an important issue that should be discussed and an issue that can leave a bad taste in many mouths.
As for why podcast? It could be an interesting discussion because there are many sides to be heard. I would like to hear from those that may have more ideas or better working knowledge of Disney's "insides": who can recommend to those that are concerned to whom can they talk to to be heard? How do these corporate members like to be approached? What is Disney's standing on this issue? Is Disney even really aware that there could be an issue? Really who is included and what's the difference (for those that are not military or may be confused as the ad is written kind of gray in ways)? How could Disney benefit from including all honorably discharged military? Would it hurt Disney to do so? What really is Disney's point of the Salute according to Disney?
Anyways, it was just an idea and if it isn't acceptable then no problem and thank you for your thoughts, I respect what you have said but really it is not anything like "the pin" issue. It is more personal than a random button being pushed. These men and women sacrificed just as much as most if not all that are currently Military, retired or will be in the future :-) Have a mousy day!!

Disney_pups2
04-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Ps.. "the universal way to identify the public"... all military personel discharged honorably have DD214s to show they were not rogue and that they did in deed serve.

MN_Rose
04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I like the idea of taking on one resort a podcast and expanding on it. For example, Caribean Beach, what is good, what is bad? I typically stay at a moderate resort but tend to stick with just a couple. Maybe I'm missing something I'd really like at one of the others. In conjunction with this, maybe one of your "best of" segments could be your favorite resort in each of the categories. BTW - LOVE the podcasts, they are one of the highlights of the month, partly just because thinking of a Disney vacation makes me happy. Thank you ALL for taking time out of your busy lives to record them. We love you for it!

Melanie
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I like the idea of taking on one resort a podcast and expanding on it. For example, Caribean Beach, what is good, what is bad?

I really like this idea as well, and hope we can go with it soon.

MN_Rose
04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I do know how to spell Caribbean Beach...REALLY. Thanks Melanie.

Melanie
04-25-2011, 02:30 PM
I do know how to spell Caribbean Beach...REALLY. Thanks Melanie.

LOL! That's one I really have to think about every time as well. Is it two r's or two b's? ;)

Disney_pups2
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Melanie,
I have a growing family and could really use a podcast soon on families over 6 on a budget. I mean like 2 rooms at an all star cheapest? What ages count as a number in the group when booking? Where do you guys suggest to try since the villas can be very expensive? That would be awesome!!
Oh and here is another one, discussion about what folks with handicap travelers can expect or do to keep rooms linked when traveling in groups. Info on Gacs and baby swapping etc. Traveling with "hidden" handicaps that make waiting for small fries in line difficult and helping families have ideas on what Disney can do to help... Thanks!!!

caryrae
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Melanie,
I have a growing family and could really use a podcast soon on families over 6 on a budget. I mean like 2 rooms at an all star cheapest? What ages count as a number in the group when booking? Where do you guys suggest to try since the villas can be very expensive? That would be awesome!!

Along those lines too, with the rise in prices for gas, airfare, food, etc the best way to Disney on a budget for any size family.

ryca1dreams
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a podcast suggestion for The Intercots - I'm interested in the extinct attractions that have a part or a whole still around. Examples I know of are River Country, Discovery Island, the Poly's wavemaker, the old airport - things like that. There may be pieces of attractions elsewhere that I don't know about. I know it's kind of weird, but it fascinates me. I'm not sure where the discussion would go - maybe one of you has inside information on this type of stuff.

DisneyGirl85
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Ian you are my favorite!! I agree with pretty much everything you say and you are hilarious! :thumbsup:

John
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Sigh - no love for the MCP.

DisneyGirl85
05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Sigh - no love for the MCP.

I love you too John!! But you're a given! Myself (25) & my brother (27) listen to your podcasts every morning and evening on our commute to work rotating all of them until a new one comes out. I even friended you on facebook (too creepy...lol)

John
05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I love you too John!! But you're a given! Myself (25) & my brother (27) listen to your podcasts every morning and evening on our commute to work rotating all of them until a new one comes out.

You'll have to re-friend me... I deleted a few recently that I didn't know who they were ;)

Sorry! Was that your brother as well - both were from Towson.

JSparrow
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
You'll have to re-friend me... I deleted a few recently that I didn't know who they were ;)

Sorry! Was that your brother as well - both were from Towson.

Friend request denied? Ouch. Just kidding. When's the next podcast coming out? I'm going through withdrawal

Melanie
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
When's the next podcast coming out? I'm going through withdrawal

We recorded last night and John is under much pressure to get it out before the weekend. Ehem....MCP, get workin'. It's not like you've got anything going on in your life. ;)

JSparrow
05-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Maybe you could put a segment together where if you were asked to remove any attraction/ride from any park, what would it be and what would you replace it with?

Just a fun hypothetical topic to play with.

DisneyGirl85
05-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I know you already talked about it awhile ago, but maybe you could bring up any new, good phone apps for Disney.

Also, your favorite and/or the best hidden Mickeys at Disney World or resorts.:mickey:

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Not sure if you have talked about it before and I just missed it but perhaps you could discuss your favorite " commonly overlooked" attractions/shows. Examples, Flag retreat or the Barber shop or the hedgemaze in England.
Why is it your favorite and why do you think most people overlook it.

2Epcot
05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm still an episode behind, but I also like the idea of focusing a segment of certain shows on one resort, and going over details that people may not know. I think it would be a good way to help people learn more about resorts they've never stayed at. I believe I've stayed at 8 or 9 different resorts, so there are still quite a few I'm not familiar with myself.

I just got back from spending 3 weeks in China, mostly out in the countryside away from everything. Luckily I had a computer and the internet, so I could still enjoy the Intercot podcasts, and feel like I was at WDW. They are always entertaining, as well as informative.

Ian
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Also, your favorite and/or the best hidden Mickeys at Disney World or resorts.:mickey:Good one ... this will get added to our list! :thumbsup:

Melanie
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Maybe you could put a segment together where if you were asked to remove any attraction/ride from any park, what would it be and what would you replace it with?

I like that one, and I think I already know what Ian's would be. :D

princessgirls
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I like the banter between you all.

Melanie is so sweet, and she offers so much info, as she is able to bop on over to the parks any 'ole time (so jealous...in a good way).:mickey:

Ian offers a lot of good information, and now he has a large family, so there is good perspective there. Travel in it self can be quite challenging, yet navigating theme parks.

John rocks! This is his dream coming to life!

What's not to love about Gary...
Disney keeps evolving,so there is always plenty to discuss. I would stay away from politics, and hot issues, and go for the core Disney stuff. Horizons, Duffy, and Beer...it's ALL good!:beer:
I've been hearing raves about this caramel place in Germany. My co-worker came back raving about it yesterday. Maybe you could do one entire segment on foods and snacks around the world. People really think it's just chicken nuggets and burgers...Seriously!
Keep it up guys!
Julie:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I've been hearing raves about this caramel place in Germany. My co-worker came back raving about it yesterday. Maybe you could do one entire segment on foods and snacks around the world. People really think it's just chicken nuggets and burgers...Seriously!Julie:mickey:

I, personally, vote for an entire segment on the treats available (in extensive detail) at Karamel Kuche. But...I'm a bit psycho when it comes to caramel. :crazy:

Seriously, though, the topic of "unique snacks" would be a good one. I am not a person who likes to eat big meals, and I'm always looking for small plates or snacks to munch on in the parks. Unique stuff, besides popcorn, mickey bars, and pretzels.

Just the other day, I read online about these new teriyaki chicken nuggets at the Friar's Nook in Fantasyland. They come a few to an order, along with some wasabi/horseradish peas (or maybe edamame?). This is the type of thing I'm after!

