PDA

View Full Version : Perpetually confused about getting around Fort Wilderness...Help!

mouseketeer mom
04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
I need help getting to our Segway tour. It leaves from the Bike Barn. We are travelling from Poly. I am looking for the quickest way to get to this Bike Barn, its ok if it involves a taxi, since our tour is early and I don't want alot of transportation hoopla in the morning. Where would we take the taxi to? The front entrance of Ft. Wilderness? And then how do I get to the tour? Please be specific. I cannot for the life of me navigate this place and all the Settlement this and that.

cuteduck223
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
your best bet, if you want to taxi, is to taxi to fort wilderness entrance --this is called the Outpost. From there, take the ORANGE internal bus and ride it to Meadows trading post. The bike barn is there, and The bus driver will help you.

The other option from Poly, if you have the time, is to take the resort monorail to the contemporary, and then take a boat from the contemporary to Ft. Wilderness. The boat brings you right up to the settlement, and if you just follow the path, you'll get to the bus depot--again, take ORANGE, and tell the driver you want to go to Meadows trading post. This would be what I would choose--mainly because I love the monorail/boat system. It's not as quick, but boats run as regularly as busses and its a nice little ride.

Hope this helps!

AuntLaura
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Agree with prior post. Either way you'll have to take a bus within FW. I don't believe the taxi will be able to drive into the Fort. Depends on how early your tour is. The small boats from the Contemporary dock start running around 645AM, I believe. There are usually two going in a circle. One boat goes to FW via WL and the other to FW directly. Once there, follow the path to the right, past Crockett's Tavern and Pioneer Hall. At the end of the walkway, you'll find the Settlement Bus Depot. There's a map of FW there. The bus drivers will help you. The bike barn is behind the Meadow's Trading Post, across the creek. You can see it from the road. You can walk there also, about 1/3 mile (?), but if you've never been there, might want to take the bus the first time. If you hit the monorail, boats and buses just right, it might take you 30 minutes. I'd give myself 45" to 60" to do it, so you're not late. If early, get a cup of coffee at the Meadows and sit in a rocking chair out back.

buzznwoodysmom
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Lisa, take the taxi. We just stayed at WL in March, as you know, and the monorail/boat route will take a lot of time. I love both the boats and monorail, but it always took a ton of time when we traveled on them. I'm not all that familier with Ft. Wilderness, but when we did the haunted carraige ride in October we parked in the parking lot right when you enter Ft. Wilderness. This is where I'm sure the taxi would drop you off. There is a bus stop directly across from the parking lot. We took the internal bus to the same area you'll be headed to. It was a fairly long bus ride, with plenty of stops so that will add to your travel time. We had to ask for directions. There were signs posted at the bus stop, but for some reason it was all very confusing to me. We asked other guests, as well as confirmed where the bus was going with the bus driver before boarding the bus. In the end it really was very easy, you guys should be fine. Have fun!