PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs

Melanie
04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Is your team in? Mine is - ALL IN!

Let's go BOLTS!!! So excited. Beat those Pens!

JPL
04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
For the first time in 15 years I have no horse in the race :( I have no idea what to do with myself :confused:

Strmchsr
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry Mel. I'm a life-long Pens fan. I like the Bolts, but it's Pens all the way for me!

WDWfanatic742
04-13-2011, 06:04 PM
For the first time in 15 years I have no horse in the race :( I have no idea what to do with myself :confused:

Go with my Ducks. Least they are in it this year. I have NO idea who they are playing against, but we'll still win it all :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Go with my Ducks. Least they are in it this year. I have NO idea who they are playing against, but we'll still win it all :thumbsup:

Uh, they are playing the Predators David. Just gotta ask - how can you not know who your team is playing? And why aren't you a 'Stinkin' Panthers' fan? Man, we hate the Stinkin' Panthers!

brownie
04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Mine's in!

WDWfanatic742
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
They are literally a continent away, I NEVER get to see them play so I can't always catch up on what is going on with them. I used to be really into hockey a few years ago but it lowered as they weren't doing so good after they got rid of some of my favorite players like Giguere and others...

We had Panthers tickets for a few years where we'd go every game. I can't say that I'm a fan of them, but it was nice going every once in awhile. Hockey games are SO much better in person than TV, the one and only sport I can say that definitively.

brownie
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Hockey games are SO much better in person than TV, the one and only sport I can say that definitively.

I'll take my hockey however I can get it. Baseball, on the other hand, has to be watched in person. I don't care for watching it on tv.

Donald A
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Is your team in? Mine is - ALL IN!

Let's go BOLTS!!! So excited. Beat those Pens!

Diehard Pens fan here (even growing the playoff beard), but I think Tampa Bay will prevail. Stamkos and St. Louis are hot. I tend to think goaltending may be the difference. The Pens defense is the best in years and if Fleury can shutdown Tampa Bay that could be big. Of course there is also the Crosby factor. Will he come back? My hunch is not in this series. He is not even practicing with contact yet.

WDWfanatic742
04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I'll take my hockey however I can get it. Baseball, on the other hand, has to be watched in person. I don't care for watching it on tv.

Down here watching baseball live is a good place to sleep for three hours. There are like ten other people with you in the stadium...yet they are building a brand new stadium for a team that trades all of their good players and keeps a ten million dollar payroll year after year...which is why they have hardly any fans. Blows my mind...

Maleficent's Dad
04-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Let's Go Rangers!!!
(Hey, one good year in the past 70 is better than none!)

Ian
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Flyers are in, but I have no clue what to make of their chances. They were arguably one of the hottest teams in the NHL for the first like 3/4 of the season and then they just went in the tank.

Can they crank it up for the playoffs? No clue ... odds are against them, though. Top seeds haven't fared well in recent years when it comes to the NHL playoffs.

I think I'm leaning towards a first round upset.

Melanie
04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Stamkos and St. Louis are hot.

Correction, Vinny LeCavalier and Marty are hot. Stammer, not so much. Talk about an epic breakdown. 40 or so goals at the All-Star break, finishes with 45. Definitely in a major funk! But then again, he's Steven Stamkos and he is incredible regardless.

My hubby thinks Crosby will be back this series, but if he isn't even practicing with contact yet, then yeah, that's doubtful. Surely Pens fans will all make a big deal of the Hedman hit, even though that wasn't even the big one. It just did him in when he probably shouldn't have been out there to begin with.

So, first intermission and no score. Fluery had an awesome save!

Melanie
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Round 1 - Pens. :unsure:

jrfromfla
04-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Let's Go Rangers!!!
(Hey, one good year in the past 70 is better than none!)

A Ranger fan living in South Florida.
So close last night, anything can happen.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!

Melanie
04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
So the reports are Marty St. Louis had a double root canal on two of his front teeth after the game last night after a pretty blatant no-call. That game was ugly! No mercy.

kaylamag
04-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Pittsburgh Penguins!!!!!

BraddyB
04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
So the reports are Marty St. Louis had a double root canal on two of his front teeth after the game last night after a pretty blatant no-call. That game was ugly! No mercy.

Thats because Fleury was pretty sweet in goal last night !!!!!!! :D

There were lots of no calls last night, went both ways.

The earliest I think Sid may appear would be a game 6 situation. I dont't know why, I see the videos of him practicing and he is flying on the ice and he didnt lose a step in puck handling.

Let's Go Pens !!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
.... seeing as I live in Toronto .... :nope: ... again ...

Ian
04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
For this series and this series alone, I'm a Lightning fan. I cannot stand Crosby and the Penguins and really want to see them lose just about every game they play (unless it's against the Devils or the Rangers, of course :thedolls:).

So go Lightning! For now ....

Pagan
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
If Fleury keeps playing like he did last night, I like our chances. :)

BraddyB
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM
For this series and this series alone, I'm a Lightning fan. I cannot stand Crosby and the Penguins and really want to see them lose just about every game they play (unless it's against the Devils or the Rangers, of course :thedolls:).

So go Lightning! For now ....

Ah huh keep it up and see if I listen to anymore Podcasts !! ;)

Just for that I might wear a Crosby Jersey to the LMNOP :D Or would you prefer Orpik or Talbot !!!!:rotfl:

BraddyB
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM
If Fleury keeps playing like he did last night, I like our chances. :)

Me too !!!!!!! :D

Ian
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Just for that I might wear a Crosby Jersey to the LMNOP :D Or would you prefer Orpik or Talbot !!!!:rotfl:As long as you don't complain when I "accidentally" :ack: all over it, then feel free. ;)

Melanie
04-14-2011, 01:49 PM
There were lots of no calls last night, went both ways.

There were, but there was definitely a team with more PP chances. Just sayin'......

Rolo didn't play bad last night at all. I say the score is Fluery 1, Bolts 0.

BraddyB
04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
As long as you don't complain when I "accidentally" :ack: all over it, then feel free. ;)

Just aslong as you dont have orange fanta before and make my jersey orange ha ha ha ha. :D

You guys are going to have your hands full with Ryan Miller. You need to get him off his game early and in his head. That is one goalie Sid just tortures over and over again.

BraddyB
04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
There were, but there was definitely a team with more PP chances. Just sayin'......

Rolo didn't play bad last night at all. I say the score is Fluery 1, Bolts 0.

We could have a 60 minute power play, we still cant do anything with it !!!! You guys need to keep us on power plays (our weakness) and off penalty kills (our strength)

First goal Rolo didnt have a prayer of stopping.

Melanie
04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
First goal Rolo didnt have a prayer of stopping.

Yep, and they were deflated after battling so hard for 2+ periods that they let their guard down and second goal goes in.

The game was much closer than the final score indicated.

BraddyB
04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Yep, and they were deflated after battling so hard for 2+ periods that they let their guard down and second goal goes in.

The game was much closer than the final score indicated.

Its not going to be an easy series, Defense and Fleury is going to keep us in it.

You ready for tonights game !!!!

Ian
04-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Well Ryan Miller lived up to his hype last night. I actually thought the Flyers had the better of the play for most of the game, but Miller just didn't let one through.

Bob, on the other hand, let through that typical backbreaker that Flyers goalies are always good for. :rolleyes:

Pagan
04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Just aslong as you dont have orange fanta before and make my jersey orange ha ha ha ha. :D
Maybe Ian would like it better if you show up in a pair of those spiffy roller hockey pants the Flyers wore in '81. :razz:

BraddyB
04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe Ian would like it better if you show up in a pair of those spiffy roller hockey pants the Flyers wore in '81. :razz:

Those were pretty snazzy ;)

I was going to wear a Flyers jersey just for Ian, with the number 75 on it. :fresh:

Ian
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I was going to wear a Flyers jersey just for Ian, with the number 75 on it. :fresh:Cool ... and I'll wear my Penguins tu-tu with #87 on it.

Or maybe a Greg Louganis outfit ...

BraddyB
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Cool ... and I'll wear my Penguins tu-tu with #87 on it.

