PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian or Animal Kingdon Lodge?

EJS-Houston
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
My Mom, Dad, Brother and I are holding our first family vacation in well over 10 years at WDW this November. I've been going back every other year since 2005, but none of them have been there since the mid-90s. When we went years ago when my brother and I were children, we stayed at The Polynesian, which is where my Dad would like to stay this time. My Brother really wants to stay at The Animal Kingdom lodge and get Savannah-view rooms. Given the choice between those two options, which would you choose? Or would you do both in one trip?

McLiberal8
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Personally, Poly is my choice, if only for the location. AK is pretty far away from my 3 favorite parks (Epcot, MK, and HS), and I like to be close to the action. Nothing cooler than being able to hop on the monorail in the AM!

faline
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Between those two choices, I'd go with the Poly. It's a far more convenient location.

sassy2000
04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I've stayed at both. Here is my opinion on each:
Polynesian- Pros: Beautiful resort. 2 great table-service restaurants in it. Easy access to Magic Kingdom & Epcot. Larger rooms. Able to watch fireworks every night from the beach. The pool is fantastic.
Cons: Did not care for the counter service here. Limited seating and very busy. Pool can also get busy. No hot tub.

AKL- Pros: Gorgeous resort. If u plan to visit in lat November, you'll see their beautiful Christmas decor including the huge tree in the center of the lobby. We loved being able to view the animals at any time. Boma is a fantastic restaurant. The counter service is better here. I like the food choices here. Two hot tubs.
Cons: Farther away from parks and have to use bus (which wasn't bad but monorail is much better). Not a fan of the pool. It's pretty plain IMO. The slide is very small.

Between the 2 resorts, I don't think you can make a bad choice.

brownie
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I'd try to keep dad happy (if my sons ever read this, keep that in mind :D). You could try splitting your stay, but I'm not a huge fan of that after having done it a couple times.

AllDisney
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Never stayed at the Poly but AKL is our favorite:thumbsup:

I would pick the one your Dad wants to stay at. The time you will have with him is priceless:thumbsup:

crazygoalie39
04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I would go with the Poly. AKL is a great resort as well, but you just can't beat the location of the Poly.

sara114
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I just returned from AKL, and have not stayed at the Poly. I think that I would stay at Poly due to the location and ease of transportation. The AKL has Boma, true, but the counter service is very limited and I would have liked a better selection of entree's. I had a arusha view, but didn't see ton's of animals. The view is special if all you did was sit in your room. If you are out and about, then the view means nothing.

DunkieKong
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Another vote for the polynesian here. Having stayed at both, I'd definitely pick the poly. There is nothing like the feeling of being in one of the original Disney resorts. You can hop the monorail to either mk or epcot. If it were financially doable I don't think we would stay anywhere else.

SBETigg
04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
My son really loves the look of the AKL and thinks it would be a great place to stay. But given the choice on our last vacation, even he preferred the Polynesian because of location/transportation options. I would stick with the Poly.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
If it was any other view but the Savannah view I would pick the Poly for location alone...but I really want to be able to stay Savannah view at AKL one day and it is just a gorgeous resort....its a tough choice but the upside is you will make a good decision any way you go

slegrant
04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I have stayed at both and I love the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but I much prefer the convience of the Polynesian (not to mention I think it is one of the prettiest resorts). Being able to hop on a boat or monorail makes getting to the fun easier. The other reason I love the Polynesian is the fact you are so close to other resorts which will give your family places to explore and an abundance of dining options. I hope you have fun:mickey:

jmj18
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Poly would be my choice!

alpro2
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I've stayed at both. Given the choice, I would choose the Poly. :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
It sounds like I would be in the minority here, but AKL would be our choice. The Poly is an awesome resort, but AKL has become our favorite. The quiet, the animals, the food selections - all lead us back to that place as much as possible. They have some of the best restaurants on property, and (in our opinion), the best counter service at Disney at Mara.

I can't argue, if you plan to spend a lot of time at MK or EPCOT, you cannot beat the Poly. If you're not planning as much time at those parks - or if you have your own car - then the location advantage is minimal.

In reality, these resorts are probably both among the nicest resorts in the entire world (not just at Disney). You don't have a bad choice! And a split stay is definitely something to consider. Hope you have a great trip!

BriarRose
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Poly all the way!

EJS-Houston
04-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd try to keep dad happy (if my sons ever read this, keep that in mind :D). You could try splitting your stay, but I'm not a huge fan of that after having done it a couple times.

Brownie, what experience(s) did you have with split stays that make you say that?

EJS-Houston
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
A huge, heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone who replied! I greatly appreciate your advice. I SO love this site!

EJS-Houston
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Never stayed at the Poly but AKL is our favorite:thumbsup:

I would pick the one your Dad wants to stay at. The time you will have with him is priceless:thumbsup:

I agree, AllDisney! Just between you and me (and everyone reading this, which I hope does not include my brother), I think my bro' should just shut up and let Dad have The Polynesian...but I can't very well tell him that. I can, however, cite that the overwhelming majority of Intercot-ers recommended The Polynesian over The Animal Kingdom Lodge...and then cite some of the many reasons you all have beautifully laid out for me.

brownie
04-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Brownie, what experience(s) did you have with split stays that make you say that?

It was the packing and unpacking that was the biggest pain for me. On our 2003 trip, we went from All-Star Movies to the Wilderness Lodge. We had to check-in to the Wilderness Lodge before going out to the parks due to our schedule. I'd rather avoid the hassle. It might be okay if you built the day you switched as a no park day, but for me I think I'd rather stay in one place.

