PDA

View Full Version : Room Charging Priviledges

PeachyGal
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Question about charging to your room. Can you give the front desk a set amount of cash to cover charges to your room? Or is it better to leave a credit card and then pay off your charges at check out?

I don't really want to carry the cash around and would rather charge food, etc back to the room. But, I don't want to put the charges on a card either.

Just curious what we can do.

medic9016
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
We leave a card and go every couple of days to the desk and pay cash. We have never had any problems doing this.

DizneyRox
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't like travelling with lots of money, this included at home and abroad. Credit cards really are meant for this purpose. While I understand many poeple don't like using them, when on vacation, it makes life so much easier.

If you like to budget, use a branded debit card. That will force you to stay within a set amount.

That said, we HAVE done cash on a room key and it worked. It was more like a ton of gift cards we applied, and I think as we charged, they took the money. The is opposite of how putting a credit card down works. In that case, you can charge up to your limit (usually based on level of accomodations, not at all related to your charge limit) and then they will charge your card. If you don't hit your limit, then you can pay off the balance the night before checkout using alternate means.

disney makes it very easy to accept money for payment. However you want to pay Disney will find a way to accept. But with all the crime, etc, cash would be my very last resort as a form of payment. If it does turn up missing, you'll need an alternate form of payment anyway!

LVT
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I believe the room charge limits vary with resort price level.
POP was 500 for all in the room.
I went down daily to pay, since we hit that amount often and it was easier to have everything charged to the room with a nicely detailed invoice. ( and I believe it safer)
Enjoy your trip.

DizneyRox
04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I believe the room charge limits vary with resort price level.
POP was 500 for all in the room.

Unless it's changed:

Value - $500
Moderate - $1000
Deluxe $1500

You can go lower by request, I'm not sure about higher. I think they want to minimize potential losses in case a charge doesn't go through.

This "limit" is a soft limit (for lack of a better word). What happens is, you can charge to your hearts content up to that amount, at which point your card on file will then be charged and it will reset your limit. So, people staying in a value can charge more than $500 during a vacation, but each time they exceed $500 their card will be charged.

If you dont hit the limit during your stay, your balance will be charged sometime during the night BEFORE your check-out date. If you want to pay cash, stop down before you go to bed that night to the front desk and settle your account.

brownie
04-16-2011, 10:49 AM
This "limit" is a soft limit (for lack of a better word). What happens is, you can charge to your hearts content up to that amount, at which point your card on file will then be charged and it will reset your limit. So, people staying in a value can charge more than $500 during a vacation, but each time they exceed $500 their card will be charged.

We've always had to go to the desk to take care of it. I asked on our trip last year, and they said it would charge our card automatically and reset, but that didn't happen. We suddenly couldn't charge to our room anymore because we hit our limit. We ended up just using our credit card. We stayed at Pop Century and they were switching computer systems during our stay, so that may have affected it (also why I asked the question before it happened, all the good it did us.) Even when I went back to the desk, they said it was a problem with our room key and reissued us keys. Still didn't help us to charge to the room.

BugeyedMuggy
04-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Get some gift cards and check with the front desk when you feel you are nearing your limit. You can pay that way and leave the others in the room safe. That way you are not carrying cash and if you keep track of the #'s on the card if any get lost they can be replaced.

kemps@wdw
04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
We use our room key cards for charging, so as to carry less cash. And we review our purchases at the end of each day to keep up with our charges. Then pay when we leave and use our accumulated Disney Rewards Points.

KylesMom
04-17-2011, 10:32 PM
We've always had to go to the desk to take care of it. I asked on our trip last year, and they said it would charge our card automatically and reset, but that didn't happen. We suddenly couldn't charge to our room anymore because we hit our limit. Over the years, it's been hit and miss for us. One year they'll reset our limit without a sign-off, and the next year we'll be stuck at someplace like Pizza Planet with our room card being rejected because we've just crossed our limit.

To the O/P, you can do either. However, definitely keep an eye on your charges so that you stay within your desired budget.

Magic Smiles
04-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I asked on our trip last year, and they said it would charge our card automatically and reset, but that didn't happen. We suddenly couldn't charge to our room anymore because we hit our limit. We ended up just using our credit card.

That happened to us one year, but I am pretty sure that it was the purchase that I was making at that moment that was putting us over the limit. I just used another credit card which I happened to have with me as I was in DTD shopping. Now I always try to go and pay off the bill when I feel it might be approaching the limit.

disneydeb
04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I hit my limit ($500) last trip, the guy at the csh register just called back to Pop Century and had it increased another (500) of course I had not hit my limit on my real credit card...