PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Disability

massachusetts
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
My DH is in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. He is stil quite mobile but does have a problem getting up from a sitting position. It's also a problem when he's boarding a ride that he has to step down or up from. He tends to panic when he is rushed. My question is should we mention this the the ride attendents so they won't rush him? If so should we do that before we are in the line? Is there anyone else out there who has the same issue?

Mickey'sGirl
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and have a hard time getting up and down as well. I have never felt rushed by the attendants. There definitely will not be an issue on the rides that stop and start to be boarded (such as any boat ride or spinny ride such as Dumbo). Where he might encounter some trouble is with the constant boarding rides such as Peter Pan or Buzz Lightyear. The ride is still in motion, while one is attempting to step into the vehicle ... and that can be tricky with a mobility issue.

Honestly, I think your husband would do well to go to Guest Services and request a Guest Assistance Pass. He should explain to the Cast Member working there that he sometimes needs some extra time boarding rides -- he could use the very same explanation you shared here. They will likely issue him a pass that will explain where he might have a need, and then he will be accommodated accordingly.

I hope you have a fabulous time!

ElenitaB
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I also have an non-visible disability (both balance and mobility issues) and panic a bit when boarding or getting off the Doom Buggies (maybe because it's darker in there than in other loading zones) and Spaceship Earth. I've yet to get a GAC but I do explain to the CM that I need extra time. At Buzz they are always very good about either slowing down the ride vehicles or stop the ride altogether. Since I use an ECV, I also enter the ride from a different loading zone (which is great because at least no one is watching me stumble along).

Rides that require stepping down into would include Pirates, the Tres Caballeros, IASW, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise and Maelstrom (not 100% sure on that one). With the exception of Maelstrom (again, not sure), they are all at a 100% stopped position when you get in and out. Living with the Land has a boat that allows you to walk on.

I would follow Jenn's advice and get a GAC. They are meant to make your trip to WDW less stressful.

Have a great trip! :mickey: