PDA

View Full Version : Pretrip - A Newbie and Last Family Trip

Ramblingman
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Okay, so I thought I would get into the spirit and post a pre-trip report. Here goes.

This trip will be a special one (aren’t they all?). We will be taking the last trip as a complete family unit. Our DS is graduating from college the week before we leave, and our DD will be finishing her first year of college. We know we will be making other trips, but most likely not just the four of us together as one family. Also, we are taking DS’s GF, who has never been to WDW (or any theme park to my knowledge), so we get the added pleasure of exposing someone new to all the joys and wonders that started with a Mouse.

We are set to drive down to the World on Friday, 20 May. We will be leaving late so that we get there early Saturday and can start the day. Since I grew up in Tampa, we used to stage out of there, spending the night in Tampa and getting up early the next morning and throwing the still-sleeping kids in the back seat. That way, they would always wake up in the parking lot. What a way to wake up. We would dress them right on the spot, which would draw a look or two.

Being retired military, we are staying at Shades of Green. I have not seen much on here about that resort, so hopefully my notes will help anyone who is military and has not stayed there before. We’ve stayed there both before and after the huge upgrade. It is really a top notch place now, surrounded by gorgeous golfing greens.

The first day is planned for MK. We have dinner reservations for most every day but are playing it by ear this day.

Since the Star Wars Weekend is this weekend, we are hitting DHS on Sunday. My DD has become a Star Wars fan and attended a convention last year, so she is really looking forward to this. Dinner on Sunday will be at 50’s Prime Time, with maybe a quick lunch at Sci Fi Drive In (you can avoid the wait if you sit at the tables in the back).

Monday will be spent at AK, taking advantage of the early extra magic hour. Dinner reservations are made for the Rainforest Café.

Tuesday will be spent at Epcot, with reservations at the Living Seas and time set aside for Illuminations.

Wednesday will be a free day, spent partially at the hotel and mainly at DTD. No reservations for dinner, we will eat somewhere at DTD, just not sure where yet.

After all of that, we have three days at a beachfront condo in the Clearwater/St Pete area to relax on the beach and enjoy the water. It’s a five bedroom house, so we will be hosting my family who lives nearby.

It’s going to be a full week but we are already very excited. I’ll try to enter reports as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading and letting me share.

faline
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know much about Shades of Green - I've never even entered that particular resort so it will be fun to read about your stay there.

Yes, life is changing for you but I'll bet you'll have other Disney trips in the future that include both your son and daughter (and perhaps other, new family members as well)!

Not too much longer to wait for your trip!

RedSoxFan
04-07-2011, 06:16 PM
What a great trip planned. Have a wonderful time.

KylesMom
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
What a bittersweet trip, so much happening at once. Lucky you to take a newbie, and no less DS' Girlfriend, for the first time! From the folks I've referred Shades of Green to at my work - just from the knowledge I've gained on here - everyone has loved it. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

One thing I'd like to prepare you for. We've been to no less than six Star Wars Weekends over the years, and if you don't have an ADR at Sci-Fi, we've actually heard the CMs laugh at the walk ups, telling them to come back after 9 pm that evening. I simply don't want you to be disappointed if you can't get in! DS has been a Star Wars fan since he came out of the womb, and this is one of the first "every-other" summers we've never participated since 2000. We're pretty well versed in the procedures of TS dining - and what you can expect for SWW. There aren't that many tables in the back, and they actually count them as TS reservations, so I really wouldn't plan on a walk-up, especially for the opening weekend of Star Tours 2.0. Don't mean to be a downer, but we've seen it firsthand too many times and the disappointment it brings. I must add that whether you get into Sci-Fi or not, I'm certain you'll have a blast. Some of our Star Wars Weekends over the years have created memories that will last a lifetime.