It would make for a great photo op HA HA HA HA

Pagan
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Cool ... and I'll wear my Penguins tu-tu with #87 on it.

Make sure you're carrying a Stanley Cup with that outfit.

You guys in Philly remember what it looks like, right? :thedolls:

BraddyB
04-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Oh Boy, I have a feeling I got some messages coming my way..........

Melanie - looks like your boys showed up hungry for game 2 and my boys didn't really click as a team tonight. We seemed flat, well played tonight Tampa Bay.

Ian
04-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Make sure you're carrying a Stanley Cup with that outfit.

You guys in Philly remember what it looks like, right? :thedolls:Vaguely ;)

Melanie
04-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Melanie - looks like your boys showed up hungry for game 2 and my boys didn't really click as a team tonight. We seemed flat, well played tonight Tampa Bay.

Hungry and MAD! I hate I didn't get to see the game (I was at Epcot), but my son and I were keeping tabs and high-5ing after every goal. I'm sure we were getting some looks. :D

I'm still just astonished on how Stammer has disappeared and the old guys are making their presence known. If only he'd wake up! But regardless, what Guy Boucher and Stevie Y have done in only one year is incredible.

We've got tickets for Monday nights game - ALL IN! Can't wait! :cheer: I just hate that probably close to half the Forum will be filled with Pens fans. That's the price you pay in a military/retiree town. :unsure:

PirateLover
04-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Well last night's Flyers-Sabres game got busted wide open! Glad the Flyguys tied the series. Mel, have fun at the game. There's nothing quite like playoff hockey live and in person.

Melanie
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
There's nothing quite like playoff hockey live and in person.

I'm beyond excited and take your word for it! This is a whole new experience for me. I was supposed to go to the Rays game today, but woke up feeling really bad and decided to stay home and rest because I do NOT want to miss the game tomorrow night! Let's go BOLTS!!

Ian
04-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Maryanne is right ... live playoff hockey is amazing! You're going to love it, Mel.

BraddyB
04-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree, live playoff is a blast. I just feel bad that you are going to see a Loss Tonight !!! I am sure the Pens are going to have a fire lit under their booty's tonight !!!!

Melanie
04-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I agree, live playoff is a blast. I just feel bad that you are going to see a Loss Tonight !!! I am sure the Pens are going to have a fire lit under their booty's tonight !!!!

And a loss I did see. And I will say it was no fun from start to finish. This is how we all felt -----> :bang: Extremely nerve-wracking and frustrating playing from behind the entire game. So glad Marty St. Louis and Dwayne Roloson realized there was a game last night, or it would have been downright ugly. I had a sinking feeling after their 3rd goal immediately after Marty tied it up.

I'm baffled, confused, whatever on where the heck Steven Stamkos has disappeared to and that in itself is probably the most frustrating thing of all to me. It's like he's a complete non-factor. :(

That all said, the Forum was rocking and fan support was great! This is big for Tampa. The Pittsburgh fans were really a non-factor, thank goodness! There were just a few scattered here and there. I did see a fight though. But all the things the new owner has done are incredible and there is more to come in the offseason. We love you Mr. Vinik! Thank you for a great season regardless of the outcome of this series. What a turnaround from last year!

BraddyB
04-19-2011, 07:47 AM
I dont know if its nerves or inexperience but Stamkos really hasnt done much. Vinnie and Marty though are being a real pest though !!!

You guys are lucky that we cant seem to find the net. I think Staal and Neal are having a who can miss more nets competition.

I do have a feeling there is going to be one game suspensions handed out for both sides after last nights hits by Downie and Kunitz. I would be surprised if only one gets it, and if neither gets will I will be blown away.

Win or loss the series, Tampa Bay is going in the right direction. Plus its something to build on for next year. Those noise makers look interesting last night though !!

Melanie
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
You guys are lucky that we cant seem to find the net. I think Staal and Neal are having a who can miss more nets competition.

I do have a feeling there is going to be one game suspensions handed out for both sides after last nights hits by Downie and Kunitz. I would be surprised if only one gets it, and if neither gets will I will be blown away.

Win or loss the series, Tampa Bay is going in the right direction. Plus its something to build on for next year. Those noise makers look interesting last night though !!

I should say defensively I thought both teams played well. We had the chances last night offensively, but just couldn't convert.

I need to go back and watch the hits by Downie and Kunitz. Hard to tell when you are there. Sigh - Downie has done so well this year keeping his temper in check (all attributed to Boucher for sure!). Boy what a hothead and loose cannon he was last year. Yes, fighting is a part of hockey, but you can't score points from the penalty box. I also want to go back and see that hit by Vinny. I get this feeling it was a ticky-tac call. Let's see, I'm going to turn on NHL on the Fly now. ;)

Those rally drums were awesome! Loved them. They were loud and everyone got into it. Don't count on it being as loud Wednesday, as they are giving out thunder sticks instead. Big mistake!

ETA: Something I heard our announcers mention last night on my drive home is that whoever scores first in this series will likely win and I agree. Momentum seems to be a huge factor!

Melanie
04-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Interesting commentary on NHL network on the hits. Panel was split on whether Downie should be suspended. Yes, he left his feet and yes he has a (bad) history. Time will tell.

Unanimous on Kunitz that he's gone for 3 games. Blantant elbow and cheap shot for sure. And Gagne has the history of concussions. :unsure:

BraddyB
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Interesting commentary on NHL network on the hits. Panel was split on whether Downie should be suspended. Yes, he left his feet and yes he has a (bad) history. Time will tell.

Unanimous on Kunitz that he's gone for 3 games. Blantant elbow and cheap shot for sure. And Gagne has the history of concussions. :unsure:

I dont know how they could be split on Downie, Lovejoy didnt have the puck and his skates left the ice, to me thats a no brainer.

3 games for Kunitz I think is a bit much, he isnt a dirty player and doesnt have a history for such things. What makes it look worse was it was Gagne and his history. I am sure if it was reversed and it was Crosby we would be calling for heads.

I think 1 game each, fine, and warning of do it again and you are out for the series.

My biggest problem with the NHL is there is no consistency. Cooke gets suspended rest of season and first round of playoffs. Lucic cross checks a guy in the back of the head no suspension at all??? Chara nearly ends a guys career and no suspension. Is it because Colin Campbells son plays for the Bruins...maybe

There needs to be a rule that ANY hit to the head results in automatic suspension, but the NHL is too afraid to put it in place.

Melanie
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd have to see it again, but they were saying that Downie is 5'9" and Lovejoy is 6'3" (I think) and that it wasn't a head shot. :shrug:

I am sure if it was reversed and it was Crosby we would be calling for heads.

Sorry, but, of course. :rolleyes:

BraddyB
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd have to see it again, but they were saying that Downie is 5'9" and Lovejoy is 6'3" (I think) and that it wasn't a head shot. :shrug:

If you youtube downie hit lovejoy, you will see it.

Sorry, but, of course. :rolleyes:

I can understand, the guy that hit Crosby got nothing. I am not talking about Hedman either, his hit isnt what caused his concussion. He had to have it from the Steckle hit during the Winter Classic

I will say one thing, you def surprised me. Not many women can carry on a conversation about hockey. And to be in Florida yet, thats bonus points !! :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I can understand, the guy that hit Crosby got nothing. I am not talking about Hedman either, his hit isnt what caused his concussion. He had to have it from the Steckle hit during the Winter Classic

Right, right. True enough, he did not. And like I said earlier, I too believe Hedman's hit was not the cause of Crosby's issues. He really shouldn't have been on the ice at all. And I don't say that because I dig Hedman. ;) We met him last year and he's a gentle giant. Love him! I'm just ready for him to grow into his role. I'm still learning all there is about hockey, but it's my understanding defensemen take more time to develop? I'm just impatient!

And although I'm new to hockey, I'm a lifelong sports fan. Definitely one of the things my hubby and I had in common when we met. I just grew up on Tobacco Road where college basketball is king. :D Hockey, what's hockey? ;)

JPL
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Steckel didn't deserve anything it was an accidental collision between the 2 players. It was not a hit so therefore how could it be illegal :confused: If you want to blame anyone for Crosby's current situation the blame falls on himself trying to come back too soon and the Pens Organization for letting him play. In general I guess you can blame Bettman for trying to speed up the game after the lockout. I really can't see how they are going to eliminate concussions or even minimize them without totally changing the rules and equipment.

BraddyB
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
If you want to blame anyone for Crosby's current situation the blame falls on himself trying to come back too soon and the Pens Organization for letting him play.

HUH :confused:

I didnt know you had a MD after your name. I guess you were in the locker room and can explain to me first hand everything that happened.

I know I would clearly risk the future of the best player in hockey for a regular game in the middle of the season. :rolleyes:

NJGIRL
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Maryanne is right ... live playoff hockey is amazing! You're going to love it, Mel.

:thumbsup: We were season ticket holders for 12 years, plus we traveled to Tampa & DC to watch our team. In fact in Tampa we sat right behind our bench for $50 a seat. That wouldn't ever happen in Philly.:D

Melanie
04-19-2011, 03:16 PM
In fact in Tampa we sat right behind our bench for $50 a seat. That wouldn't ever happen in Philly.:D

Nope, it wouldn't. That's about what we paid last night for 2 tickets. Love it! :D

NJGIRL
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Nope, it wouldn't. That's about what we paid last night for 2 tickets. Love it! :D

We went the year the stadium was built. It didn't look finished outside but was very nice inside. When we pulled up and I saw we had to park in a multi level parking garage I wasn't too sure about getting out, but it was a piece of cake. They had everything moving so smooth. They blocked off streets right after the game making them one ways and we were out of there in 10 mins!

You take your life in your own hands in Philly. If you have to cross the street your lucky if you don't get hit by a car. If you park VIP you have to be a race car driver not to be stuck in traffic for an hour after the game. My husband would get me so nervous with all of the weaving and cutting I would just close my eyes until we were back on the bridge. :(

Melanie
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
We went the year the stadium was built. It didn't look finished outside but was very nice inside.

The Forum is nice, and the new owner has plans for upgrades (all new seats, new organ, outdoor upper level margarita deck-something you can only do in Florida-etc.) during the offseason.

How old is the arena the Flyers play in?

NJGIRL
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
The Forum is nice, and the new owner has plans for upgrades (all new seats, new organ, outdoor upper level margarita deck-something you can only do in Florida-etc.) during the offseason.

How old is the arena the Flyers play in?

It was completed in 1996. It's very nice also. We actually started out in the old building so when the new one was complete there was such a big difference.

Melanie
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
So both Downie and Kunitz get a game apiece.

The same guys on NHL on the Fly from last night were on again and said they were surprised by the rulings. Pretty much stuck with their opinions from last night. One did say he thought Downie was punished based on past behavior.

JPL
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Downie was punished based on his past, and probably because the league offices didn't want any more calls coming in from whining Pens Fans ;)

PirateLover
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
You take your life in your own hands in Philly. If you have to cross the street your lucky if you don't get hit by a car. If you park VIP you have to be a race car driver not to be stuck in traffic for an hour after the game. My husband would get me so nervous with all of the weaving and cutting I would just close my eyes until we were back on the bridge. :(
I have never parked VIP but yea, you definitely get stuck in traffic at every event in the complex unless you know a few tricks/secret exits. The thing with Philly is, all of our major sporting arenas are in one area- The Flyers and Sixers play at the Wells Fargo Center (previously the Wachovia Center/First Union Center/CoreStates Center). The Eagles are across the street at Lincoln Financial Field and the Phillies are across the other street at Citizen's Bank Park. Up until recently there were still events going on at the old Spectrum. I was there once when there was a Flyers game, Eagles game, Phillies game, and a concert all going on the same day. That was not fun! I will say though that I feel life as a pedestrian has gotten better in my opinion over the years. I probably go to 30+ events a year these days between my Phillies season ticket plan and other games/events, and I used to be a season ticket holder for the AHL Phantoms who played at the Spectrum, and I would say at 99% of events there are traffic cops at the major intersections. If you have to cut across the middle of the street that can still be touch and go. But yes, the grid lock when you are trying to leave can be terrible. The worst was after a Bruce Springsteen show at the Spectrum. Took us an hour to get out of the lot because one of the exits was closed.

BraddyB
04-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Downie was punished based on his past, and probably because the league offices didn't want any more calls coming in from whining Pens Fans ;)

:ack:

You ready for tonight Melanie !!! I have a feeling its going to be another close one.

NJGIRL
04-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I was there once when there was a Flyers game, Eagles game, Phillies game, and a concert all going on the same day. That was not fun! I will say though that I feel life as a pedestrian has gotten better in my opinion over the years. I probably go to 30+ events a year these days between my Phillies season ticket plan and other games/events, and I used to be a season ticket holder for the AHL Phantoms who played at the Spectrum, and I would say at 99% of events there are traffic cops at the major intersections. If you have to cut across the middle of the street that can still be touch and go. But yes, the grid lock when you are trying to leave can be terrible. The worst was after a Bruce Springsteen show at the Spectrum. Took us an hour to get out of the lot because one of the exits was closed.

We owned season tickets to the Flyers for 12 years. We were at the complex on many occassions when multiple events were going on. We gave up our tickets a few years ago but from what we experienced for years back then is that the traffic cops Never directed any traffic at all. They just stood there and did nothing. We saw so many people almost get hit by cars and many many fender benders just coming out of a parking lot.

We didn't know any better until we went to Tampa and DC and saw what they did and how much better and safer it was.

What blew my mind was that knewing how bad it is there the city or the teams (I don't know who is resonsible) never bothered to come up with a solution to the traffic problem. It was just every man for himself. :ambal:

BraddyB
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Hurricane Crosby warning in effect for Tampa. I think we just might see him tonight since every has been hush hush on who's playing tonight since Kunitz is out for a game.

Melanie funny story about Tampa Bay for ya.

One of my friends is a Pens season ticket holder and I go to some of the games with him. I was at both games when the Pens played TB here. The game back in November the row infront of us had a group of ten people from Tampa Bay. So we asked them how they got their seats, and the responded they won them in an auction. The package was airfare, hotel, and games in both D.C. and Pittsburgh. So we were <chatting> with them and we were asking them about this guy with the last name Rittola. They told us he was with their AHL team and a little bit about him.

Well during the game he made a mistake and my friend busts out Riiiiiiiiitooooooolaaaa, sounding just like the Ricola commericals. I have never seen anyone laugh soo hard about an opposing team getting on one of their players. They were like we need to remember that for when he scores a goal and we can scream it !!! I told them they need to have the horn sound with it :D

I also saw he was called up today !!

Melanie
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Hurricane Crosby warning in effect for Tampa. I think we just might see him tonight since every has been hush hush on who's playing tonight since Kunitz is out for a game.

Melanie funny story about Tampa Bay for ya.

One of my friends is a Pens season ticket holder and I go to some of the games with him. I was at both games when the Pens played TB here. The game back in November the row infront of us had a group of ten people from Tampa Bay. So we asked them how they got their seats, and the responded they won them in an auction. The package was airfare, hotel, and games in both D.C. and Pittsburgh. So we were BS'n with them and we were asking them about this guy with the last name Rittola. They told us he was with their AHL team and a little bit about him.

Well during the game he made a mistake and my friend busts out Riiiiiiiiitooooooolaaaa, sounding just like the Ricola commericals. I have never seen anyone laugh soo hard about an opposing team getting on one of their players. They were like we need to remember that for when he scores a goal and we can scream it !!! I told them they need to have the horn sound with it :D

I also saw he was called up today !!

Eh, to be honest, I'm not that worried if Cindy does play tonight. To me, he's been out so long, it will be unlikely he'd come back guns blazing. But huh, what do I know?

The Rittola/Ricola story is cute! I've seen some fans post it on the Bolts FB page, but I've never heard anyone do it at a game. Of course, I've probably never been there when he scored. ;)

brownie
04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
On to the Western Conference semi-finals for the Wings!

