PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining Plan Question

bertasso59
04-15-2011, 04:44 PM
So 'Im planning our next trip and the Dining Plan has become a must have.In my lastest mailing I see that when dining plan is offered free and you stay at a Deluxe resort it includes one sit down restaurant a day but any resort under Deluxe and you must get quick service meals only.Does anyone know if you can 'upgrade' the free plan to include sit down and pay the difference?
Otherwise I have to crunch the numbers to see if its worth it to stay at a deluxe resort,I cant eat fast food-even Disney fast food)for 2 weeks

WishingStar2006
04-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes, you can upgrade to the regular or the deluxe dining plan and just pay the difference. Have a great time!

Strmchsr
04-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes, you can upgrade it. I can tell you now the "free" DDP is most definitely not worth it at a deluxe, and really not at a moderate, because you have to pay rack rate on the room.

DisneyTopper
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
As the others said, yes you can do this. We are doing this for our trip in June. We are staying at AS Sports and I believe its an extra $11 per person/per day to upgrade to the next level dining plan.

We felt it was worth it. We are going with three teen boys and they eat a lot, plus the kids would be heartbroken not to go to some of our favorite sit-downs during our stay.

I crunched the numbers every which way and the best deal was to just pay for the upgrade and pay for two rooms at a value resort.

Marionla
04-16-2011, 11:12 AM
We always go to WDW when free dining is offered. We stay at a moderate resort. Is it more economical to do the free dining plan or the room rate discount when offered? Thanks

Strmchsr
04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
We always go to WDW when free dining is offered. We stay at a moderate resort. Is it more economical to do the free dining plan or the room rate discount when offered? Thanks

You would have to look at your individual needs (how many adults, especially, in your party), but, in general the "free" dining is a decent deal at the values, not a good deal at the moderate, and you lose money at the deluxe level. This is because of paying rack rates. I've found that the room discount is usually better for the moderates and always better for the deluxe. Check with Magical Journeys, though, as they can crunch all the numbers and let you know for sure which would be best for you.

Marionla
04-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for your help. I like your name. Maybe because I watch storm chaser shows on the Weather Channel, and I like twister type movies.we are trying to go to WDW in Dec.

ransam
04-16-2011, 12:04 PM
there's no way i can afford disney w/o the dining plan, regardless if it's free or not. when you take into account that a regular dinner can cost from 25-30 dollars or more, and table service is 15-20 or so...
I also like the fact that i know that my meals are paid for before i even leave.

Strmchsr
04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your help. I like your name. Maybe because I watch storm chaser shows on the Weather Channel, and I like twister type movies.we are trying to go to WDW in Dec.

Thanks. The user name comes from all of the storm chasing I've done. I'm a pastor now, but my undergrad degree is in meteorology and I still do a good bit of work with the NWS and disaster response organizations (not to mention giving WDW forecasts here on Intercot).

Strmchsr
04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
there's no way i can afford disney w/o the dining plan, regardless if it's free or not. when you take into account that a regular dinner can cost from 25-30 dollars or more, and table service is 15-20 or so...
I also like the fact that i know that my meals are paid for before i even leave.

Right, but the DDP is $46/person. So even if you spend $25-30 on a TS and $10-15 on a CS (I've never seen a CS meal cost $20 for 1 person) then add your snack you pretty much break even. And you can eat both TS and CS cheaper than those prices if you eat at the right places. So, you're not really saving any money. BUT, having it paid and not having to worry about what you spend on meals while in WDW is really a nice thing sometimes.

DisneyMom12
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I am staying at ASMO, and upgraded to the delux plan. It was well worth it for us.

elmjimmlm
04-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Last June we received a free QS dining pin and then we upgraded to the regular dining...It was a cost of around 300.00 more and there are 5 of us...4 adults and 1 child...That is a lot better than paying 1200.00 for dining out of pocket...This year we received a pin for the same thing but are going to do the QS and not upgrade...Hope its not a mistake!!!:mickey:

ransam
04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Right, but the DDP is $46/person. So even if you spend $25-30 on a TS and $10-15 on a CS (I've never seen a CS meal cost $20 for 1 person) then add your snack you pretty much break even. And you can eat both TS and CS cheaper than those prices if you eat at the right places. So, you're not really saving any money. BUT, having it paid and not having to worry about what you spend on meals while in WDW is really a nice thing sometimes.

i see your point, however, i will disagree on your pricing. without even thinking i know you can go to downtown disney and eat at wolfgang puck express, and easily have a quick service dinner that will cost over 20 dollars once you add in your entree, desert, and drink. now i know that is an extreme case, and most of them do average bout 13-15 dollars. but finding one over 20 dollars is not that difficult.

but very rarely will you be able to get out of a table service dinner for under 30-35 dollars...once you add in the entree, dessert, and drink, then add in a tip.

of course you can go to any resturant and get the cheapest things on the menu and make it cheaper,but i don't see the point in that. I do that at home, not while on vacation. ...when i'm on vacation, i like to eat and eat well.
the dining plan not only give me the option of having it paid for in advance, but i have the option of getting i want. i pinch money at home so i can go on vacation. i don't want to pinch money while i'm here. I want to eat steak, rich desserts, etc.....

If i want to go to Tony's and get the steak for 29 dollars, and tiramsu for 6.50, then my drink, i've just spent almost 40 dollars, and i haven't added in my tip yet.

then most snacks are what 3 dolllars or so?

everyone has how they plan their vacations, and none are wrong. I just love the dining plan for the fact i can have it paid for in advance, and i don't have to order something i kinda want because it's cheaper than what I REALLY want.

bertasso59
04-17-2011, 05:44 PM
One of the best things about a disney vacation for me is when you get the dining plan,get a refillable mug and of course stay at a resort there is your food,morning coffee and transportaion for your legnth of stay taken care of.I can then relax and not pull out my wallet until the last couple of days when I buy souviners

Thanks to everyone for their response about upgrading the QS plan

Dream'nDisney
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
We have done the math a few different ways, and every way we look at it, we will be saving money doing the free DDP and staying at a delux as opposed to only getting 30% off room rates (which is what Disney was offering for our dates) and paying for our food OOP. Our kids are considered adults, and we like to eat a TS every night.