PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours 2 Sneak Preview/CM Previews/Soft Openings

2Epcot
04-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Enter for a Chance to Win a Sneak Preview of Star Tours in 3D!

The power of the Force and the magic of Disney combine in a new digital 3D experience launching to the general public on June 3, 2011. Along with R2-D2 and C-3PO, let the Force guide you to different intergalactic destinations!

Enter the Star Tours Annual Passholder opportunity drawing below for a chance to be one of the very first Disneyland Park Guests to ride the newly re-imagined Star Tours. Take advantage of this exciting chance to be a part of Disneyland Resort history.

You can enter now through the end of the day on May 8, 2011. Annual Passholders may only enter the opportunity drawing once and will not be able to modify their entry once it is submitted.

Please add [email protected] to your address book to assure email delivery if you are selected to participate.

No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Open to persons age 18 or over who are valid Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders as of April 10, 2011. See Official Rules. Drawing ends at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time on May 8, 2011.

Guests are encouraged to select multiple time periods to increase their chances of winning, but they are only eligible to win a single time period. Annual Passholders may only enter the opportunity drawing once and will not be able to modify their entry once it is submitted. Guests of Annual Passholders must also have an Annual Passport. Only winners will be notified.

May 28 and May 29, 2011 are blockout dates for Southern California Select, Southern California, and Deluxe Disneyland Resort Annual Passes. If your time slot is on May 28 or May 29 and you or members of your party have one of these Annual Pass types, you will receive a 1-Day Disneyland Park blockout day ticket for Disneyland Park admission at no charge.

All members of your party must be present and show a Disneyland Resort Annual Passport valid as of April 10, 2011. Admission to the preview event is non-transferable and may not be sold. The winning Annual Passholder must be present for the party to enter the preview event.

Winning time periods will be strictly enforced. Guests will only be allowed to enter the attraction queue during their winning time slot.

The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time. Winning the opportunity drawing does not guarantee admission to the attraction.

Information subject to restrictions and change without notice.

Star Tours
©Disney/Lucasfilm Ltd.
Star Wars © 2011 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM

I have entered.

Disney4us2
04-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I will enter too. Did this for Nemo subs, but wasn't chosen.

BrerGnat
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
YES! How do we enter? Through the AP website?

2Epcot
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
YES! How do we enter? Through the AP website?

Yes, you enter on the annual passholder section of the Disneyland website. You have to enter your passholder number if it is not already on your profile on the site. I, and others have reported having trouble entering their numbers. Mine was rejected several times before it was accepted.

BrerGnat
04-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I was able to do it. I tried to enter using my DH's AP also, but he doesn't have an account set up and it seemed like too much trouble to do so. :blush:

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I'll be at WDW for most of those dates. DH is not coming with me, though, and I promised him I'd not ride Star Tours while I'm over there. I did put in for the last two days, so we'll see.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
04-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Even though I am not a huge fan of anything Star Wars, Brent and I have entered.

:smickey:

Melanie
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I'll be at WDW for most of those dates. DH is not coming with me, though, and I promised him I'd not ride Star Tours while I'm over there. I did put in for the last two days, so we'll see.

That's a big promise!

BrerGnat
04-14-2011, 05:19 PM
That's a big promise!

Yeah, I know! I'll be there with my sister though, and she couldn't care less about Star Wars, so it won't be that hard to resist.

Although, I could argue that since the ride has so many variations, I'd probably not experience the same thing next time I rode it anyway. ;)

BrerGnat
05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
DH is at the park with our son and he just texted me that Star Tours 2 is open, but only for Cast Members.

Hopefully, this means public soft openings will be happening soon!

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Just got the email a little while ago that I had won! WooHoo. So guess we know what I will be doing a week from Saturday.

Probably have to stop by Trader Sams too!
:ewok:

BrerGnat
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I won too! My time slot isn't until Wednesday, June 1 from 9am-1pm, though. We're planning on letting the boys play hooky from school so we can go. :secret: Then, lunch at the new restaurant at DLH! :thumbsup:

tinkwest
05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Me too! Did everyone who entered win?
Now all I have to do is somehow get out of work that day. :yoda:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
To answer your question. No. Not everyone won. I know several that did not receive emails.

Melanie
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I've already ridden. Can I just go with you guys to the new DLH restaurant and bar? :D :marg:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
You are welcome to join me Mel at Trader Sams

LuvsTigger80
05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I won too!!! :thumbsup: 1 week from tomorrow...super excited!!

We are also looking forward to eating at trader sam's when it opens!! so many exciting things happening at disneyland resort in the next month!

2Epcot
05-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I won as well. I have the same day, and time window as you have Natalie.

Melanie
05-17-2011, 06:51 AM
You are welcome to join me Mel at Trader Sams

In a heartbeat Scott! Wish I could. :(

So many winners! You all enjoy. I took 2 flights the other day and both were great. This was a very much needed update and very appreciated. :yoda:

BrerGnat
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I won as well. I have the same day, and time window as you have Natalie.

Cool! Are you planning on being there early? We will be there right at 9! I am guessing our kids will chicken out and we'll take turns riding while the other waits with the boys. ;)

Although, DH did give me the okay to ride next week while I'm at WDW, so maybe it won't be my first flight. :mickey:

wendybird
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
We won, too! Going Monday the 23rd at 9:00a.m. Have one extra seat, as one in our party gets sick on the ride. Anyone want to ride with us?

LuvsTigger80
05-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I have an extra seat too!! my brother in law failed to get his AP in time. So he can not ride with us. If anyone is interested in joining my family we will be going on Tuesday May 24th. Our time is from 4pm to 8pm. Let me know!!:mickey:

MegaDisney
05-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Congrats to the winners!

2Epcot
05-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Cool! Are you planning on being there early? We will be there right at 9! I am guessing our kids will chicken out and we'll take turns riding while the other waits with the boys. ;)

I probably won't get there until about 11:30 that day, since I will be coming from LA that morning.

We won, too! Going Monday the 23rd at 9:00a.m. Have one extra seat, as one in our party gets sick on the ride. Anyone want to ride with us?

I might be interested depending on how early you are going. Probably the earliest I could get there would be about 9:45. Of course is someone else wants to go who didn't win, you should certainly let them go.

robnadina
05-20-2011, 05:03 PM
You guys are SOOO LUCKY! I did not win and was genuinely shocked that I didnt LOL! BTW are the rumors of R2D2 pocorn bucket true?

Melanie
05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
For what it's worth, I just saw a tweet reporting that a soft opening has happened today.

robnadina
05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Just saw that! Shows a 30 min wait. I am at work...LOl :(

BrerGnat
05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, at home with a sick kid. :( No soft opening for us...

2Epcot
05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I saw that online, too late to make it today. Not sure if it is still open, but waits seemed to be staying around 90 min. or so now.

Edit: It seems as of now (5:30pm PST) they are still open, and waits are only 30 min. or less. I guess that what happens with a surprise soft opening.

Melanie
05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Edit: It seems as of now (5:30pm PST) they are still open, and waits are only 30 min. or less. I guess that what happens with a surprise soft opening.

That's how it was last week at WDW. We waited less than 20 minutes both times we rode last Sunday.

Disney4us2
05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
We will be there on Saturday. Hoping they will still be having a soft opening.

On another note. My nephew is a CM and they are doing CM previews for the new (Little Mermaid) Ariel attraction tomorrow (Saturday). Too bad he only was able to get 4 tickets (for him and brother & parents)..... oh well.

DoomBuggyDude
05-21-2011, 12:46 PM
The first run for 2000 guests was yesterday,
for those that were in the right place at the
right time.

:mickey:

2Epcot
05-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm hearing that even with the AP previews, soft openings may continue. The AP tickets will get in with a FastPass.

Mufasa
05-21-2011, 01:59 PM
BTW are the rumors of R2D2 pocorn bucket true?

Yes, there will be an R2-D2 popcorn bucket that I believe comes filled with caramel popcorn and will be available from some of the ODV carts in Tomorrowland

BrerGnat
05-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes, there will be an R2-D2 popcorn bucket that I believe comes filled with caramel popcorn and will be available from some of the ODV carts in Tomorrowland

Mmmmm...caramel corn! I'm going to buy one of these if that's true!

LuvsTigger80
05-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey guys!!:mickey:

So the hubby and I and our 5 yr old went to Disney last night. I knew that they were doing the special preview but had no idea about the soft opening. We got on the train for our grand trip around Disneyland. Found out from a couple behind us on the train and got off at tomorrowland. We waited a little over an hour..but it was so worth it. I can't wait to ride it again. My hubby is jealous because he forgot his hat and it got to ride it twice..:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see this R2d2 bucket....just might have to buy it! we will be back at Disneyland tomorrow...maybe we can ride again:D.

Melanie
05-21-2011, 03:19 PM
So the hubby and I and our 5 yr old went to Disney last night. I knew that they were doing the special preview but had no idea about the soft opening. We got on the train for our grand trip around Disneyland. Found out from a couple behind us on the train and got off at tomorrowland. We waited a little over an hour..but it was so worth it.

Don't you love unexpected treats like that? Glad you got to ride. We rode at WDW last week during soft openings, and I agree...the wait is worth it! :yoda:

Melanie
05-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Only at Disneyland? Hey...I want some sea salt, black pepper, strawbrerry...or even better...soy sauce popcorn! ;)

Mufasa
05-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Only at Disneyland? Hey...I want some sea salt, black pepper, strawbrerry...or even better...soy sauce popcorn! ;)

Should also be available at DHS- I think they go for $15 (plus sales tax)

I also wouldn't mind some of the flavored popcorns to come over from TDL (totally agree on the soy sauce popcorn).

