PDA

View Full Version : Need 1st night dinner ideas for DTD.

Wall-e
04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Not sure what to do for dinner on our first night. Our plane gets into MCO at 4:30. We are staying at POR, so I figure by the time DME gets us to the resort and we get checked in it will be 7:00. This is our first trip to the world, so there will be a lot of stuff we need to figure out. I was planning on taking the boat over to DTD for dinner. Our party consists of Me, Dh, DS(9) and DD(6). I was thinking of T-Rex, but would love other suggestions. Also, what time should I make the ADR for? Thanks!

cer
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
If you are wanting some place to sit and talk, think and plan over dinner, I would not recommend T-Rex. I understand it is a very loud restaurant. Wolfgang Puck's Cafe might be a better option.

But if you just want to play and not think or plan over dinner, T-Rex should be fine.

I am so excited about your trip! I know you will love it! :mickey:

McLiberal8
04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
As I am not a huge fan of DTD, my recommendation for that 1st night would be to head to a resort.
Everytime I go to DTD, it is super crowded, and it just doesn't feel very 'Disney' to me (feels more like Mall of America). For the avid shopper, it might be more of a positive experience, but honestly, I would recommend taking it easy by resort hopping the first night and heading to a resturant like Ohana or Chef Mickeys your first night.
If you are set on DTD, I have enjoy Wolfgang Puck's place in the past. If you have kids who enjoy dinos, sounds like TRex is the way to go!

cer
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Also, when you make your ADR for that first night, remember your body will be on Arizona Time (whatever that is) so a later ADR may suit you just fine. I say that because, I may think that 830 is pretty late to eat dinner, but really on that first night, my Texas body 'thinks' it is only 730....

Mickey'sGirl
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
We have not eaten at T-Rex yet (we are not fans of the Rainforest Cafe, and it is our understanding that it's the same kind of food).

You can get very decent Quick Service meals at Puck's Express in the Marketplace (I had my birthday dinner there last year!).

We will be staying at the French Quarter this year, and plan on taking the boat to DTD for dinner on our first night as well. We have made our ADR at the Portobello at DTD.

cer
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I would recommend taking it easy by resort hopping the first night and heading to a resturant like Ohana or Chef Mickeys your first night.

I agree that this would be a more "Disney" experience. But you need to make sure you allow at least an hour of travel time to make sure you get to your ADR. If you choose either of these, you need to take a bus to MK and then hop on the monorail to either restaurant. Or if you choose Chef Mickey, another option would be to walk from MK to the Contemporary. It would be so cool for you to be able to eat at Ohana and ride the monorail on your first night there. Classic Disney! And you could also see the water parade and likely the fireworks, too! :mickey: :thumbsup:

Again, so thrilled for your first trip!

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
We find its easier to do Counter Service on arrival day so you don't have to worry about being on time for an ADR....Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD has excellent food that is a cut above the regular burger and hot dogs.....

Wall-e
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I agree that eating at a resort and taking a ride on the monorail would be a great way to start our vacation.:mickey: My concern is that I could make a mistake trying to figure out the disney tranporation and that could get dh grumpy and get us off to a bad start. To get to Ohana from POR I would take a bus to a park and then a bus or monorail to the Poly, correct? DTD was my original plan because I figure I can't screw up catching a boat to DTD.:D

McLiberal8
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
To get to Ohana from POR I would take a bus to a park and then a bus or monorail to the Poly, correct?
Yep! You can take a busride to MK, and then walk directly onto the monorail. The stops go : the Contemporary, then Polynesian, then Grand Floridian, then back to MK.
I really do reccomend it, you get to see the castle at night, and ride the monorail which is really uniquely Disney.