EJS-Houston
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Brownie! I appreciate your experience.

Just talked to Mom; I think we're going to wind up giving everyone what they want, with Mom and Dad either staying the whole time in The Polynesian or splitting their stay between there and The Animal Kingdom Lodge (I shared your concerns with her by phone)...and my Brother and I at The Animal Kingdom Lodge for the entire stay. I mean, after all, we now live in the age of smart phones; coordinating is easy. And Mom and Dad will have their own car.

LudwigVonDrake
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
The Polynesian based on three things: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! :D

Aurora
04-17-2011, 12:36 PM
One more thing that I don't think anyone mentioned: The Poly rooms are MUCH larger. I know with my parents, even though they're not in the room much, this is a big deal. My dad just does not like the smaller-sized rooms. (That's a big reason he bought into DVC a few years ago, but that's another story. :D )

I wouldn't call the AKL rooms small, exactly, it's just that they're not as large as the more pricey deluxes, and the Poly rooms are the biggest on property.

Also, if anyone in your party has any animal allergies, they can sometimes be exacerbated by the animals at AK. No scientific evidence here, just some anecdotal reports by friends.

Jillirose
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Haven't stayed at either, but you could stay at POLY and dine at Boma.

EJS-Houston
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
One more thing that I don't think anyone mentioned: The Poly rooms are MUCH larger. I know with my parents, even though they're not in the room much, this is a big deal. My dad just does not like the smaller-sized rooms. (That's a big reason he bought into DVC a few years ago, but that's another story. :D )

I wouldn't call the AKL rooms small, exactly, it's just that they're not as large as the more pricey deluxes, and the Poly rooms are the biggest on property.

Also, if anyone in your party has any animal allergies, they can sometimes be exacerbated by the animals at AK. No scientific evidence here, just some anecdotal reports by friends.

Interesting point. None of us have exhibited any animal allergies to date, but then again none of us have pet giraffes. I guess we'll find out.

EJS-Houston
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Haven't stayed at either, but you could stay at POLY and dine at Boma.

Yeah...I'm a big fan of Boma. I put my two cents in based on everyone's responses here, but the decision was ultimately Dad's, and he went with Animal Kingdom Lodge, given that it is less expensive, they'll most likely want to spend a lot of time in The Animal Kingdom since they've never been there before, and they'll have their own car with them which, in his mind at least, nullifies the advantage of a hotel on the monorail.

MinnieMommie
04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Want to agree with everyone who said you can't go wrong with either resort and that you should let your dad decide.

Also want to add my experience with a split stay. During our best split stay we spent the first 2 nights at AKL and the following 5 nights at BC. We did have a car and to us that makes a world of difference. On the day we checked out we checked out early, put our bags in the car and headed out to AK for early extra magic hrs. When we left the park we drove over to BC and checked into our room. This was an easy way to split a stay. :mickey:

One more thing: Savannah view is awesome!

EJS-Houston
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Want to agree with everyone who said you can't go wrong with either resort and that you should let your dad decide.

Also want to add my experience with a split stay. During our best split stay we spent the first 2 nights at AKL and the following 5 nights at BC. We did have a car and to us that makes a world of difference. On the day we checked out we checked out early, put our bags in the car and headed out to AK for early extra magic hrs. When we left the park we drove over to BC and checked into our room. This was an easy way to split a stay. :mickey:

One more thing: Savannah view is awesome!

That makes sense, MinnieMommie! I think Dad ultimately decided he didn't want to do any packing and unpacking in the middle of the stay (he's got medical supplies that kind'a complicate and exacerbate that process), but for future reference that's good to know. And good to have the validation about the Savannah view. I know Dad and Mom both plan to head back to the hotel in the middle of the day to just put their feet up on their balcony, catch their breath, relax and enjoy watching the wildlife. I'm kind'a looking forward to that myself.

Bellerella
04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
My vote: ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE!! It is an amazing resort! We have stayed at AKL twice, and we tried the Poly on our most recent trip. The Poly was a beautiful resort and the monorail and ferrys were nice. However, it just didn't have the same ambiance... the same level of magic as the AKL. I personally like the location of the AKL being farther away. It gives it a more relaxed, peaceful feel. And the animals are amazing! It really comes down to what type of experience you want. Do you like to be in middle of the action and just steps away from MK? or do you want some relaxation time? Which are you favorite parks? For my family, our favorites are Epcot and AK so AKL works wonderfully for us. No matter what you choose though, both are great resorts. :mickey:

EJS-Houston
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
My vote: ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE!! It is an amazing resort! We have stayed at AKL twice, and we tried the Poly on our most recent trip. The Poly was a beautiful resort and the monorail and ferrys were nice. However, it just didn't have the same ambiance... the same level of magic as the AKL. I personally like the location of the AKL being farther away. It gives it a more relaxed, peaceful feel. And the animals are amazing! It really comes down to what type of experience you want. Do you like to be in middle of the action and just steps away from MK? or do you want some relaxation time? Which are you favorite parks? For my family, our favorites are Epcot and AK so AKL works wonderfully for us. No matter what you choose though, both are great resorts. :mickey:

'Ya know, for many of the reasons you've just cited I'm glad we went with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I'll never be over the Magic Kingdom (it's where I always like to start a WDW vacation), but it's the park in which I spend the least amount of time.