PDA

View Full Version : AP Question - Break-even point?

DisneyDINK
04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm trying to figure out under what circumstances buying an AP makes sense? It kind of looks like I would need to take 2 7-day trips within 365 days to make the price work out. Beyond just the price, are the additional discounts and benefits AP holders are elibible for really that good?

DizneyRox
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
In general, plan ONLY on admission days when factoring if the AP is a good option. Discounts can and have changed in previous years (including NO AP discounted rooms).

When comparing prices, to be fair, you need to compare apples to apples. For an AP this means MYW INCLUDING Park Hopping vs an AP. Also compare the water park and more options on against the PAP.

For multiple multi-day trips within 365 days it is often advantageous to get an AP over MYW tickets.

If you will exceed 10 days worth of park tickets for one stay, it is time to start looking at an AP. Once you have to start over with a 1 day pass ($120 or so with the PH option) going over 10 days gets expensive fast.

If you can secure discounts based on having an AP in hand, then you can think about including those in your equation, but don't speculate on discounts.

There are some creative ways to use tickets to extend a vacation without having to purchase additional park admission days, like DTD, water parks, resort hopping, etc, but if you have to be in a park for x number of days, the AP is an alternative. One that I think is quickly dismissed because of it's initial cost, but when used right, it really can be a money saver.

I can't remember ever using any other AP perk except the room discounts. I might of used it once or twice in Planet Hollywood, but I don't think I've ever been able to use it at a "Disney" restaurant. mostly because we don't often frequent the restaurant that take it over something else we might of had, like CM discount or DVC discount or AAA, or TiW... Last time I remember looking at the Perks book for it I wasn't impressed.

DisneyBunch5
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
As a passholder, you have the option of buying the Tables In Wonderland for $75. With it, you can get a 20% discount at many restaurants. The savings can add up quickly, especially with multiple visits.

Basket Mommy
04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Sent you a PM with a link to a great chart.

NJGIRL
04-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I bought an AP last year for the first time and I came up with something different than you.

I took 2 trips: trip #1 used 6 days
trip #2 used 4 days

We always have a car so we didn't have to pay for parking for 10 days. If I would have bought a 10 day ticket then I would have had to add the no experation to the ticket. I also got a discount on the waterparks and Disney Quest.

We also saved 10% on some restaurants at lunch and in most stores.

I think you have to sit down and look at exactly what you need and price it out both ways.

Daisy'sMom
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
You can also get a 20% discount at some restaurants without TIW and discount on merchandise at some of the stores.

ransam
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
don't forget the luxury of just going when you want, or feel ike it.
if i lived within 200 miles of Disney, i would always buy a AP