PDA

View Full Version : ECV Lanes in the Parks?

Granny Jill A
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I've just been reading the thread about the most dangerous thing you've seen.... and ECV's were mentioned (along with double strollers)....

What if they created ECV lanes only, sort of like bike lanes?

They could stripe crossing areas for the ECV's and warn pedestrians to watch for traffic.

What do you think?

MickeysBestPal
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I've just been reading the thread about the most dangerous thing you've seen.... and ECV's were mentioned (along with double strollers)....

They could stripe crossing areas for the ECV's and warn pedestrians to watch for traffic.

What do you think?

There is not enough room.
Remember that there would need to be separate "lanes" heading in both directions for the EVC's, plus, enough room between those lanes so that Northbound and Southbound EVC's would not run into each other (especially with all of the inexperienced first-time EVC drivers.)

JerseyDad
04-11-2011, 11:20 PM

What do you think?

....adding ECV lanes to DisneyWorld...would be like having a NASCAR Race...through Manhattan...at lunch time...on Black Friday.

The unbridled carnage would be mind boggling!!:eek:

ransam
04-12-2011, 12:15 AM
first of all this is not going to be a pretty series of posts, i'll just make one, and not even read responses..cause it will turn ugly and i don't want that.....but this is what i honestly believe.

but as opposed to your idea, I have a better idea, how about a lane on the outside for people who walk only? or how about a lane for people over 60 who move slow? or maybe a lane for foreigners, a lane for people w/ bad body odor, maybe for kids that are under 10 who just run and skip around w/o any consideration for those around them, or one for groups of 10 or more?

but seriously, are you really suggesting that there should be a seperation for people w/ an evc from the "normal" public?
I have used an evc for every trip i have taken for the last 6 years, and my mom has done one ever since i can remember. there have been a total of 2 times there have been any problems, and both times it was because someone was not paying attention and walked in front of us. both times we apologized, and they did too. of course we've had a few comments, and stares.... the "jsut cause you're fat doesn't mean you're handicaped" they don't see the scars on my legs or the brace on my back...99% of the time, people are nice and hold open doors, help you get up and on a ride.
I proimse you that the number of incidents are very few and just magnified by a loud majority.

tell you what, one day get an evc, and i want you to drive it around, throgh the crowd. you'll see how dificult it is.
and believe me when i say that i honestly hope those of you who don't, never need to use an evc, it's not fun. There is nothing i'd like better than one more time, to walk down Main street.

the fact is what makes Disney so special is the vast amount of differnt people, and that everyone gets along, and for just a few days, in one special place all is right w/ the world. do you really think Disney would even consider an idea like that?

i've said my piece, sorry if i was out of line, or offensvie.
There are so many other more offensive people at disney than those in an evc. rude people, loud people, kids running in and out of people, etc....People should quit worring about us, and worry more about just enjoying the magic.

Mickey'sGirl
04-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I appreciate your words, ransam, and I am so happy that most of your WDW experiences on an ECV have been positive ones. I also appreciate all of the different people enjoying WDW together!

I do not think Jill was trying to get anyone going, I honestly believe that she was trying to find a solution to non-ecv/wheelchair users' perception of the "ECV problem". Jill's idea sounds like a bike lane one would find on a busy street. I am sure her intention was not to offend, but to assist.

Granny Jill A
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
....but seriously, are you really suggesting that there should be a seperation for people w/ an evc from the "normal" public?

No, I would never suggest segregating people on ecv's. My flight of fancy idea was in fun, and I expected some funny responses. I'm well aware that there is no room in WDW parks for separate lanes.

the fact is what makes Disney so special is the vast amount of differnt people, and that everyone gets along, and for just a few days, in one special place all is right w/ the world. do you really think Disney would even consider an idea like that?

Again, no they would not. Nor would I expect them to do so.

i've said my piece, sorry if i was out of line, or offensvie.

Moderator: Feel free to delete this thread. I am sorry to upset folks with my weird ideas.

Granny Jill A
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I appreciate your words, ransam, and I am so happy that most of your WDW experiences on an ECV have been positive ones. I also appreciate all of the different people enjoying WDW together!

I do not think Jill was trying to get anyone going, I honestly believe that she was trying to find a solution to non-ecv/wheelchair users' perception of the "ECV problem". Jill's idea sounds like a bike lane one would find on a busy street. I am sure her intention was not to offend, but to assist.

Thanks for supporting me. My idea was pure fantasy, of course. There is not a smidge of room in the parks for anything like an ECV lane. I was being goofy and it backfired big time.

Granny Jill A
04-12-2011, 05:07 PM
....adding ECV lanes to DisneyWorld...would be like having a NASCAR Race...through Manhattan...at lunch time...on Black Friday.

The unbridled carnage would be mind boggling!!:eek:

Now that's the kind of response I expecting to my out-there suggestion. Anyone who has been there knows there is NO ROOM in WDW for ECV lanes, or bike lanes, or in-line skate lanes. There's not even enough room to change your mind at certain times of the year.

