PDA

View Full Version : Rumors

buzz2001
04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Hello, kids. Sorry it is so late but I have one humdinger of a rumor.

Wait. I don’t actually know what a humdinger is. Nevermind. This is huge, that’s all you need to know. We’re hearing a couple of shocking rumors about Disney resorts.

One, we’ve heard that Disney resort managers are being told that when the Art of Animation Resort opens next year late Spring/early summer 2012, Port Orleans Riverside will no longer accept groups of five. Instead, groups of five will have to book a deluxe resort or stay at one of the Animation Suites.

Next, we’re hearing that when the Animation Suites open, the entire Polynesian Resort will be closed. That’s right, I said closed. Something about asbestos and getting rid of it. Managers have been told that Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, resorts that rarely reach capacity, will handle those guests. We’ve heard that Downtown Disney is getting a new fireworks show to make this move more attractive for Saratoga Springs visitors.

Could it be true? I’m not exactly loving these rumors, but you have to admit they’re pretty delicious.

<snip>

Jillirose
04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Exciting!!! I've never stayed at POLY but I'm sure many will miss it while it's out of commission. Looking forward to seeing/hearing about planned improvements....

Ian
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Not buyin' it ... first off many of the Poly longhouses were built long after the era of asbestos. Secondly, the entire resort was refurbed only a few years ago, so it seems doubtful to me that they wouldn't have taken care of that then.

BrerGnat
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I buy the POR rumor, but not the Poly one.

elmjimmlm
04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I hope its not true about POR...If it is then its a hit against a family of 5...If I could afford a deluxe then I would book it but I cant...I would hate to not stay at POR...This is my home away from home and I dont want to move!!!:mad:

Ian
04-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Don't buy the POR rumor either

SBETigg
04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Not buyin' it ... first off many of the Poly longhouses were built long after the era of asbestos. Secondly, the entire resort was refurbed only a few years ago, so it seems doubtful to me that they wouldn't have taken care of that then.

Ian, I was thinking the same thing. Also, they would do a gradual job of it, close one or two longhouses at a time, and finally maybe, if absolutely necessary, the GCH for a short time. No way they would put the whole resort out of commission for a long period of time. It's a key resort for them. "We" want more information before we buy a rumor that sounds so obviously cooked up and false.

Polynesian Dweller
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Not a chance on the Poly one. The rooms were gutted twice in 2002 and 2005. With those refurbs no issues left in the rooms. And even if there were, it's the nature of the placd thatbp they just work on one building at a time. You never have to close the whole thing.

And even if there was asbestos it's harmless until disturbed so you close only the area being worked on. We went through it at our hospital and the work went 1 floor at a time not even a whole building.

Tikiman has addressed this on other boards and nothing to it though there are unspecified issues with the GHC but nothing happening in the foreseeable future.

John
04-07-2011, 12:04 AM
... gotta love the internet...

Belster
04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Maybe they are going to begin to work on Poly for DVC...not close it but section it off????:mickey:

Fingers crossed....I would but in an instant!!

wdwfansince75
04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
It ain't official til Figment (My Hero!) posts it!

Ian
04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Based on what I can tell from checking "The Googles", this entire rumor seems to have sprung up from one somewhat questionable source who (speculatively) may be trying to make a name for his or herself to promote his or her website.

Not saying it's a complete fabrication ... just saying I've yet to see anyone with even a shred of proven credibility substantiate it.

azcavalier
04-07-2011, 09:12 AM
With the POR refurbs and moving to Queen-sized beds, I could believe that rumor. I don't see where there will be room for the trundle anymore. Well...I believe that POR won't be accepting rooms for 5 anymore. But that doesn't mean that they couldn't change one of the other moderates that doesn't have queen-sized beds (POFQ, Caribbean Beach) to have the trundles. When last I checked, only Coronado Springs had queen sized beds amongst the mods.

Belster
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Based on what I can tell from checking "The Googles", this entire rumor seems to have sprung up from one somewhat questionable source who (speculatively) may be trying to make a name for his or herself to promote his or her website.

Not saying it's a complete fabrication ... just saying I've yet to see anyone with even a shred of proven credibility substantiate it.

Oh yikes...that is not good.

SBETigg
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM

And also the policy not to share outside unrelated links. :)

laprana
04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
With the POR refurbs and moving to Queen-sized beds, I could believe that rumor. I don't see where there will be room for the trundle anymore. Well...I believe that POR won't be accepting rooms for 5 anymore. But that doesn't mean that they couldn't change one of the other moderates that doesn't have queen-sized beds (POFQ, Caribbean Beach) to have the trundles. When last I checked, only Coronado Springs had queen sized beds amongst the mods.

I agree, I think this is the only shred of evidence that could lend some credibility to the POR rumor. The changeover to the 2 queen beds really could leave little to no room for the trundle beds. I believe POFQ is in the middle of a refurb now and I know that those rooms are getting queen beds.

I don't buy the Poly rumor for a second.

buzznwoodysmom
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

POFQ is currently getting queen beds too. CBR would be the only Mod left with full sized beds.

Goofster
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
That's disappointing about POR if it's true. We stayed there for one night (before switching to BWV) and loved the resort. We are a family of 5 and we were considering staying there again next February for our entire trip. I guess it might be our last chance to do it. I have no interest in the Value suites at all.

brivers222
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
not buying the poly one... but it would be awesome if they made a DVC portion for it!

kathiep
04-07-2011, 02:17 PM
That's disappointing about POR if it's true.

I agree. We are not a family of 5 (however - it's always a possibility we would have an extra traveler in an aunt or grandmother)...and I am really disturbed with the possibility that they would make changes that wouldn't allow a party of 5 to stay at a moderate resort. Many can't afford a Deluxe or simply don't want that much for a room that don't spend much time in. As it stands now, I didn't think there was enough moderate options for a party of 5.

MOJoe
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

I didn't know the WDW Bus Drivers had their own site. :bus:

big blue and hairy
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I have no idea about the PO rumor, but really, in this era of lawsuits and regulation, do you really think Disney would find asbstos in one of thier hotels and wait months to close it? Can you say worst press of all time??!!! :jaw:

:sulley:

badkitty
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
How do people even come up with this stuff?

lindique
04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not so sure about there not being enough room at POR for the trundles after the renovation. I stayed at POFQ in one of the new rooms. Much of the extra room needed for the Queen beds was gotten from making the nightstand between the beds much narrower. I really didn't notice any significant difference in the floor space in the room at all.

PopPhan
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Sounds like somebody's late with their April Fool's joke....Maybe someone ought to check when the OPs quote was originally posted on the site they took it from....

buzz2001
04-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Talking with people at the Polynesian, they say the rumor is false. They are not closing the whole resort and as far as they are concerned none of the longhouses are being torn down. I don’t believe the reports of asbestos in the rooms since they gutted the rooms in 2002 (as seen in the photo below) and removed everything even the floors. They would have had to put asbestos back into the rooms in 2002 for there to be a problem that needed to be removed now.

The only possible thing that I have heard is that the GCH has some major issues and might need to come down. They are trying to figure out the logistics of doing that and where to move the check-in and open up places like the old Tangaroa Terrace to serve food.

Also any rumors of DVC I am told are completely untrue. Disney decided years ago that there was not enough property at the resort to build DVC and taking out buildings to build bigger DVC rooms was not desirable.

Tikiman did say that GCH has major issues though and could be subject to demolition.

Melanie
04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
So indeed, the site that was the originator of this rumor has now said that is was completely out in left field and not true. Much like so many of us here suspected from the get-go.

So with that, we'll close this thread and get on with discussing more plausible rumors. ;)