Melanie...go try these! Stat! ;)

Melanie
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Just the other day, I read online about these new teriyaki chicken nuggets at the Friar's Nook in Fantasyland. They come a few to an order, along with some wasabi/horseradish peas (or maybe edamame?). This is the type of thing I'm after!

Melanie...go try these! Stat! ;)

Mmmm! Those sound goooood. Maybe I will on Sunday, if we make it over to MK. ;)

I like the snack topic. That could be fun.

Melanie
05-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Horizons, Duffy, and Beer...it's ALL good!:beer:

You'll get a chuckle out of this on the newest episode. :D

Ian
05-13-2011, 06:11 AM
I like that one, and I think I already know what Ian's would be. :DI know what both of our's wouldn't be. Need a hint?

:car:

Not sure where I'd go with that ... there are really quite a few good candidates! :thedolls:

DisneyGirl85
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
We recorded last night and John is under much pressure to get it out before the weekend. Ehem....MCP, get workin'. It's not like you've got anything going on in your life. ;)

Hey John-Do you think the next podcast will be out in time for me to listen to on my way to work Monday morning?? :D

Melanie
05-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey John-Do you think the next podcast will be out in time for me to listen to on my way to work Monday morning?? :D

As per John's tweet this morning, he's working on editing today. Should definitely be up by then.

www.twitter.com/INTERCOT

caryrae
05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I think you guys should do a live show from the America Gardens Theatre at Epcot and all us Intercot members can come watch.

Tinky-Bell
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I have to say that I just LOVE the podcast. I didn't really want to add yet another Disney podcast to my listening queue, but how could I not?!

The only suggestion/gripe I have is that the host (John, right?) needs more volume. I keep turning the volume up and down while I'm listening, because his volume is always so low.

I just finished listening to "The Big Reveal". Yes, I run way behind on my podcasts. Sorry about that. Totally love the idea of meeting y'all in October 2012. I plan to be there! I'm sure you'll announce the actual dates before this November, right? So I can make my DVC reservations. :)

Keep up the good work, and tell John to speak up! :)

Nora

DisneyGirl85
05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
The only suggestion/gripe I have is that the host (John, right?) needs more volume. I keep turning the volume up and down while I'm listening, because his volume is always so low.

I wanted to say something about the volume awhile ago but didn't know how to word it without it coming out sounding rude. I think John, Ian and Gary all have the same volume but Melanie & Carol have a louder volume so I am always playing with the volume.

Melanie
05-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I wanted to say something about the volume awhile ago but didn't know how to word it without it coming out sounding rude. I think John, Ian and Gary all have the same volume but Melanie & Carol have a louder volume so I am always playing with the volume.

It's possible I'm just loud. :D

Not2Loud
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I think having a segment about tickets would be interesting. Not a segment debating value and such, but a segment where each of you discuss the type tickets you purchase and the reasoning behind them. Understanding why it works for you may help others see a path to savings or overall value they did not before.

For instance, I have found that a Premium Annual Pass works well for me. We typically go 2-3 times per year with at least one trip consisting of over 7 nights.

When I calculated what the cost of my ticket for 7 days would be along with the Passholder savings on lodging for 7 nights at a FW Cabin, and the 20% savings on purchases in most of the stores, the ability to go to the waterparks at anytime as well as DisneyQuest and the miniature golfing, it made sense for me.

In addition to the above, I travel through Orlando 4-6 times per year on business. Instead of paying the Hilton Garden Inn or Crowne Plaza $100 per night, I typically will stay on property at a value or moderate resort that is priced nearly the same with my AP rates. During the "off-seasons" I am able to get fabulous rates at the Value Resorts. Add in the rate is reasonably the same, I get the fun of being on Disney property and can hop into the parks for a bit if I have time which I can usually make. At worst, I ride around on the WDW transportation and take it all in with a stroll around DTD.

Does this mean it would work for everyone? Probably not. However, there may be people that travel to Orlando on business that had never considered this when making their ticket purchases.