I wonder if there's any thought to bring that strange sea salt ice cream (in the weird clamshells) for when Little Mermaid opens- then they could also tie it in with Shellie May to add to the expanding Duffy universe.

Melanie
05-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Should also be available at DHS- I think they go for $15 (plus sales tax)

I also wouldn't mind some of the flavored popcorns to come over from TDL (totally agree on the soy sauce popcorn).

I wonder if there's any thought to bring that strange sea salt ice cream (in the weird clamshells) for when Little Mermaid opens- then they could also tie it in with Shellie May to add to the expanding Duffy universe.

Yay - we are totally getting a R2 bucket then. We'll look next time we are at DHS. Avoiding that place for awhile. ;)

I remember you liking that weird ice cream. lol!

Mufasa
05-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I remember you liking that weird ice cream. lol!

My memory is more of being scolded by a CM for eating while on the DisneySea transit steamer (granted, I should have known better as the whole eating on the go thing isn't common).

And sea salt ice cream is relatively tame in comparison to some of the other snacks (still can't replace a Dole Whip). There were some other ice cream treats I've enjoyed since in Tokyo- a nice tiramisu ice cream sandwich in TDS. Then over by Pooh they have a honey vanilla ice cream in a very nice ceramic souvenir cup.

On my last visit I tried these fried mochi balls which were quite good.

But what I'd really like are those maple churros and they also had this thing which was almost like a chocolate filled churro but the pastry portion was a little different (very good though). Not sure if I'd have the sesame or honey-lemon churro though.

And the popcorn buckets still are much better at the Tokyo parks (and a very good deal for the refills).

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok.
That makes me feel somewhat better.
At least it should be a very minimal wait for the lucky APs that won.

Disney4us2
05-22-2011, 02:28 PM
We were there yesterday and there was a soft opening. We did a total of 4 flights during the day. It is totally incredible.:thumbsup: I loved seeing Darth Vader:darth:, Yoda :yoda:and Princess Leia. So far my favorite planet is Hawth, the snowy one.

Hope it is open again next Saturday for a soft opening. Little Mermaid was having their CM previews yesterday..... hope there is a soft opening for that as well.

2Epcot
05-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I stopped by the park today for a short time. They are only allowing the Annual Pass preview winners on today. No soft opening.

2Epcot
05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Today was a another soft opening for Star Tours. I was able to ride it twice. I got lucky in that I had no repeat scenes on the 2nd trip.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know how much down time the attraction has had thus far? Today was our AP preview time slot. Much of the time slot it was down. We left the park holding two FPs for it. We were told if we wanted to be a part of the second group we could use them. But even after the end of our time period (1pm) until the beginning of the other winners time slot (4pm) it remained down. When their ride window opened the attraction didn't open as scheduled.

Now I know all things Disney come with the disclaimer but this post isn't about that. It is about the reliability of this attraction. Seems like a HUGE amount of down time for a "new" attraction. Am I wrong? I mean if it continues like this City Hall is going to be swamped with angry day trippers complaining about not being able to ride the down attraction that has been heavily advertised.

Again...this isn't a bashing. The attraction is amazing, when it is working.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh...today I felt really sorry for the Cast Members who had to repeat over and over to the guests what was going on....not only APs but also the other guests wanting to get on the attraction.

tinkwest
05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
For our Star Tours AP Preview we arrived at Tomorrowland probably around 9:30am yesterday. The entrance to Tomorrowland is congested to begin with, right? Add to that confused visitors thinking they could ride and confused winners not knowing where to go or what to do and you come up with an even more congested mess. There should have been more signs, prominently displayed indicating that this was invitation only.

It actually took us three cast members and one guest to help us find the end of the fastpass distribution line (over by Innoventions). When we passed by the ride itself it appeared to be closed down, although I can not confirm that. After receiving Fastpasses and joining the line to actually board the ride we moved along nicely (and almost to the building entrance doors) when suddenly the ride shut down. We were all given the option of waiting in line or coming back later in the day. After reading Scott's post I am glad we chose to stay in line. We waited around 45-60 minutes before the ride opened back up again (to cheers from those remaining in line).

I enjoyed the ride and am looking forward to more visits. Of course I will always miss the original Star Tours where I practically had all of the turns and dialog memorized. But the new "Adventures Continue" turned out better than I expected.

Disney4us2
05-29-2011, 01:58 PM
We too were there yesterday. Our event time was later on in the day at 4pm. The line for the fastpasses was winding around Tomorrowland Terrace over where Nemo is. They then shut the line down since the attraction was not working. We were told to come back later.

After a few rides and dinner we went back to no line for fastpasses and went for our ride. It was very crowded like Paradise and Linda said. I can't wait to next Saturday and see how it is all running.

2Epcot
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know how much down time the attraction has had thus far? Today was our AP preview time slot. Much of the time slot it was down. We left the park holding two FPs for it. We were told if we wanted to be a part of the second group we could use them. But even after the end of our time period (1pm) until the beginning of the other winners time slot (4pm) it remained down. When their ride window opened the attraction didn't open as scheduled.

Now I know all things Disney come with the disclaimer but this post isn't about that. It is about the reliability of this attraction. Seems like a HUGE amount of down time for a "new" attraction. Am I wrong? I mean if it continues like this City Hall is going to be swamped with angry day trippers complaining about not being able to ride the down attraction that has been heavily advertised.

Again...this isn't a bashing. The attraction is amazing, when it is working.

To my knowledge yesterday was the first time the attraction has gone down for any length of time since it re-opened. Apparently there was a major power problem with the whole attraction. It did come back up late yesterday and people were able to ride, though I heard they only had 3 simulators running instead of 4 last night. Also anyone who missed riding yesterday were told their preview time from yesterday would be honored today.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Chris, Thank you very much for the feedback. I was happy to hear it was an electrical issue and that it was only yesterday.

Looking forward to riding it a BUNCH of times when I am on vacation next week!!!!!

2Epcot
05-29-2011, 09:02 PM
My AP preview is on Wednesday and I won't be able to get there until the last hour of my window, so I'm glad I was able to get a couple of rides in on Friday.

Melanie
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Goodness, I'm seeing reports today that the wait is 3-4 hours! Insane. Hasn't even come close to approaching that at WDW.

BrerGnat
06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Goodness, I'm seeing reports today that the wait is 3-4 hours! Insane. Hasn't even come close to approaching that at WDW.

I know, right? Well, one thing that can be contributing is that today was the OFFICIAL opening day, and we only have 4 simulators to WDW's 6.

I'm dismayed to hear that they weren't offering FP today. I hope that was only for today. We have plans to go Sunday morning so DH can ride (DH couldn't get off on our special AP preview day, so we didn't go). I hope at least FP is operational by Sunday. Even DH, the Star Wars fan that he is, won't wait over an hour for that ride (if even that long!), and since I rode it in WDW, I won't wait long either.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I read that they won't be using FP until those kinds of lines die down.
Hope that isn't true.
I had planned on going to the resort a bunch in the next week or so.
Who knows now.
May just go to the beach instead!

:yoda:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Happy Grand Opening Day!!!!

Soon see you ST2.0!

2Epcot
06-04-2011, 01:13 AM
I was there today, and yesterday involved with some of the events. I was able to watch the opening ceremony and got access to the ride before it opened to the public so that was really nice. I couldn't believe the people waiting to get on the ride.

tinkwest
06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Thank you Disney for my AP Preview day!!

Disney4us2
06-04-2011, 04:38 PM
At the park, star tours wait is 120 minutes....yikes. Little mermaid is 30 minutes, not so bad.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, I agree with the Thank You to Disney for the AP previews. Even though it was a raffle, I am glad that I got the chance to go on it before it officially opened to everyone.

Yesterday it hovered around an 80 minute wait and fastpasses were out by the time we got to the park. (which I expected due to the time we arrived at the park)

Love the commercial with Darth Vader riding other attractions in Disneyland!!!!

Melanie
06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
At the park, star tours wait is 120 minutes....yikes. Little mermaid is 30 minutes, not so bad.

What's funny is that I would think that if this were WDW, those wait times would be reversed.

BrerGnat
06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Saturday was a major AP blackout day. Today, ST2 and LM were battling it out on the wait time front. ST2 waits were up to 160 min by 9:00 am. LM was at 120 min at 10:05, only five minutes after DCA opened. They started letting people in at 9am JUST to get in line for LM. Today, most AP holders were allowed to visit the resort. Makes a huge difference.

FP for ST2 was gone for the day before noon, for a midnight closing of Disneyland.

Our family has yet to experience either attraction. I draw the line at a 60 min wait.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok. I love the new attraction. Everything about it....well ALMOST everything.

:soapbox:
I have been on it five times now. On three different days.

And three times I have had the same experience.

How random is that???

Honestly what are the odds of something that is truly random of 40+ experiences being the same three times in five rides.

Plus to those that aren't in the know. First of all they have severely limited fastpasses. And there is a uniqueness to the ST FP. Normally you have to wait until your window begins or two hours whichever is smaller, but not in the case of ONLY this attraction. You may only get another FP for ST if your window has begun for ST. (You may still acquire another FP for a different attraction with traditional rules)