The finish with the beachfront condo to end your trip sounds wonderful. Looking forward to your reports! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the report...haven't heard anything negative about SOG but have heard the rooms are nice and big....have a great time

Ramblingman
04-09-2011, 01:36 PM
SOG is a wonderful place. Rooms are very nice. They have a couple of nice pools and there is a nice restaurant onsite.

Since it's for military and retired only, it's rather restricted. But I know there are lots of active duty and retired out there who read this site, and maybe some of them will find my reports helpful.

As for the Sci Fi Drive In, we expect it to be crowded, more so since it's SW Weekend. Twice, including our last trip, we were able to get in by sitting at the tables in the back. True there are not many of them, but there are enough. It's all a matter of timing. We are not planning on it, just if we get lucky, then we'll have a bite there so the newbie can see it. If not, no biggie.

Ramblingman
05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
16 Days and a wakeup!

Update on our itinerary - I am going ahead and taking off work on Friday and we are driving down that day instead of that night. That way we can check into the room Friday afternoon/evening and then have a nice dinner and maybe enjoy a bit of Downtown Disney before starting fresh Saturday morning at the park.

yjgirl32
05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

Disney-4-Me
05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Sounds magical! Have a wonderful trip!

Ramblingman
05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Doing the Single Digit Dance! 9 days...

DD and DW are getting pretty excited. Even DS is getting into the spirit. Of course we don't see him much as he is prepping for his college graduation this Saturday.

As for the Newbie, she is (I think) getting excited herself, from what I hear. Have not seen her much either.

It's all coming together. My brother can't join us at the beachfront condo due to a scheduling conflict, but they are meeting us at DTD on day 6, and I have arranged to drive to pick up my mother so she can visit with us at the beachfront condo.

Other news - I just found out that the AMC theater is opening a Dine In Theater on 6 screens on 16 May. We were already planning on catching Pirates 4 at DTD. Now we might get to enjoy a meal while doing so. If not, we'll catch another movie at the Dine In and I will include it in my report.

We are packing a lot in on this trip and it's looking good.

MariMouse
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a great trip! We are retired military also and have never stayed at SOG. I will be anxious to hear all about the resort to see if we might want to stay there. Have fun!:mickey:

Ramblingman
05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
You're in for a treat. We stayed there both before and after the major renovation that was finished a couple of years ago.

It's on par with other Disney resorts now. The lobby is huge and resembles a ski lodge. At Christmas time they put a huge tree in the center of the lobby and it's at least 20 feet tall.

Be sure to read my report and I'll give more details. I'll give it a fresh lookover since our last visit was Dec 2009.

Ramblingman
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
The family has been getting excited for a couple of weeks now, and the countdown has reached less than 48 hours to launch. Wife took the change to the bank yesterday and we had enough to pay for the gas for the trip. That's a lot of pennies, dimes and quarters!

Good news. I found out (finally) that Pirates will indeed be showing at the new dine in theaters at the AMC DTD 24. Now the questions become 2D or 3D (DD hates 3D because she wears glasses) and which day to go.

KylesMom
05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
the countdown has reached less than 48 hours to launch Can I just say I wish I was part of your family right now?! :D

There's something to be said about saving that pocket change, isn't there? That's great your gas is paid for - makes it a bit less painful, that's for sure.

Have a wonderful time with your family - enjoy every moment! :mickey:

Suz36
05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! Have a magical time, and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return!

Ramblingman
05-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks. We spent all last night packing and finishing up last minute things. I will be worthless at work today as I think my mind will be wandering.

After some initial hesitation, DS's GF is indeed going. We were afraid she would back out at the last minute but I hope that after this, she will see how magical WDW is and want to return many times.

We will loading the car in 24 hours. Not sure how we'll sleep tonight.

mouseketeer mom
05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Your excitement is evident!!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Ramblingman
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Okay here goes!

I am finally getting the trip report ready to post. I'll start a new post for it.

It was a great trip and we thoroughly enjoyed every single minute. I hope you all read along and enjoy it with us.

See you at the new post!