PDA

View Full Version : ?? re: FL SunPass

Dsnygirl
04-17-2011, 12:26 AM
So, I saw on another thread that there is such a thing as a Florida SunPass, that can be used for tolls along the Florida interstates.

Being from NY, I am familiar w/ the system... we have an EZ Pass that works the same way.

We'll be driving down in August, and I believe my EZ Pass will get me through Virginia... then I'm on my own through NC/SC 'til I hit Florida, unless someone has another idea??

My question about the SunPass is whether or not it's worth it, to get from the border of FL to WDW. I have no idea how many tolls there are along the route -- if there's only one, and it's a reasonably quick toll, I don't think I'd need it... if there are a bunch, and they're slow-going, then maybe it'd be worth it.

I saw that there is such a thing as a SunPass "mini" that is only $4.99, which gets credited back to you as you go through your first toll. So, not alot OOP for what could be a timesaver.

Any thoughts?

:thanks:

Fishman
04-17-2011, 08:11 AM
If staying on I-95 and then I-4, there are no tolls. There is toll road (417 I believe) that is a toll road, but it takes you about 18 miles longer and goes around I-4 on the South side of Orlando. If you are arriving during rush hour, it may be a good choice and will only cost a few dollars.

I also bought the Sun pass mini, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I only live about 3 hours from WDW, but always looking for a shorter or less aggrivating route. A co-worker has used the 417 route several times lately and swears by it. He says the traffic is very light and the speeds/traffic is much faster than I-4.

The last time we went to WDW, I actually hit the traffic slow down about half a mile from the 417 exit, so stay in the right hand lane when you get that close or you may not be able to get over to make the first exit and the next one isn't for a few more miles up the road.

Ed
04-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Depending on the exact route you use, you may need to traverse a half-dozen toll booths if you use a cash system. Over the past few years, a lot of the toll areas have been converted to allow E-Pass/SunPass users to zoom right through at highway speed, while cash customers are diverted to a traditional toll lane to the right, where they will have plenty of time in stop-and-go traffic to dig in their pockets/purses for toll money. The highway-speed lanes have greatly reduced the number of rear-end accidents and improved travel time by reducing the bottlenecks.

Also, some exit ramps have unattended, exact-change-only toll booths. If you don't have the right change, it's an instant violation.

SunPass does have a minipass that is basically a sticker that you apply to your windshield, and yes - you do get a credit that offsets the $4.99 cost. The drawback is that it cannot be moved from one vehicle to another like the larger portable unit can. Removing it from the windshield destroys the sticker.

And SunPass also gives users an automatic discount of 25 cents per toll booth, although there is some discussion about removing that discount. :mad:

Tons of "snowbirds" have accounts with SunPass or E-Pass; they're not just for Florida residents.

Daisy'sMom
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Not enough tolls if you stay on 95 and 4. Don't bother.:mickey:

Ed
04-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Not enough tolls if you stay on 95 and 4. Don't bother.:mickey:

However... if you choose to use 417 or 528 to avoid having to go through downtown Orlando on I-4, where one simple fender-bender or a little road construction (which is never-ending on I-4) can tie things up for miles, or to use Osceola Parkway or 429... do bother. ;)

wdwfan
04-17-2011, 03:20 PM
You can check info on sunpass website. If you take turnpike you can stop at the first service center on the pike (before any tolls) and purchase a sunpass mini. It's 4.99 and when you activate it they give you the 4.99 back. You can get one with money on it and it can be used immediately. Thats what we did. It's a sticker that goes on windshield and cannot be transferred to another vehicle like the transponder. You can also order one online and it will be mailed to your home and you can do the activation before you leave. The $ amt. never expires and you can transfer $ to a transponder if you decide in the future you want one of those. (25.00) The mini works great and much easier to just drive right thru. You can call the sunpass number and give them the info, as to vehicle, etc, if you pick up while driving. You can even set up to have money put on it when it falls below 10.00.

BowTie7
04-17-2011, 06:15 PM
As others have noted, you can get by without the pass to go to DisneyWorld. If your trip also includes going south to the Miami area, the sun pass is great (and almost necessary, as some of the toll road in south Florida only seemed to take the pass). It can also save time if you go over to Kennedy Space Center. I would check carefully when you buy the pass, the one I got didn't have any money on it--you had to log on to their website, register the pass, load dollars on it (I think in multiples of $10), and then wait a certain amount of time for it to activate. I would check the website before you go. It has rate schedules for different roads. On a side note, though it said it worked on all toad roads in Florida, it does not cover the toll bridge that leads to the Miami Seaquarium (which I learned after getting in the wrong lane and holding up traffic.)

PETE FROM NYC
04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I drove down twice from NYC, and my EZ pass got me through every place. We go 95 to 4, and have not experienced any traffic problems except on our last return during a major rain fall.

Ed
04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I drove down twice from NYC, and my EZ pass got me through every place. We go 95 to 4, and have not experienced any traffic problems except on our last return during a major rain fall.

If you only used 95 and 4, you weren't on any of the Florida toll roads. Your EZ Pass will work in the Northeast states (I think the last of the tolls southbound are in Maryland), but it will NOT work for Florida's toll roads. It will only work in the states shown on this map (https://www.ezpassnj.com/static/info/facilities.shtml).