PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Numbers Huge On Economic Impact

Scar
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Saw this report on Orlando channel 9 Wednesday .

Posted: 12:41 pm EDT April 13, 2011
Updated: 3:55 pm EDT April 13, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Disney released new numbers on its economic impact on Central Florida and the entire state. The results show that Disney's numbers are huge.

The release of information is something that Disney has not done in five years. The company showed the entire economic impact of Walt Disney World resort in Florida and more specifically on the counties that include and surround Disney.

Even Mickey Mouse and his friends came out to sing the praises of Disney's economic engine in Central Florida. Local leaders gathered for the presentation that got right to hard numbers.

"I think when you see the numbers it really impresses you," said Mayor Teresa Jacobs.

Disney says they account for 2.5 percent of Florida's gross domestic product and provide 160,000 jobs, just under half actually employed by Disney and the rest are outside contractors.

"You know I'm always really thrilled when results are measured and you can actually see what you anecdotally hear about, and the stories we hear in the community about people who have partnered with us and have benefited from Walt Disney World being here, said Disney President Meg Crofton.

Disney said salaries for those workers top $1.8 billion and that park visitors spend another $2 billion at non-Disney businesses in the Orlando area.

"It's a huge part of our economy and we need to support, not just Disney, but the whole tourism industry," Jacobs said.

In the last year, Disney continued to expand, breaking ground on yet another hotel, the Art of Animation Resort, along with bringing the Disney Dream cruise ship to Central Florida and began an overhaul of Downtown Disney.

On Wednesday, Disney gave a big surprise to local schools; an unexpected $290,000 donation.

"We had no idea, we just can't thank Disney enough for the support of our children in Central Florida and what they do for the economy of Central Florida," said Seminole County Superintendent Bill Vogel.

Disney also estimates the salaries for workers from outside companies that support them, which is another $4.2 billion in paychecks for Floridians.

Jacobs along with local leaders continue to work on diversifying the area economy with projects such as the Medical City at Lake Nona and working to jump start what once was a thriving construction industry.

It's something Jacobs believes Disney has and will continue to help with.

TheRustyScupper
04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
1) This is one of those "Doh" studies.
2) Everyone knows Disney has a huge impact on Florida.
3) I know of no one who dispute that fact.
4) But, the Disney-commissioned study better defines it.
5) As I have been told by a county official, WDW has started using the data.
6) Using it in lobbying for some law changes and tax breaks.

DizneyRox
04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
6) Using it in lobbying for some law changes and tax breaks.
The first thing that came to mind was what is Disney looking to do, because this screams of some PR spin to sway public opinion.

Mousemates
04-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Disney says they account for 2.5 percent of Florida's gross domestic product and provide 160,000 jobs, just under half actually employed by Disney and the rest are outside contractors.

Disney said salaries for those workers top $1.8 billion and that park visitors spend another $2 billion at non-Disney businesses in the Orlando area.

for whatever reason my "past life" as a bean counter occasionally requires me to math things out.

1.8 Billion divided by 80,000 (half of 160,000 jobs) = $22,500

$22,500 divided by 2080 hours year = $10.81 hr

Given the number of people who obviously make much more than that, I would have thought that number would have been a bit higher.

DizneyRox
04-17-2011, 07:08 PM
for whatever reason my "past life" as a bean counter occasionally requires me to math things out.

1.8 Billion divided by 80,000 (half of 160,000 jobs) = $22,500

$22,500 divided by 2080 hours year = $10.81 hr

Given the number of people who obviously make much more than that, I would have thought that number would have been a bit higher.
Most of the staff we see and interract with make much less that $10.81 an hour. I would guess they make closer to minimum wage.

Who are you thinking makes more?

Mousemates
04-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Most of the staff we see and interract with make much less that $10.81 an hour. I would guess they make closer to minimum wage.

Who are you thinking makes more?

Well I guess I thought that there would be very few people coming in at the actual minimum wage itself (7.25 an hour if I am correct). But given the fact that management level employees will be making at least modestly higher salaries than lower tier workers...and given an overall wage that is only 10.81, that would indeed mean you are right and there far more people working at Disney in the $7.25-$8.25 an hour range than I suspected. I had always heard that their payscale was low, I just never realized how low it actually might be.

VWL Mom
04-18-2011, 07:55 AM
A twist in the math may be that they do not say they provide 80,000 full time jobs which would be the 2080 hours. A lot of college kids and the like may be part time which would bring the hours down. Just a thought.

DizneyRox
04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I had always heard that their payscale was low, I just never realized how low it actually might be.
It's VERY low, trust me...

I worked for Disney some 5ish years ago. I made less then than my first after school job in a retirement home back in the late 80''s or early 90's.

Sad...

Ramblingman
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Some other things to consider:

The article says "under" half of the 160,000 are direct Disney employees. Even though it says "just under half", it could be a bit lower than 80,000.

The article also says that salaries "top" $1.8 Billion. It doesn't say by how much.

As has been pointed out, how many of the employees are not full time, putting in less than 40 hours per week?

Lastly, 2080 hours is 40 hours per week for 52 weeks. For hourly employees, 40 hours is not always attained, and 52 weeks does not take into account vacation time, sick pay, etc, which would not be counted in these numbers, I am sure.