SBETigg
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I agree that eating at a resort and taking a ride on the monorail would be a great way to start our vacation.:mickey: My concern is that I could make a mistake trying to figure out the disney tranporation and that could get dh grumpy and get us off to a bad start. To get to Ohana from POR I would take a bus to a park and then a bus or monorail to the Poly, correct? DTD was my original plan because I figure I can't screw up catching a boat to DTD.:D

I normally prefer the resorts over Downtown and I'm not a big fan of Downtown Disney overall. But considering it is your first trip, you will land with plenty of excitement and I think Downtown Disney will be a good choice to keep that excitement building. Plus, as you say, the boatride will be calm and easier to figure out for you than jumping right into transportation involving transfers. I like Raglan Road, but they start live music after 9 that can be very loud. So I would go with Wolfgang Puck's Cafe or even make it a counter service night and get sandwiches from Earl of Sandwich. This gives you more time to enjoy your surroundings.

brownie
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
T-Rex is cool but the food is average and is the same as what you'd find at Rainforest Cafe. I would make a reservation for 7:30pm or later. You never know when you might be delayed with flights.

I'd consider Earl of Sandwich. We haven't eaten at the Downtown Disney location yet, but I have eaten at the one inside Detroit Metro Airport several times and have always had good sandwiches.

cer
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM

I understand your concern. Whatever you decide, when you check in, tell the cast member your plan for the evening and they will be glad to direct you to the right transportation.

DonaldsBFF
04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
You could even just stay at the POR resort that night and grab a counter service at Riverside Mill, there are plenty of options to choose from. Then if you want you could explore the resort after eating, go swimming, or head to DTD to look around. Making an ADR that first night may make things feel rushed and could also cause a bad start to the trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I forgot about Raglan Road, it is pretty good too

laprana
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
If you don't want to mess with making an ADR (and worrying about getting to the ADR on time), I'd highly recommend Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD. It's a quick service restaurant, but the food there is amazing! They have things like spaghetti and meatballs, roasted chicken, excellent salads, salmon, wood-fired pizzas, and so much more! It's definitely a CS place that has dinner-appropriate food! :D

Or, you could also stay at POR and make and ADR for Boatwrights (the TS restaurant there). I've eaten there once and while it's not the most fantastic restaurant I've ever been too, it was good and it has a nice atmosphere. Have a great trip! :mickey:

Patricia
04-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I'd go to DTD but with no ADRs.
Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck express are both great food options without a time constraint. The kids will love the shops, Disney Store, Lego, etc. The boat is a fun start to what will be days of Disney Transportation.

Your resort has a lot to explore too. Lots of trails, playground, fishing hole, carriage rides and a cool pool. The kids may enjoy just eating in the food court there and checking out the property and the gift shop. The pool is fantastic and I could never keep my kids out of it day or night. You may not want to do too much and instead remain rested up for the next day.

When staying there, we often take the boat to the French Quarter in the evenings to have beignets for a late evening snack. (If you go there ask for some Mardi Gras beads for your kids)

Jillirose
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Love both Wolfgang restaurants at DTD. Resort hopping would be fun too. :thumbsup:

Jared
04-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd go to DTD but with no ADRs.
Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck express are both great food options without a time constraint. The kids will love the shops, Disney Store, Lego, etc. The boat is a fun start to what will be days of Disney Transportation.

Your resort has a lot to explore too. Lots of trails, playground, fishing hole, carriage rides and a cool pool. The kids may enjoy just eating in the food court there and checking out the property and the gift shop. The pool is fantastic and I could never keep my kids out of it day or night. You may not want to do too much and instead remain rested up for the next day.

When staying there, we often take the boat to the French Quarter in the evenings to have beignets for a late evening snack. (If you go there ask for some Mardi Gras beads for your kids)
I agree with pretty much everything in Patricia's post. But I also understand how having dinner at Downtown Disney your first night could help the excitement building. I recommend skipping the table service restaurants -- most of them are pretty lackluster -- and having dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express. You can spend the rest of the evening shopping and exploring, perhaps stopping for dessert at Ghirardelli or Goofy's Candy Co.

Pop Centurion
04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
If you're set on having a TS meal I suggest Wolfgang Puck's Cafe but you can't go wrong with the Express if you just want to do a CS like others have suggested.

AllDisney
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd stay at the resort & do some exploring. Eat dinner at your resort. You'll get in @ 4:30 (if on time). By the time you land, get to the resort, check in it could very easily be 6:30. You've been sitting in a plane for sometime. Stretch your legs & go exploring or just go swimming:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Like others, I'd suggest dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich with dessert from Goofy's Candy Company (their "make your own" treats are awesome :thumbsup: ). The kids will love Once Upon a Toy too!