Pagan
04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Man, that whole "Cindy" thing is old. :razz:

BraddyB
04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

But not as old as the Red Wings Roster :D

BraddyB
04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
On to the Western Conference semi-finals for the Wings!

I am pulling for you guys to get to the Stanley Cup. I would like Pens/Wings Round 3...

Not sure who would win, since Hossa wont be on either roster :D

Ian
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Man, that whole "Cindy" thing is old. :razz:Hey, if the dress fits ...

Okay so the only thing I'll say about last night's Flyers game is that A. the Flyers would have won if they could actually manage a quality shot on net. They made Miller look like a hero, but really ... how hard is it to stop shots when you hardly have to move and they're consistently hitting you square in the numbers. B. If that "elbow" by Richards truly warranted a five minute major I'm going to give up on hockey forever. That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Pagan
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey, if the dress fits ...
Yea yea...just worry about getting out of the 1st round, willya? :D

Ian
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Yea yea...just worry about getting out of the 1st round, willya? :DTrust me ... I'm worrying!

BraddyB
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Hey, if the dress fits ...

Okay so the only thing I'll say about last night's Flyers game is that A. the Flyers would have won if they could actually manage a quality shot on net. They made Miller look like a hero, but really ... how hard is it to stop shots when you hardly have to move and they're consistently hitting you square in the numbers. B. If that "elbow" by Richards truly warranted a five minute major I'm going to give up on hockey forever. That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Sid has no problem beating Ryan Miller. A couple that come to mind are the game winners for the Winter Classic and Gold Medal Game in the Olympics ....:fresh:

Melanie
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Not old to me.

Melanie
04-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Sid has no problem beating Ryan Miller. A couple that come to mind are the game winners for the Winter Classic and Gold Medal Game in the Olympics ....:fresh:

Ouch!

Pagan
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Not old to me.
Haters gunna hate. :razz:

Melanie
04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Haters gunna hate. :razz:

Whatever. And it's not really who he's with now, but that aformentioned crushing blow he dealt in the Olympics.

Ian
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Whatever. And it's not really who he's with now, but that aformentioned crushing blow he dealt in the Olympics.I hate him because he plays like a whiny crybaby. Ovechkin is a beast and routinely kills the Flyers, but I've got nothing but respect for the guy because he plays like a man.

I'll continue to refer to him as Cindy as long as he plays the game like a Cindy.

Pagan
04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll continue to refer to him as Cindy as long as he plays the game like a Cindy.
I'm sure he's losing alot of sleep over that. ;)

Ian
04-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm sure he's losing alot of sleep over that. ;)Heh ... I'm fairly certain you're correct.

Ian
04-23-2011, 07:30 AM
:shake:

WDWfanatic742
04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Anyone see the Bobby Ryan goal for the Ducks last night? One of the best I've seen this year.

It's a shame that the NHL has zero consistency in suspending people, or the Ducks might not be down 3-2...

Melanie
04-23-2011, 04:49 PM
OMG!! I'm betting the Bolts players would just assume staying in Pittsburgh for game 6. The CONSOL Energy Center is feeling kinda comfortable. Geez - GO BOLTS! Oh, and some young blond kid scored a couple of goals today. He looks like he may have some potential. ;)

Again, this series has been all about who scores first and momentum. Craziness! We were on the road today and didn't get to see the game. We're out of town for the week, but my hubby will be there on Monday night. Lucky him!!!

BraddyB
04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I hate him because he plays like a whiny crybaby. Ovechkin is a beast and routinely kills the Flyers, but I've got nothing but respect for the guy because he plays like a man.

Ovechkin looks like a beast and plays like a thug !!

You can call him Cindy, I will call him a Captain of team who won the Stanley Cup.

BraddyB
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
OMG!! I'm betting the Bolts players would just assume staying in Pittsburgh for game 6. The CONSOL Energy Center is feeling kinda comfortable. Geez - GO BOLTS! Oh, and some young blond kid scored a couple of goals today. He looks like he may have some potential. ;)

Again, this series has been all about who scores first and momentum. Craziness! We were on the road today and didn't get to see the game. We're out of town for the week, but my hubby will be there on Monday night. Lucky him!!!

Its Ok, we like to close series out on away ice. For some reason, we cant close a series out on home ice.

Melanie
04-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Its Ok, we like to close series out on away ice. For some reason, we cant close a series out on home ice.

I've been reading that. :(

Ian
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Flyers live to fight another day ... game seven here we come!!!

PirateLover
04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Flyers live to fight another day ... game seven here we come!!!

Nothing can be easy with these guys! Glad that we won but game 7... ugh! So nerve wracking. Although we aren't going to get much further without a reliable goaltender. :unsure:

Ian
04-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I know ... I heard a guy on the radio the other day talking about how the Flyers haven't had a great (i.e. Vezina candidate) goaltender in twenty years and at first I was like, "Oh come on! Stop being so dramatic!"

But then I really thought about it and realized the guy was right! We've had a parade of average to below average through here that's pretty stunning if you think about it.

Maybe ... just maybe ... this year's playoffs will make the Flyers realize they're going to have to go out and find a true, Stanley Cup caliber goalie if they honestly want to be contenders. It's almost like the Phillies 4 years ago. They had a young team with a prolific offense, but terrible pitching and you just can't win without great pitching in baseball.

BraddyB
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
The last decent goalie I can remember you guys having was Ron Hextall.

Ian
04-25-2011, 11:43 AM
The last decent goalie I can remember you guys having was Ron Hextall.Yep and that was 20 years ago ... or more!

They must have just horrific in house scouting for goalies or something. You'd think they would have, purely by accident, drafted a guy by now who turned out to be a player!

We've had so many young goalies through here, too. Jean-Marc Pelletier, Nittymaki, Cechmanek, Esche, Ouellet ... not one of them panned out into anything. And then we've had the parade of old, washed-up stiffs like Vanbiesbrouck and Garth Snow and Sean Burke. Painful!!

Hammer
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe ... just maybe ... this year's playoffs will make the Flyers realize they're going to have to go out and find a true, Stanley Cup caliber goalie if they honestly want to be contenders. It's almost like the Phillies 4 years ago. They had a young team with a prolific offense, but terrible pitching and you just can't win without great pitching in baseball.

Ian, here is the problem. As you said in the NBA thread, the Sixers aren't going to be competitative for a decade due to bad contracts and the like. While I do not agree it will not take that long (depends on what is in the new CBA for the NBA). Same people who own the Sixers own the Flyers. While Snider cares more about hockey, the higher ups who control the purse strings aren't going to give him the extra money to give him the goalie you want or the superstar I want for the Sixers.

Melanie
04-25-2011, 11:22 PM
We force a game 7 with nothing from LeCavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos or Gagne, and Roli is playing lights out! I have a good feeling about this. But regardless, what a season! :thumbsup:

Ian
04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Ian, here is the problem. As you said in the NBA thread, the Sixers aren't going to be competitative for a decade due to bad contracts and the like. While I do not agree it will not take that long (depends on what is in the new CBA for the NBA). Same people who own the Sixers own the Flyers. While Snider cares more about hockey, the higher ups who control the purse strings aren't going to give him the extra money to give him the goalie you want or the superstar I want for the Sixers.I don't think that's an issue. The Flyers have always spent, but the problem is they don't have a ton of cap space to work with. Also, great free agent goalies don't come up very often. You really need to draft goalies in the NHL. That's how you get the great ones.

We force a game 7 with nothing from LeCavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos or Gagne, and Roli is playing lights out! I have a good feeling about this. But regardless, what a season! :thumbsup:You know what I love about this series? I can't lose! Either way a team I despise is going to lose and crush the hopes and dreams of their fanbase. :D

brownie
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Glad to see Tampa Bay forced game 7. I hope they can put the Penguins on ice.

Melanie
04-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Glad to see Tampa Bay forced game 7. I hope they can put the Penguins on ice.

So Steve, just curious how Red Wings fans feel about Stevie Y? Happy for him, mad he left the organization, just don't care?

Pagan
04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
You know what I love about this series? I can't lose! Either way a team I despise is going to lose and crush the hopes and dreams of their fanbase. :D
Losing in the playoffs a couple of years removed from a Cup doesn't crush the hopes and dreams of a fanbase.

Not winning one for 36 years does. :razz:

BraddyB
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
You know what I love about this series? I can't lose! Either way a team I despise is going to lose and crush the hopes and dreams of their fanbase. :D

Shouldnt you be worried about tonight?

Ian
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Losing in the playoffs a couple of years removed from a Cup doesn't crush the hopes and dreams of a fanbase.

Not winning one for 36 years does. :razz:Baloney. I think they hurt worse when the expectations are there. I know, for example, that the Phils losing in the playoffs the last two season hurt much worse than it did in 2007 before their Series win. The more you expect, the more it stings when your team fails to deliver. I flat out refuse to believe that any real Penguins fan wouldn't be devastated by a first round playoff exit.

Shouldnt you be worried about tonight?Not particularly worried. I think the Bruins had their shot to ice the series on Sunday and failed to close it out. Anything can happen and goodness knows the Flyers goalie situation makes that doubly true, but if you've watched any of this series the Flyers have been the better team for the vast majority of the playing time. Barring two meltdowns by their goalies, this series would have been settled in the Flyers favor two games ago.

I like their chances. Although I'll be quite honest and say I do not like their chances after this round unless Boucher gets his head back on straight. You can fudge your way through the first round with this goalie carousel, but once we're up against the better competition in the semis not so much.

Pagan
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Baloney. I think they hurt worse when the expectations are there. I know, for example, that the Phils losing in the playoffs the last two season hurt much worse than it did in 2007 before their Series win. The more you expect, the more it stings when your team fails to deliver. I flat out refuse to believe that any real Penguins fan wouldn't be devastated by a first round playoff exit.
Devastated? No. We won the Cup two years ago. Still have that nice, fresh memory lingering. Had they not won a Cup yet, yea...it would be devastating.

I flat out refuse to believe that decades of failure doesn't hurt worse. Sorry bro....I'm a Dolphins fan. I know both kinds of hurt.

BraddyB
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I wouldnt be devastated by a first round exit. Irritated yes, but not devastated.

Now if Crosby and Malkin were both playing and we lost in the first round.....devastated would be an understatement.

Honestly there shouldnt be a game 7, with 5 power plays and a penalty shot, we should have never lost. :ill: Toon Town is in better shape than our power play right now :(

Melanie
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I flat out refuse to believe that any real Penguins fan wouldn't be devastated by a first round playoff exit.

Especially by a TB Lightning team who really had done nothing since their Stanley Cup year, and who thankfully cleaned house in the offseason. :razz:

Will I be disappointed if TB loses tomorrow night? Sure! But devastated and crushed? I don't think so, and I still consider myself a true fan.

I love this quote from Yzerman at his intro press conference:

"There is no easy fix. I don't sit up here with the notion that there is a magic wand I can wave and make changes and we're a Stanley Cup contender. I plan on making the Lightning better for the upcoming season, but the long-term goal is to make this team a perennial contender."

You sure did a heck of a job in such a short time, Stevie Y, and reflecting on what he said here makes me so happy for what the organization has accomplished this year. It's amazing what happens when the players respect the ownership and management. :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Honestly there shouldnt be a game 7, with 5 power plays and a penalty shot, we should have never lost. :ill: Toon Town is in better shape than our power play right now :(

I had to giggle at that penalty shot. That kid has to be embarrassed.

1-30 in power plays for the series. I'd say that's an issue, but it's also good PK on TB's part. And Rollie is playing lights out. That's 3 stop sequence last night was amazing. Fluery, he's rattled a bit. No doubt about that.

BraddyB
04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I had to giggle at that penalty shot. That kid has to be embarrassed.

1-30 in power plays for the series. I'd say that's an issue, but it's also good PK on TB's part. And Rollie is playing lights out. That's 3 stop sequence last night was amazing. Fluery, he's rattled a bit. No doubt about that.

Atleast he stayed on his feet, unlike Stamkos who wiped out on a penalty shot against the Pens in January !!!! :D

BraddyB
04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Fleury is far from rattled, I am not worried about him. When your D is letting you down, and your penalty kill isnt as strong as it was, goals happen.

Big issue, Powerplay and playing sloppy/lazy at times.

When you tie it up, you cant give up a go ahead goal right after :confused:

Melanie
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Atleast he stayed on his feet, unlike Stamkos who wiped out on a penalty shot against the Pens in January !!!!

Distant memory. ;) But yeah, embarrassing no doubt as well. But comparing Steven Stamkos to Chris Conner. Heh. Stammer has many, many amazing highlights to go up against that mess up.

Fleury is far from rattled, I am not worried about him. When your D is letting you down, and your penalty kill isnt as strong as it was, goals happen.

Big issue, Powerplay and playing sloppy/lazy at times.

When you tie it up, you cant give up a go ahead goal right after :confused:

That's what happened to the Lightning in game 3.

We'll see. You guys will now have to clinch on 'home ice' which like you mentioned has been letting you down of late. Should be a good one.

BraddyB
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
If we would lose, I would be ok losing to you guys. Your team battled back from being down. Your team doesnt play dirty, fans seem pretty classy (including you even though you are picking on my Pens ;) )

Now if you were from Philly :sick:

Melanie
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Now if you were from Philly :sick:

We can definitely unite on that one! :D

Ian
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I flat out refuse to believe that decades of failure doesn't hurt worse. Sorry bro....I'm a Dolphins fan. I know both kinds of hurt.True ... Eagles playoff losses hurt bad year after year and I long ago stopped expecting them to win anything. ;)

Now if Crosby and Malkin were both playing and we lost in the first round ..... devastated would be an understatement.Okay honestly I forgot you guys were playing without both of those two. That does change expectations a bit.

Toon Town is in better shape than our power play right now :(Now that's something we can both agree on! :sick:

mamasun
04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
What a great night...just booked a cruise on the dream and my Habs are up 1! Awesome power play goal :number1:

BayLaker25
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
My Philadelphia Flyers have done it again and have come back in a series (again) after looking down and out. I'm am a huge hockey fan :puck:, sporting my Flyers colors today, and think that the NHL Playoffs are more exciting then any other sports playoffs yet they don't get the attention they should. What do you think?

Who is your favorite NHL team? and if your team is not in the playoffs who do you hope wins the Stanley Cup? Of course it's the flyers for me! Can't wait to see who we play next!

GO FLYERS!!! :team: :tigger: Had to put in Tigger with his FLYERS colors

kaylamag
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm a Penguin fan, we'll find out tonight if they make it.:number1:

BraddyB
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
My Philadelphia Flyers have done it again and have come back in a series (again) after looking down and out. I'm am a huge hockey fan :puck:, sporting my Flyers colors today, and think that the NHL Playoffs are more exciting then any other sports playoffs yet they don't get the attention they should. What do you think?

Who is your favorite NHL team? and if your team is not in the playoffs who do you hope wins the Stanley Cup? Of course it's the flyers for me! Can't wait to see who we play next!

GO FLYERS!!! :team: :tigger: Had to put in Tigger with his FLYERS colors

Wow thats alot of Agains, speaking of again....I bet the Flyers won't win the cup this year (again):D

Lets Go Pens !!!!!!!!

PirateLover
04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
let's go flyers!

BraddyB
04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
let's go flyers!

1975 :thumbsup:

PirateLover
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
1975 :thumbsup:
:wait:
Can't get under my skin that easy pal, try again.

Melanie
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
:cheer:

Holy cow - we did it!! What a potentially cardiac arrest inducing final period that was. And that last bit with the Pens PP (6-4) - aaaaaaahhhh! :whew:

I just felt like the Bolts wanted it a little more, and Roli just keeps rolling. Amazing shutout!

I'm giddy!

Ian
04-28-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm giddy, too!! The Pens are out and the flyers don't have to face the Lightning in the semis!

Melanie
04-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah, we get Richard Kiel! :rotfl:

BTW - these NHL lookalikes were funny!