I made a faux pas when I kidded around about such a sensitive subject. My apologies, again and again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
My mom is going to have to use one on our next trip due to foot surgery....I did not take offense to your post or see it as mean spirited so do not worry...I do know why Ransam is so sensitive because a lot of people seem to bash ECV riders...but the way I see it rude people are not limited to one category...I have seen rude teenagers, rude ECV drivers, rude parents, rude children, rude older people, rude foreigners, rude Americans, rude cast members...you get my drift...:blah:

but more often I see nice teenagers, nice ECV drivers, nice parents, nice children, nice older people, nice foreigners, nice Americans, nice cast members.:twocents:

TheDuckRocks
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Jill, I like it when I can find a way to lighten up the fact that I have to be dependant on my scooter when traveling. At one time Ellen and I were kidding around here about meeting at WL and having a race through the lobby. We even came up with a point system for extremely bad behavior. Were we serious? Of course not! Were you really serious? No! But I've had a good laugh reading this.
Not to say there haven't been times that I have goofed off with my scooter when in an unpopulated area by doing figure 8s or showing off my turn radius and actually getting that sort of yucky tummy feeling like you get when riding the teacups or seeing just how fast you can go in reverse or opening up full throttle when going down any small hill if you're the only one around or decorating the basket. Is this inappropriate behavior for a senior citizen? I'm at WDW and at heart I'm no longer mobility challenged or gray haired and wrinkled.Have I ever come close to harming anyone while doing this? No! And if the safety of others or myself was in question, I'd put a stop to it immediately. Am I super, super careful around others? Absolutely, at all times. Do I wait hiding at the back of bus loading areas so that others that got there first can get the first bus? Yes. Do I expect any "special" treatment other than what is needed by Disney to assist me? No, no, no.
Well Jill, it looks like I have now taken the heat off you............let the flaming begin!

JerseyDad
04-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Now that's the kind of response I expecting to my out-there suggestion. Anyone who has been there knows there is NO ROOM in WDW for ECV lanes, or bike lanes, or in-line skate lanes. There's not even enough room to change your mind at certain times of the year.

I made a faux pas when I kidded around about such a sensitive subject. My apologies, again and again.

....I don't think it was such an "out there" suggestion...but I did think it needed a bit of levity thrown at it.:D I'm not so sure that your idea wasn't thrown around by Disney engineers and architects (or may still be on their table). The rapid "aging" of the population, and the ability for those with disabilities to be more independant / mobile, presents these kinds of dilemmas all the time. Accesability...whether it's for the aged or handicapped is a HUGE issue. I'm a civil engineer, and I deal with at least one handicapped access problem every week. The current "green movement" emphasis to re-use older buildings and facilities presents the access issue numerous times.
How do you put a h'cap ramp in (replacing stairs) to provide entrance to a building....when the ramp needs to be on public property? There are HUGE liabilty issues there.

How do you force a landlord to install an elevator...at his expense...of +$200,000 for a 6-story building?

How do you provide adequate wheelchair / ecv access on a sidewalk that's only 3' feet wide...in a historic or landmark district...when NOTHING can be altered?

....all the above are issues I've dealt with in the past 6 months. I think that there are a WHOLE LOT of unreasonable requirements and expectations on both sides of the issue. I once had a Buildings Department plan examiner in NYC...ask me where the handicapped parking space was on a site plan for a gas station I was designing. I pointed to the spaces (2 of them) right in front of the proposed convenience store entrance. He said..."no...I want a handicapped space AT the gas pumps". My answer.."If someone is handicapped, they will go to the full-serve pump..and the attendant will pump their gas for them". What he REALLY wanted...was a painted 5' foot wide (blue stripped) area adjacent to the pumps...so that the wheelchair-bound GAS STATION ATTENDANT...could maneuver between the car and pump the gas!! (In my 50 years on this planet...I've NEVER sen a gas station attendant in a wheelchair) And...although it's blatently discriminatory...no gas company will ever hire one. Can you imagine a gas attendant..in a wheelchair....the liability issues are huge....he/she could be hit by a vehicle due to visibility issues....he/she is a prime target for robbery...etc.

And there's abuse from the private sector too...owners will shave dollars off of their planned building improvements in order to come in under the dollar-threshold which requires them to install improvements to make a building accessable....and then they upgrade the improvements after they get the building permit.

I'm sorry for the ramble....it's just one of the sore points I encounter in my everday work. In getting back to the ECV issue....I really believe that many of the "collisions / conflicts" that occur with walking patrons and ECV's...are to be blamed on BOTH sides...and might be fixed by simply enhacing awareness, and visibility. Someone in a wheelchair /ECV..is less visible in a crowd...because they are sitting. If the wheelchair / ECV was fitted with one of those "whip" antenna-type (fiberglass) flags that were on SO MANY bicycles in the '70's & 80's...their visibility is increased ten-fold. We've pretty much all been taught to come to a halt at the BIG RED OCTAGON at an intersection....and to not cross the tracks when the RED LIGHTS ARE FLASHING. It's no different here...it's a case of education...and mutual respect for those that need special access provisions...as well as responsibility on the part of those in ECV's to not abuse the ability to go faster than someone that's walking...just because you can.

ElenitaB
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm going to lock this thread down. Too much potential for hurt feelings, etc., etc. Just call me the big bad ECV rider! :atv: