PDA

View Full Version : Poly People Pre Trip- Spring break, Easter and Birthday, Oh My!

mouseketeer mom
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
This trip began on Valentines Day, when DH surprised me with the gift of a trip to WDW for Easter break. He told me to begin planning, let's make it happen! I wasn't exactly an eager recipient...I was worried about Easter prices. I find it harder and harder to justify the big costs that come along with a holiday week. Especially since we have been staying at the Polynesian for many years, and consider it our home away from home, we really choose not to stay elsewhere. Some creativity was needed to make it happen and bring down the costs...
First in order..A split stay..a compromise was needed. We have decided to stay the first 3 nights at the CR, Garden wing, Garden View. Still a deluxe, still on the monorail line. We have stayed CR before, tower, MK view and enjoyed it. However, each and every trip we rent Sea Raycers. And each and every trip we drive past these rooms and think they look neat. We love that they are right on the water. We love that they are housed separately from the main bldg. We love that a decent view is had by most all of these rooms. The Garden view ensures that we are looking at the pool, water, or marina. Perfect by us. And, most importantly, DD Katie, turning 17 on this trip, has asked to stay here over and over. She loves, loves, loves the walk to the MK. She loves the classic feel of the CR. So decision was made!
Next in order..Polynesian club level. Our home away from home. With a twist. We become AP holders, we snag the discount. Woo Hoo! The AP discount starts on the day we move over to the Poly. Perfect!! And now our future trips this year have the tkts. taken care of. That worked out!!! We are back in July for a split Vero/WDW stay. We request ground floor at both resorts and hope we get it.
This is how we tell the kids....I tell them I picked up a special snack for school, I brought out a basket and had them reach in..they each pulled out a Disney Easter egg filled with candy. They all immediately know and are thrilled. Katie might have teared up a bit, and Kai was just so happy! Khloe insisted she already knew, that I can't pull anything over on her, and she's right! She eats her candy right away and says, now we can finally talk about it!!!
As for ADR's...All made just 2 months prior to the trip, and everything was obtainable. Including Ohana's, Le Cellier, and Chef Mickey's. Also, every tier is still available at the resorts..so I'm hoping that means lower crowds!
So here we go,
Myself, Lisa
DH Steven
DD Katie turning 17 on trip
DD Khloe 15
DS Kai 11

We leave the first day of the kids spring break, arriving a few days prior to Easter. Last year we were here at the same time, and did not have the insane crowds people warned us about. It was all manageable. Wishing for the same this trip. We will arrive at the CR, breathe in relaxation, joy and disbelief..we have pulled off another trip!!!! We will snag KT's BD button, we'll obtain our AP's, and then arrive at our traditional first park...Magic Kingdom!!! That is our plan!
As our trips become more frequent, the push to "get it all in" has diminished greatly. We've been there, done that, and know what we like, what we don't care so much about. And all of us luckily are on the same page with this. So this is what our trip looks like now...
We drink in the Magic Kingdom for the first day or day and a half. This is our favorite park, we haven't arrived until we have exhausted this park. This is where the magic begins and ends for us, each and every trip. We will stay in the MK area for meals the first three days, having ADR's for LTT, Whispering Canyon (we thought it would be fun to boat over from the CR), Chef Mickey's for Easter Brunch, and Ohana's for Easter dinner.
We are hoping for some AK time on Easter Sunday. Some of you know from other trip reports that I have bonded with a special sheep named Duncan over there, who is very old, and is blind. He is so special, the people at AK gave me a Duncan pin, lots of people have connected with this little guy. I thought it would be sweet to visit him on Easter. So we'll head over after Chef Mickey's and have a relaxing day before our dinner at Ohana's.
Then the big switch to the Polynesian! We will monorail over with our bags in the early am, and enjoy breakfast in the lounge after check in. We plan on an Epcot day and trying La Hacienda for the first time for an early dinner on our first Poly day.
The next day is a special BD morning for Katie and myself!! After breakfast in the lounge, Katie and I will head over to Fort Wilderness for the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure Segway tour! Katie and I have done the Epcot segway tour, back in August. It was a huge highlight, such a special experience for us, I think Katie and I laughed and smiled the entire 2 hours. It was a hoot, a blast, just a wonderful shared experience!! So we are very much looking forward to this tour together. Mom and Katie BD time. Afterwards, we'll meet the crew over at DHS for lunch at Sci Fi. We love it there, a must do lunch for us each trip. We'll spend the day there, and head back to the Poly for relaxation and hang out time until our 8 p.m. Luau! We are huge luau fans, loving the drums and dancing especially.
The remainder of our trip is for fun, relaxation and good ADR's...Cape May, Cali Grill, Kona's, and Le Cellier are some of our favorites. We will go to the parks that interest us, getting in lots of Epcot time as well at the Flower and Garden festival. We will spend these last few days just going with the flow. And..enjoying the Polynesian.
Once again, I'm grossly overpacked, so right now I'm trying to weed out my luggage as we finalize things these last few wks! I'm still looking at the window at snow on my deck, so the warm sun will feel amazing to all of us, I'm sure.
This is the first of three trips for us to a Disney Destination between now and August. July holds Vero Beach and WDW, and August is Disneyland. So taking our time and enjoying moments in WDW is what this trip is all about. And of course, celebrating Katie's 17th BD!!! She may, come along, and write her own version of this pre-trip report. KatieDuck22, are you out there??!!!!
Thanks for reading!

faline
04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Lisa, I always enjoy your reports so much! I can't wait to read the latest installment(s)!

I've always wanted to stay in that garden wing section as well. Even after promising ourselves we would, we haven't managed to do so! Instead, I'll live vicariously through your reports!

Happy lizard hunting!

SBETigg
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Happy early birthday to Katie! We joined here at about the same time, Lisa, and it amazes me how our kids have grown! 17! Wow. Sounds like another fabulous trip in the works. Wishing you a wonderful, warm time.

buzznwoodysmom
04-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Yay, Poly people trip reports!!!

Lisa, it sounds like you've got some great plans in there, with lots of "free" time to just go with the flow. I love that approach! I hope Katie has a wonderful birthday and you guys all have a very happy Easter. Can't wait to "hear" all about it.

Dsnygirl
04-05-2011, 03:42 AM
:mickey: Wow... your trip plans sound amazing, and very relaxing. :thumbsup: And so fun that you're trying something new, esp. for your DD who's having a birthday... that is wonderful!! I can just hear the excitement in your voice... it is contagious, and has me aching for our August trip!! Isn't family time in the magic just the best thing?? I hope you have a WONDERFUL time!! :cloud9: Can't wait for the rest of your trip reports! :tikki:

yjgirl32
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Wahoo The Poly People are back! I love reading your trip reports- it gets me so excited for my trips- we too are going back in Sept. Thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Yay..another trip for the poly people!! i always enjoy reading your reports and always so jealous at the amount of times you get to go..
sounds like this trip will be great..cant wait to read all about it!! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow, have a great trip

MizMissy
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Yay!! I'm so glad your trip planning worked out. I'm so looking forward to your trip reports.

Last year, we stayed at CR garden wing and LOVED it. While the Tower is hectic, I found the garden wing rooms with a view of the water and a short (covered) walk to the pool, Tower, and especially the Magic Kingdom to be perfect. One thing to consider may be a request for a first floor room. The garden wing rooms do not have a "real" balcony, merely more of a lean-to (or over), not enough room to sit or even stand. However, the first floor rooms had a small patio (and I think a bistro set??) and opened up to a big open grassy space (we had a view of the channel/canal and could see the boats passing to/from MK). I felt that being on the bottom floor made the room have a bigger, more open feel.

Have a wonderful trip with your family. Enjoy your time together and a big early birthday to KatieDuck22!!

wildernesslady
04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Have a great trip. I look forward to reading your reports when you return.

princessgirls
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Lisa,

Ahhh...WDW...Poly People...You do Disney RIGHT!!

Have a wonderful trip and I'm so glad everything worked out with cost/resorts/ADR's.
It's going to be a wonderful trip!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
It quite literally seems like last week when you began working on this plan, Lisa. Glad everything has come together and you'll have not one but two Deluxe resorts to comment on upon your return. Love the fact that you've finally joined the ranks as an A/P Holder!

I just read Katie's pre-trip report, and if possible I think she's more excited than you this time around!

As always, we'll be anxiously awaiting your return to share the magic with us! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
04-10-2011, 08:23 AM
It quite literally seems like last week when you began working on this plan, Lisa. Glad everything has come together and you'll have not one but two Deluxe resorts to comment on upon your return. Love the fact that you've finally joined the ranks as an A/P Holder!

I just read Katie's pre-trip report, and if possible I think she's more excited than you this time around!

As always, we'll be anxiously awaiting your return to share the magic with us! :mickey:

Yeah, honestly, its made no economic sense that we haven't become AP holders sooner. Thanks for all your help with that, we're glad we finally got around to it too!

MinnieMommie
04-10-2011, 08:43 AM
I am so excited about your trip! I feel as if I am going with you. Can't wait to read the real trip report.

Before we became DVC members we usually stayed in 2 rooms at CR (I have a big family) and often at the CR garden wing. Have some of our best memories staying there. The first floor is so nice. It is really like having a private patio. I know you will enjoy where you are staying. How cool - CR and the Poly in one trip! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
3 days to go!!!! KatieDuck22 and I are over the moon with anticipation! Our bags are packed and the only thing left is giving the house a good cleaning and throwing in some last minute things in our bags! KatieDuck22 just received her drivers licence and a car this past week as well so the joy is overflowing for us here pre-trip.
We reviewed and tweaked our plans and are ready to jump in. We are switching things up and starting at Epcot for the first time now with a relaxed early dinner at Cape May Cafe for our first night. MK will begin for us on our first full day in WDW.
Looking forward to some warmth. It's been a long time!!
Thanks for reading and we'll both report when we're back!

emerzmom
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I hope you have a great trip!

KatieDuck22
04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Here momma duck! hahaha. We're sooo cool! :mickey:

can't wait! and thanks for the birthday wishes!

mouseketeer mom
04-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Here momma duck! hahaha. We're sooo cool! :mickey:

can't wait! and thanks for the birthday wishes!

We are so cool, aren't we Katie Duck??;), While you're finishing your last day of school..I'm cleaning the house!! Whoo Hoooo!!! Tomorrow this time we will be almost ready to land in Orlando!!!!!