Pagan
04-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats Melanie...your boys played a great series. Go knock out that goon Ovechkin for us, willya?

Pens need some more snipers. You hold TB to one goal, you should win the game. 1-35 on the PP is atrocious.

Guess we now know how much we need Crosby and Geno in there.

BraddyB
04-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Congrats Melanie, now tell your boys to keep it up.

It stinks that we are out, but we were also missing Crosby, Malkin, and Cooke. On the bright side, I dont live in Philly. :)

Ian
04-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Congrats Melanie, now tell your boys to keep it up.

It stinks that we are out, but we were also missing Crosby, Malkin, and Cooke. On the bright side, I dont live in Philly. :)Two years in a row the Flyers advance farther than the Pens ... Keep talkin' .... I'll be watching playoff hockey.

Pagan
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Two years in a row the Flyers advance farther than the Pens ... Keep talkin' .... I'll be watching playoff hockey.
LOL...you sound like a Jets fan.

"But we made it to the AFC Championship game two years in a row!"

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Not to mention that we went 7 games against an evenly matched team WITHOUT our star players, while you needed 7 games to get past the 7 seed....but don't take that into consideration. :razz:

Bottom line, you haven't won in 36 years. Pens have. End of story till you actually sniff the Cup again. ;)

BraddyB
04-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Two years in a row the Flyers advance farther than the Pens ... Keep talkin' .... I'll be watching playoff hockey.

Me too, I have the NHL Network and Versus. :fresh:

barnaby
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Not to mention that we went 7 games against an evenly matched team WITHOUT our star players, while you needed 7 games to get past the 7 seed....but don't take that into consideration. :razz:

The Sabres won 20 ot of their last 24 games.

Seeding in the NHL means little because the teams are so evenly matched. There was only a 4 win difference between the Sabres and Flyers, same with the 1 and 8 seeds in both conferences. Which is why it is not uncommon to see upsets in the NHL playoffs.

Melanie
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Not to mention that we went 7 games against an evenly matched team WITHOUT our star players

:sleepin:

Ian
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Bottom line, you haven't won in 36 years. Pens have. End of story till you actually sniff the Cup again. ;)Yeah, we've had that argument before and I'll say the same thing I said before ... your three year old Cup means as much this season as our 35 year old Cup.

2011 is 2011. Enjoy your golfing.

Pagan
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
:sleepin:
Now see? I congratulated you and your team on your win and this is how you respond?

Nice. ;)

Yeah, we've had that argument before and I'll say the same thing I said before ... your three year old Cup means as much this season as our 35 year old Cup.

LOL. A reply that is expected from a fan that hasn't tasted the prize.

And really...I mean really...do I look like someone who golfs? :razz:

The Sabres won 20 ot of their last 24 games.

Seeding in the NHL means little because the teams are so evenly matched. There was only a 4 win difference between the Sabres and Flyers, same with the 1 and 8 seeds in both conferences. Which is why it is not uncommon to see upsets in the NHL playoffs.

Shhhhh...don't throw logic into this. Ian never does. :thedolls:

BraddyB
04-29-2011, 10:00 AM

I plan on it !!! I should see you on the links in 2 weeks ;)

Ian
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
LOL. A reply that is expected from a fan that hasn't tasted the prize.Sadly, I'm old enough to remember both Flyers Cup wins. ;)

I plan on it !!! I should see you on the links in 2 weeks.Two weeks from now is better than ... well ... right now. :razz:

Melanie
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Now see? I congratulated you and your team on your win and this is how you respond?

Nice. ;)

I know, I know, I shouldn't take it out on you, but I'm sick of reading that the only reason we won is because of who WASN'T playing.

Melanie
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
:woohoo:

BIG win for a 'tired' Lightning team against a 'rested' Caps team on their home ice.

Only bad thing, probably lost Gagne for good. :(

Ian
04-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Only bad thing, probably lost Gagne for good. :(That can only help you. ;)

BraddyB
05-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Come on Melanie, keep your boys going !!!!! I am pulling for your guys to make it to the Cup finals !!! 2 -0 lead over the Caps heading back to Tampa :D

Melanie
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
What a night last night, between the craziness of that game and the news of Bin Laden. What a high!

Come on Melanie, keep your boys going !!!!! I am pulling for your guys to make it to the Cup finals !!! 2 -0 lead over the Caps heading back to Tampa

Not getting too excited yet. Two games in row back to back will be difficult. Hopefully Rollie will stay in this AMAZING zone he's in and the team can keep up the awesome PK. Wow. I'll be there Wednesday night! :puck:

And I hate Ovechkin. No matter the outcome of all this, LOVED Vinny's jumping into the glass a la Ovi when he scored the winner. hehe

BraddyB
05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
What's as good as the Bolts having a 2-0 lead on the Geico Caveman........

The Flyers being down 0-2 to the Bruins !!

:D

Ian
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
What's as good as the Bolts having a 2-0 lead on the Geico Caveman........

The Flyers being down 0-2 to the Bruins !!

:DHeh ... You guys have your own problems to worry about, don't you? First and foremost the soft melon issues Pittsburgh's own version of Greg Louganis is dealing with. :crazy:

Pagan
05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Heh ... You guys have your own problems to worry about, don't you? First and foremost the soft melon issues Pittsburgh's own version of Greg Louganis is dealing with. :crazy:
Um.....:razz: (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Net%20Stuff/peewee.png)

barnaby
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Flyers have problems with goaltending.
In fact, they have had the same problem since the passing of Pelle Lindbergh.:(

Ian
05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Flyers have problems with goaltending.
In fact, they have had the same problem since the passing of Pelle Lindbergh.:(If by "problems" you mean "a complete absence of competent" then yes ... I agree with you.

Although I'd submit it's been since Hextall who was a pretty darn good goalie. Won a Conn Smythe, if memory serves.

barnaby
05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Although I'd submit it's been since Hextall who was a pretty darn good goalie. Won a Conn Smythe, if memory serves.

Agreed there, I forgot all about Hexy. Yep, the year they lost to the Oilers ('87) he won the Conn Smythe. He was a Vezina winner too I think.
Plus, he was fun to watch between scoring goals, fights, and coming out to pummel Chelios in retaliation for the Propp hit in the playoffs. :D

brivers222
05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
The wings have 2 more games until they are golfing... was expecting an early summer with our team... but not this early

Melanie
05-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I heart our 3rd line! Getting it done for us.

6 in a row baby! Hopefully they can make it 7 and get this done tonight when I'm there. Sooo excited!

Oh yeah, I HATE Ovechkin. Just thought I'd mention that.

So no Caps fans on the boards?

BraddyB
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Send Ovie home !!!!!!!!

Melanie
05-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Send Ovie home !!!!!!!!

Okay! Done. Man, that was fun!

Now, bring on the Flyers. Yep, I'd rather Tampa face them, but I don't see it happening.

Soon I'm going to be talking to myself in here.

brownie
05-05-2011, 07:09 AM
The wings have 2 more games until they are golfing... was expecting an early summer with our team... but not this early

Not looking good...

BraddyB
05-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Okay! Done. Man, that was fun!

Now, bring on the Flyers. Yep, I'd rather Tampa face them, but I don't see it happening.

Soon I'm going to be talking to myself in here.

You won't have to worry about the Flyers, that series is pretty much over. I can hear the tears and excuses coming from across the state now :D

Ian
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
The Wings have 2 more games until they are golfing... was expecting an early summer with our team... but not this earlyIf they're looking for partners, I'm pretty sure the Flyers will have some guys ready for the links this Saturday.

You won't have to worry about the Flyers, that series is pretty much over. I can hear the tears and excuses coming from across the state now :DI, for one, am not making any excuses for this team. They've played a pathetic series against the Bruins. No energy, no heart, no real effort. They're playing like a team that thinks they won the Cup by beating the Sabres.

And really as much as I love Laviolette, I think he's made some fundamental mistakes with how he's managed the goalies. He bailed on Bobrovsky too quickly, if you ask me and now he's left with no appealing options. If Bob's the goalie of the future, he should have stuck with him throughout the playoffs, got him the experience, and dealt with the results.

