PDA

View Full Version : Handi Cap Question

Silver_Surfer
04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I'll be traveling with a handicap person who has one bad leg and has a hard time standing for a long period of time. I was just informed that their family of three can proceed to the front of ride lines? Anyone heard of this? I always thought this would be a fast pass issue.

Thanks!

mgmnut
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes. Some years ago we traveled to WDW with a group of family members, one being my Stepfather who was in a wheel chair due to issues walking or standing for long periods. He was only able to walk very short distances due to a battle with health issues, a battle that he unfortunately lost this past July. We were able to get Front of the line access for him.

The CM's were great about it and were very accomodating, which was greatly appreciated.

CleveRocks
04-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Someone with a disability will not automatically be granted front-of-the-line access at every ride and attraction.

Someone who can't stand for too long would also have difficulty walking for too long, so that person would probably need to use a wheelchair or scooter (ECV). It used to be that queues couldn't handle wheelchairs and ECVs (they wouldn't fit). Some queues have been redone over the years to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs, which then eliminates the need for front of the line access ... if you can wait in line like everyone elsae then there's no need to give you front of the line access, right?

So it depends, it's different from ride to ride.

Strmchsr
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
:ditto: An ECV rented from an off-site place (like Apple Scooter) would probably be the best bet. A person with a disability can ask at Guest Relations for a GAC (Guest Assistant Card. Those vary depending on the persons' need. However, in the situation you described they'll probably tell you a wheelchair or ECV would be your best bet (and I agree). My DS10 had a bad knee-injury last January and couldn't walk more than a couple of minutes at a time without extreme pain. He certainly couldn't stand up in a long line. So, we rented him an ECV. We never went "front of the line" (and didn't expect to or want to), but he was able to get around just fine and enjoy himself. WDW is very accommodating to folks with disabilities. It's an unfortunate thing, but with the amount of selfishness you see from folks at WDW if they let everyone who claimed to not be able to stand in a long line go right to the front it would be mass chaos. It's sad that people would abuse that, but they would, so WDW accommodates in other ways.

WDWdriver
04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Definitely stop at Guest Relations at the first park you visit, and ask about a Guest Assistance Card. The GAC is postcard size and will be stamped with an icon that tells the CMs how to treat you. Often you will wait in the regular line with your wheelchair or ECV. Or you may be allowed to use the FastPass queue. In a few cases you will be directed to an alternate entrance for immediate seating on the ride.

Just show your GAC to the CMs at the entrance to each attraction, and they will direct you. Without the GAC they are under no obligation to give you any special access.