PDA

View Full Version : Another Digital Camera Question

luvdiznee
04-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Though this is more battery related. Now that I have figured out how to change the battery, I'm running into the problem of buying a NEW battery for it. The first one I got from Walmart for $18. Put it in the camera, showed it at 1/4 level. So I charged it (which you can either do by way of the computer or outlet) from the computer for about 8 hours. Next day I go to turn it on and it wouldn't even turn on. So, took that back.

Then went to Best Buy, got one for $30. Put it in, turned it on. Didn't say or show it was low. But this a.m. I go to turn the camera on and it does nothing. :mad:I really do not believe it is the camera. But it is home charging now, as I'm working. Has been going for about 4 hours now. I guess I will see when I get home, then tomorrow morning if I have to bring that one back.

But if I have to go on a trip without a camera, I won't be happy. :( What do you think.

1DisneyNut
04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Are you trying to charge it through the usb port on your computer? If so, that is not the way to go. One problem is, if your computer hibernates, sleeps or shuts off it will stop charging. I have even seen the computer drain batteries if left connected while hibernating, sleeping or turned off. I recommend using a wall charger.

What type of battery is it? Some of the battery packs are actually interchangeable with regular AA batteries instead of buying those overpriced battery packs.

JPL
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I would charge it overnight using the wall charger before using it. Charging it overnight will make sure the battery has a full charge. Most rechargeable do not come charged so this can be the the problem. I would not recommend charging it using the USB port for the very first time. I usually will only charge using a USB port if I have no other options available.

luvdiznee
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, I am going home now (to check on it) and it is plugged into the outlet so has been going like 7 hours now. So, obviously if the light is off, she should be done charging. ?:secret:So if that's the case, will unplug and see what happens tomorrow a.m. :thedolls:

DizneyRox
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Could be the battery type? There are a few types of rechargables, NiCd, NiMh, and Lithium Ion (and others but these are the big ones ). The charging circuitry in the camera is setup for one of those probably. You want to make sure you get a direct replacement. If the camera didn't come with a Lithium Ion battery, don't get one

The price would start at the low end with NiCd and top out on the Lithium.

You may also have to condition the battery with 3 or 4 full charge cycles with full discharges in between.

The charging circuitry inthe camera is designed to stop charging based on the capacity of the battery. Capacity of the above types can be very different, so he NiMh battery may show as full before it really is fully charged, and the camera would stop.

luvdiznee
04-14-2011, 07:11 AM
OMG! Can it really be both of these batteries? As of this a.m. I turn the camera on and nothing. It's not working. Won't turn on. :confused:

DizneyRox
04-14-2011, 07:30 AM
WIthout knowing the actual camera, I just did asearch online and most seem to be Li-Ion. If you're replacing it with a like battery, it could very well be the charging circuitry in the camera.

Most batteries list at like $18 or less, that I saw.

luvdiznee
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes, it is a Li-Ion. And I did notice with the one I bought from BB, the package had been opened and there was a small clear piece of tape on the back of it that said "Inspected by Best Buy". Unfortunately I did not see that until I had gotten home. But I decided to give it a try anyway. So I brought it back, pointed that out to them. Exchanged it for another one. 3rd times a charm, right? But I certainly made sure it was in a brand new never been opened package. So it is charging now. He said it should only need 3 hours to charge. :confused:But I will see 2morrow a.m. and if it doesn't work, I am giving up. :thedolls:

Thanks all.

kakn7294
04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I always charge my camera battery via a wall outlet and have had no problems - a few hours and it's done. I don't like to charge electronics via the computer, even the ipods. I'm afraid that something will happen to one that will affect the other.

My dad's camera recently started having issues with the battery appearing to not hold a charge. I bought him a new battery and it did the same thing so his is obviously an issue with the camera either not recognizing a fully-charged battery or draining the charge almost immediately. Sounds like yours might be a camera issue as well.

luvdiznee
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Sounds like yours might be a camera issue as well.

Totally agree. Though the camera did turn on when I put that battery inwith this 2nd battery I bought from BB. But because that "brand new, package never opened battery" level was at about 1/4, I did let it charge for about 3 hours (the light had gone off by then) and all seemed fine. Now I turn it this this morning, it still turned on, but was back at the 1/4 level. So I charged it again.

But after this trip this Kodak Camera is retiring. :cool: I'll just have to charge it probably every night that we are there. :thedolls:

Thanks!

Ramblingman
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Probably a smart idea. If three batteries are giving you problems, it's not the batteries. It's either the charger or the camera.

I just got a 12 MP camera just for our trip to DW next month for about $45. That way I don't have to lug around my larger Canon. This one's a point and shoot and will do us fine. I've been using it to get used to it, and the quality is superb.

Side note on the opened package from Best Buy - that only means it was opened and not used. If an item is used, or if it leaves the store and comes back opened, they are required to mark it as such and mark it down. With batteries, they get credit for returning them to the manufacturer for returned ones, so an opened package would be sent back for full credit instead of selling it for a discount.

This would not be the case if they had opened it in the store to insert into a camera to test the camera, or something like that. Sometimes the Geek Squad will open a battery to test a camera just to see if it will turn on. They are the ones who use the "inspected by Best Buy" tape. Odds are the one you got fell in that category.

Either way, I think the smart play is to get a new camera, like you have decided.

joonyer
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
New rechargeable batteries do not come fully charged unlike regular one-time use batteries. And you should not use them until they have been fully charged. That's why it says on the package, "Fully charge before using".