Also, I'm basically of the opinion that Mike Richards is worthless.

Edited to add - Congrats to the Lightning, Mel!! Good luck with the B's in the FInals!

Ramblingman
05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I am not a big NHL person, but being from Tampa, I was overjoyed at the Lightning's Cup crusade in 2004 (wow, has it been that long?) and saddened that a work stoppage derailed their quest for a repeat.

So, happiness now that they are finally reclimbing that mountain. Even if they fail to reach the summit, they have acquitted themselves nicely.

Well Done, Tampa!

brivers222
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Not looking good...

not at all... I said Sharks in 6 at the beginning... never thought we couldn't even get 1 lol sad....

Pagan
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Sharks/Lightning would be a great finals.

BraddyB
05-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Sharks/Lightning would be a great finals.

We know who won't be in the finals.......

Whats worse, not making the second round, or NOT WINNING a game in the second. Either way the Penguins have just as many wins as the Flyers did in round two. :funny:

PirateLover
05-07-2011, 10:48 AM
You won't have to worry about the Flyers, that series is pretty much over. I can hear the tears and excuses coming from across the state now :D

Actually of all the four major sports around here I'd say Flyers fans are the ones LEAST likely to make excuses. Flyers fans are quick to point out flaws in the team/coach/whomever. I can admit that for the most part they played an abysmal series.

brownie
05-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Wings are still in it, game 6 on Tuesday.

brivers222
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Wings are still in it, game 6 on Tuesday.
Wings are STILL IN IT! The most Decisive game in all of sports... GAME 7 on Thursday BABY!:number1:

Melanie
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping for a Bolts-Wings final. What a story that would be!

LittleD
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
YES! Red Wings are still in it, YEA!

Ian
05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm hoping for a Bolts-Wings final. What a story that would be!Gee, that'd be just swell!

:ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack:

BraddyB
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm hoping for a Bolts-Wings final. What a story that would be!

Gee, that'd be just swell!

I can agree with you on that one. :sick:

Melanie
05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Gee, that'd be just swell!

I can agree with you on that one. :sick:

Awww, not to your liking? Too bad at this point there isn't another alternative that appeals to you.

CanadianWDWFan
05-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Glad to see the Wings are still in it. Though I would like the Canucks to win it all. I like to see teams that haven't won the Cup reach the finals.

BraddyB
05-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Awww, not to your liking? Too bad at this point there isn't another alternative that appeals to you.

I can handle Tampa Bay........but Detroit :sick:

Only good outcome of that series would be if you guys beat them in Game 7 in Detroit :D

brivers222
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I am totally geeked for tonights game! "I gotta feeling.....tonights gonna be a good night!"

next round would be nice to have my buddy come back home for at least 2 games. Ryan Kesler has been the heart and soul of that team!

It's weird to see a friend playing in the big leagues.... Not only that, but gracing the cover of hockey video game and having the announcers talk about how he (kesler) was carrying an NHL team on his back!

Wow times have changed since he was a kid playing roller hockey with us in the school parking lots....

But i have to say, the Wings will win out for support if they do in fact play the Canucks lol

Detroit - Tampa would be cool to see... I would love to see Stevie Y. take on his former team for Lord Stanley!

Melanie
05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Flyers - Rangers fans -

Flyers will host Rangers in Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park on Jan. 2.

brownie
05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, the Wings have gone from taping sticks to polishing golf clubs. They gave it a good run with the Sharks but got outplayed in the end.

CanadianWDWFan
05-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Flyers - Rangers fans -

Good Stuff! I LOVE these Winter Classic games. I think that they should do more of them. I for one would like the Leafs to be in one, maybe the cold might make them skate and actually do something!:D

Sorry Mel, right now I am liking the Bruin's chances. I just couldn't stand to see the Bolts winning the Cup again. ;) I think that Vancouver could do it, but with Luongo playing like he is right now they don't stand a chance.

Melanie
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry Mel, right now I am liking the Bruin's chances. I just couldn't stand to see the Bolts winning the Cup again. ;)

It's all good. ;) Like I said before, regardless of how this all works out, what a turnaround in ONE year and Stevie Y has them on the right track.

It will be tough against Tim Thomas and low scoring for sure, cause I'm not taking anything away from Roli either. Those games drive me bonkers! My heart can't take it. :crazy:

I'm just glad it's time to get it started up again. A week+ is too long between these rounds.

Ian
05-13-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm goin'!

BraddyB
05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Flyers - Rangers fans -

The real question is WHY.......does anyone truly care about the Rangers? And then they get to play Philly :sick:

Worse yet its on my birthday,...I know what I wont be watching :D

CanadianWDWFan
05-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Well I feel sheepish!:blush: Mel's Bolts schooled the Bruins for their 8th straight playoff win! They sure did out play Boston in every aspect of the game.

As I write this the Canucks are down 2-1 in the third.:(

CanadianWDWFan
05-15-2011, 10:22 PM
As I write this the Canucks are down 2-1 in the third.:(
I stand corrected it is now 3-2 Vancouver!

brivers222
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Well, the Wings have gone from taping sticks to polishing golf clubs. They gave it a good run with the Sharks but got outplayed in the end.

yeah... for most of the series they were outplayed...

it was pretty annoying that they just didn't put us out of our misery in game 4... really? you come back 3 straight and then a game 7 is played like that????!?!?!

oh well i can focus on my summer now lol

Melanie
05-21-2011, 04:35 PM
:clappy:

We've tied it up!

This playoff hockey stuff is intense. :faint:

darthmacho
05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
The Bruins are the only Boston team that I haven't witnessed win a championship. It happened in my lifetime, but I was too young to remember. It's the reason why the Rapture didn't happen over the weekend. I asked for a "stay" and it was granted. If the B's win, let Armageddon begin, because I can die happy...:thedolls:

Melanie
05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
The Bruins are the only Boston team that I haven't witnessed win a championship. It happened in my lifetime, but I was too young to remember. It's the reason why the Rapture didn't happen over the weekend. I asked for a "stay" and it was granted. If the B's win, let Armageddon begin, because I can die happy...:thedolls:

:fresh:

My husband and oldest DS are going tonight. My other DS and I got to go to game 4 (you know, the SWEEP!!) of the Capitals series, so this is payback. I have faith. This team has exceeded all expectations. GO BOLTS!!

BraddyB
05-25-2011, 05:02 PM

I am ok with that....Now if Philly was about to win the Cup.....I would start saying my goodbyes cause Armageddon is on the way :D

darthmacho
05-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Not too happy this morning...:mad:

Melanie
05-26-2011, 07:51 AM
And we live another day..... :whew:

LET'S GO BOLTS! :puck:

CanadianWDWFan
05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
It was a great game to watch, right down to the wire! The best game is yet to come, GAME 7!!

brivers222
05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I just can't wait for Lord Stanley to come back to Michigan!!! only two more weeks and Stanley will be spending some much desereved time in SE Michigan :)

GO CANUCKS and GO KESLER!

Melanie
05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Congrats to Boston and good luck v. Vancouver! What a great game last night and what a series. I'm just a little upset since Horton shouldn't have even been in the game because of the water bottle incident from Wednesday night. But at the same time, as a fairly new fan, I'm learning things are very inconsistent in the NHL. ;)

Not hanging my head this morning at all. This Lightning team exceeded ALL expectations, and if this is just year one of a Stevie Y. rebuild - woo boy, can't wait for years to come.

Now...on to baseball. It is almost June, you know. :D

WDWfanatic742
05-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm just a little upset since Horton shouldn't have even been in the game because of the water bottle incident from Wednesday night.

Horton should still be on the Panthers...He was one of my favorites when I used to go to games down here.

Melanie
05-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Horton should still be on the Panthers...He was one of my favorites when I used to go to games down here.

Another reason we hate him. Stinkin' Panthers. ;)

CanadianWDWFan
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Just heard the stinking scalpers are getting $2500 for a ticket in Vancouver! Some seats they are even asking $4500 for rinkside seats. Nuts.

It is a real same that the true hockey fans can't afford to go to these great games.

