PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay with 5

aabshagen
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I know the options are pretty small at the moment. But what is recommended for staying with 5 people. We are planning a trip for next January and bringing an extra with our family. I know money will be an issue so doing 2 rooms is pretty much out of the question. Is the only decent option Riverside and Fort Wilderness cabins?

#1donaldfan
04-14-2011, 11:51 AM
....monetarily speaking yes....riverside will be the cheaper option and most crowded.....but for us a family of 5 that's all we've ever done and do it quite well, as it's truly only a place to shower and sleep....we spend 95% of our time at parks or the pool ..... :cool:

disneymom15
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
2 value rooms or 1 family suite at All Star Music are also an option.

crltkcagle
04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes Riverside is a great option for the money. It seems to be the cheapest option. Its a really nice resort and I highly recommend it! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
04-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Two value rooms are nearly always cheaper than 1 POR room.

azcavalier
04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Two value rooms are nearly always cheaper than 1 POR room.

I have actually never found that to be true. We usually go in the value season, and the rates are:

POR - $164-$174 per night
All Star Music - $95 - $105 per night

These are both for standard rooms, in early December. Obviously, this doesn't include any kind of discounts, either, but any discount would likely be applicable to either resort.

So, that said, POR is the cheapest option for a family of 5, on-property. *However*, with the POR refurb currently going on, and the move to queen sized beds, many are wondering if the trundles will be removed, as there won't be much space left for them. Has anyone heard if this is happening?

aabshagen
04-14-2011, 02:56 PM
So, that said, POR is the cheapest option for a family of 5, on-property. *However*, with the POR refurb currently going on, and the move to queen sized beds, many are wondering if the trundles will be removed, as there won't be much space left for them. Has anyone heard if this is happening?

Yes we have seen that as well. No confirmed reports though one way or another as to what is happening there.

We have been to Disney way to many times but usually with a larger group so multiple rooms or just our family of 4 or less. So we have never really paid much attention to the options for 5. But I do agree as well. Never have I seen 2 value rooms be less than a single moderate. As we have gone with another couple in the past and debated between that option.

TammiMcMan
04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
POR - $164-$174 per night
All Star Music - $95 - $105 per night

So, that said, POR is the cheapest option for a family of 5, on-property.Something to keep in mind too for the OP, is if the 5th person is an additional adult (over the limit of 2), then you need to add on another $10 per night to the POR rate.

azcavalier
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Something to keep in mind too for the OP, is if the 5th person is an additional adult (over the limit of 2), then you need to add on another $10 per night to the POR rate.

At what age do they count as adults? On the DDP, my 11 year old counts as one, but she doesn't as far as hotel rates go.

magicofdisney
04-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Looks like I need to clarify my statement. We only travel with discounts (FL resident or AP).

However, even with the above numbers, two value rooms offer an extra bathroom, bed and TV. At least for us, those factor into the equations.

mook3y
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
At what age do they count as adults? On the DDP, my 11 year old counts as one, but she doesn't as far as hotel rates go.

18 is the age to be "adult" as far as adding a fee for more than 2 in a room.

AXOAlum
04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
We are going May 20-28 and I was quoted $10 more for TWO rooms at Pop Century versus one room at POR (that is $10 more for the total trip). For $10, it seemed a much better option to go with two rooms.

azcavalier
04-16-2011, 11:38 PM
We are going May 20-28 and I was quoted $10 more for TWO rooms at Pop Century versus one room at POR (that is $10 more for the total trip). For $10, it seemed a much better option to go with two rooms.

No argument there. Having that extra bathroom will sure be nice.

Mitzie
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
We are a family of 5 and we just were at POR a couple of weeks ago. Yes it is a little crowded, but the curtain by the bath room area helps alot. That is one issue that has made us question the Poly. That bathroom set up might be a problem for us.

We were in the AB section and DH and I looked at the wooden bed frame to see if it would accommodate a queen size mattress. There seemed to be room...

BrerGnat
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd go for two value rooms or a value family suite, if you can get a discount. That seems to be the best use of the money.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
One thing to keep in mind too, I believe that normally when discounts are available, usually you get a better discount % at a moderate than you do in a value, at least that's been the case whenever I've priced it out or have been sent pin codes. Last December we were at POR-AB and got free DDP for being at the moderate whereas the value was only get the QS plan.

The trundle bed worked well for us, our kids are small. I happen to really like POR, I like the calmness of that section and the overall "feel" of it. Not that I wouldn't go to a value level, but I've enjoyed the moderates.

Bellerella
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
For a party of 5, I would reccommend the Polynesian. :lei: Rooms at the Poly sleep up to 5, which from my experience included 2 queen beds and a pull out couch. It is a beautiful resort and located on the monorail. It is a deluxe resort.

Disney-4-Me
04-25-2011, 08:16 AM
I think the best way to figure this out it to make reservations through Magical Journeys. I used to sweat the details every year trying to figure out what would be the best option that also fit into our budget. Then I tried Magical Journeys and haven't gone back to planning the details myself since then.

It won't cost you a dime and it saves a lot of time and effort. Now all I have to do is figure out where we want to eat and make reservations for those meals.

I know this might sound like a plug for MJ and it is but I'm not part of the business at all, just a huge fan of Wendy at MJ.