TinksPixieDust
05-31-2011, 10:47 AM
great series vs lightning! That game 7 was one of the best and most intense games ive ever watched! Ekkk! I felt a teeny tiny bit sad for the lightning because i dont hate them like the canadiens or flyers because both teams were crazy, but im glad my bruins are moving on...:number1:

i also heard some tickets were like 10,000....ill watch from my comfy sofa thank you haha:thumbsup:

darthmacho
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Been waiting a lifetime for a B's Stanley Cup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! :mickey:

Melanie
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Been waiting a lifetime for a B's Stanley Cup. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! :mickey:

Hope you have to wait awhile longer..........a good while longer. :thumbsup:

darthmacho
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Hope you have to wait awhile longer..........a good while longer. :thumbsup:

Hey! :old:

Melanie
06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey! :old:

Sorry. Go Vancouver! Remember, I'm bitter. ;)

Melanie
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
THRILLED to hear that Colin Campbell has resigned.

*cough*Nathan Horton*cough*

BraddyB
06-02-2011, 09:42 AM

*cough*Nathan Horton*cough*

ME TOO !!!!!!!!! I root against the Bruins because his son plays for them !! I think they should have had a player or two suspended this year and yet they got nothing. Sorry Bruins fans, nothing against you guys, just him !!!!!

JPL
06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Now if only Bettman would follow his lead!

TinksPixieDust
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
campbell was not allowed to give disciplinary action to any bruins incident because his son was on the team, it was all on the other guys and they did have suspensions this year.

maybe if the lightning didnt give out plastic clappers that they turned into hard projectiles *cough krejci nailed in the head cough* they wouldnt have to worry about tempers. i just dont see how you would want to win with horton sitting on the bench just like burrows shouldnt be suspended because we wont hear the end of it....

BraddyB
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
campbell was not allowed to give disciplinary action to any bruins incident because his son was on the team, it was all on the other guys and they did have suspensions this year.

maybe if the lightning didnt give out plastic clappers that they turned into hard projectiles *cough krejci nailed in the head cough* they wouldnt have to worry about tempers. i just dont see how you would want to win with horton sitting on the bench just like burrows shouldnt be suspended because we wont hear the end of it....

Ok then, why didnt Lucic get a suspension for a cross check to the back of the head of another player?

And how does Chara get nothing for almost ending a guys career ?????

I am sure Colin didnt have any influence in anyway over the other guys

Melanie
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

If only it were so cut and dry...

And by the way, I LOVE those clappers! Woohoo - saving ours for next year! :D

TinksPixieDust
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
why wasnt downie suspended for the hit on boychuk in game 5.

why wasnt cooke suspended for in essence ending savards career.

there are plays every game that should be called suspensions that are questionable and suspensions that are warranted. but shoulda woulda coulda doesnt matter in sports.

your right if only it were so easy to say the lightning would have won if horton wasnt playing

good luck next year. I actually dont hate the lightning,much more enjoyable to play than this canucks teams id take st louis and stamkos any day over these terrible twins

CanadianWDWFan
06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Now if only Bettman would follow his lead!
He should have been first out the door.

Doesn't anyone find it ironic that Brendan Shanahan is now the one to hand out suspensions?

Melanie
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
why wasnt downie suspended for the hit on boychuk in game 5.

why wasnt cooke suspended for in essence ending savards career.

there are plays every game that should be called suspensions that are questionable and suspensions that are warranted. but shoulda woulda coulda doesnt matter in sports.

Absolutely...like Lucic's blind hit on Hedman at the end of game 1. ;)

Ideally, 'shoulda coulda woulda' shouldn't happen in these instances. But it does.

Mickey'sGirl
06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I only realized last night that Kaberle plays for Boston. This changes everything!

Go Bruins!

marlyn
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Go Bruins!

:jaw:

Mickey'sGirl
06-11-2011, 11:42 AM
:jaw:
Sorry Lynne. Kaberle's cute. :heart:

marlyn
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry Lynne. Kaberle's cute. :heart:

so is Kessler!!:blush:

darthmacho
06-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Waited 40 years for this game! :mickey:

brivers222
06-15-2011, 09:44 PM
so is Kessler!!:blush:

he has changed so much over the years... lol i loved his shout out to us in the pregame interview with pierre mcguire..."I have played this game (SCF's Game 7) a million times with my friends in my driveway back home in livonia" yeah that was me and my friends :D

We always dreamed of playing in this game... and now he is being let down by his stupid goalie....

marlyn
06-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Waited 40 years for this game! :mickey:

Me too, but so far it's looking better for you than me :(

Melanie
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Ugh. Boston - please be nice and share!!! Too many championships for you as of late. ;)

brivers222
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Me too, but so far it's looking better for you than me :(

luongo has been a sieve more often than not in this series... I want vancouver to win, but you can't when your goalie lets in 4 goals or more in playoff games....

Tim Thomas has been a rock all series and boston is thriving on it

marlyn
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
luongo has been a sieve more often than not in this series... I want vancouver to win, but you can't when your goalie lets in 4 goals or more in playoff games....

Tim Thomas has been a rock all series and boston is thriving on it

Sadly, I agree with you! Tim Thomas has been amazing! I think Vancouver is a stronger team but Luongo is either brilliant or really, really off. You can't come back from a 2 or 3 goal Boston lead with a solid goalie like Thomas!!!

darthmacho
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Ugh. Boston - please be nice and share!!! Too many championships for you as of late. ;)

If we get this one, I promise not to ask for more. This is really the last of my four home teams to win in my lifetime. I can die happy now...well after a few more WDW trips. :mickey:

darthmacho
06-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Sadly, I agree with you! Tim Thomas has been amazing! I think Vancouver is a stronger team but Luongo is either brilliant or really, really off. You can't come back from a 2 or 3 goal Boston lead with a solid goalie like Thomas!!!

I disagree about the Canucks being the stronger team. I think the Bruins proved themselves here. The Canucks certainly are more skilled, and will be a good team for a long time. They may be champs in the not so distant future. Great series on both sides. :mickey:

brivers222
06-15-2011, 11:18 PM
and now Vancouver is Rioting... just like they did in '94... not classy at all :(

Stitchahula
06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
woo hoo, The Bruins won in a shutout game. I used to watch hockey with my mom and she passed away this year, I know she was watching and cheering them on.

Melanie
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
If we get this one, I promise not to ask for more. This is really the last of my four home teams to win in my lifetime. I can die happy now...well after a few more WDW trips. :mickey:

You got it! Not a lot of folks can say that.

I was listening to ESPN radio in the car yesterday on a long drive, and I can't remember how many cities they said there are with all four major sports. But Boston now has the shortest span of all four winning the championship - 9 years I think?

darthmacho
06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
and now Vancouver is Rioting... just like they did in '94... not classy at all :(

You're right, not classy, but I'm guessing it's not representative of that great city! Once again, a few losers ruining it for the many. :(

TiggerDeb
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Not is only m team in, they won it all... Congrats to the Boston Bruins....:mickey:

BraddyB
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Atleast it wasn't Philly :thumbsup:

Congrats Bruins Fans :beer:

marlyn
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
You're right, not classy, but I'm guessing it's not representative of that great city! Once again, a few losers ruining it for the many. :(

You're right...a few losers ruining it for others. Vancouverites are certainly not like the idiots causing mayhem downtown. Most of us congratulate Boston on their win and cross our fingers for next season!

Patricia
06-16-2011, 07:26 PM

You'd be correct. Talk about adding salt to the wound..

It would seem some "not so nice" people showed up with all the riot tools on them, right down to the gas masks. Obviously they would have started something either way. Sigh.

It was nice to see Vancouverites show up, brooms in hand, downtown this morning to clean up the mess alongside City crews. They were hurt to see their city in such a mess and came out to right things.

Congrats to the Bruins.

brivers222
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I finally heard back from Ryan Kesler's family.. the survived the riot and are heading back to michigan tomorrow... too bad that they are a silver cup light this trip back :(

Oh well, Michigan still proudly represents by the soon to be triple crown winner Tim Thomas (Cup, Conn Smythe, Vezzina)