PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Children's Programs of All Time

PirateLover
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Recently there was a lot of debate over Disney's children's programming. I got to thinking, what are YOUR favorite programs for children. It can be from any generation. I'm not just talking fun Saturday morning cartoons (although you may certainly feel free to list them!) but for me the best shows also taught lessons while they entertained.

My top would probably be Sesame Street, Lambchop, and Fraggle Rock. (Can you tell I like puppetry and cute furry animals?)
As far as Disney Channel goes, there were two programs on there when I was young that I really liked- The Secret Life of Toys (which only ran for one season), and Under The Umbrella Tree. Again, more puppetry :blush:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Captain Kangaroo, Electric Company, and Mr. Rogers for me.

barnaby
04-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Scooby Doo, GI Joe and He-Man

PirateLover
04-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Scooby Doo, GI Joe and He-Man

My older brother watched Captain Kangaroo a lot. I remember we had an episode on VHS. I think it was about stone soup. He also loved He-Man. "By the power of Greyskull." I was a huge Scooby Doo fan myself. Rooby rooby doo!

Scar
04-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Although I'm not sure this always qualified as "Children’s Programming"

Overture, curtain, lights,
This is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing our parts
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtain, lights
This is it, we'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it ...

On the educational side:

Sesame Street
Captain Kangaroo

Who remembers... "All the news that's fit to print; and fresh haddock."

Melanie
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Sounds about right! :thumbsup:

Ian
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
You know me ... gotta have a list! :thumbsup:

These are all my favorite shows from when I was little. I only listed true children's shows, though, and not stuff like re-runs of Gilligan's Island and things like that that I also liked.

Bugs Bunny (Looney Toons in general, really)
Sesame Street
Electric Company
Mr. Rogers
Speed Racer
Marine Boy
Saturday Morning Cartoons (too many individual favorites to list!)
Captain Noah (it's a Philly thing)
The Flintsones
Scooby Doo

Altair
04-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Does anyone else remember Science Court? It was only on one season, but it was educational and also very funny.

Another educational and funny show was Histeria!
:thumbsup:

PirateLover
04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Captain Noah (it's a Philly thing)
[/LIST]

"Send a picture to dear old Captain Noah, send today and right away."

"Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue. I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too.":D

joonyer
04-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Gotta Be Fundle Bundle! :D

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I know these arent normal programing but in addition to the cartoons mentioned by other posters, I loved the Holiday specials. Specifically the ones done by Rankin and Bass. I loved the stop motion stuff.

McLiberal8
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
As far as Disney Channel goes, there were two programs on there when I was young that I really liked- The Secret Life of Toys (which only ran for one season), and Under The Umbrella Tree. Again, more puppetry :blush:

I LOVED Under The Unbrella Tree! Also, Eureka's Castle, Muppet Babies, and Gummybears.

Bobby's World, Eek! The Cat, Power Rangers, TMNT, were also faves.

The ultimate show, though, that also solidified my love for Disney for all eternity : The Mickey Mouse Club (MMC).

Ian
04-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Anyone remember 3-2-1 Contact? That was more my brother's generation, but I still watched it from time to time. It was a PBS show that focused on science and scientific principles, but did it in a kid-friendly way.

I always thought that was a good show.

Great Space Coaster?

PirateLover
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I LOVED Under The Unbrella Tree! Also, Eureka's Castle, Muppet Babies, and Gummybears.
We must be from the same generation. Can't believe I forgot Eureka's Castle! I remember being so excited for my mom to take me to Pizza Hut to get the puppets! And Muppet Babies was another good one.

SBETigg
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Way before some of your times... (Maryanne, I only know Eureka's Castle from watching with my babies) but HR Pufnstuff was one of my favorites. I loved all the Syd and Marty Kroftt shows. I had no idea about any possible drug references or anything like that. I just knew that Witchypoo scared the heck out of me and I really wanted Jimmy and his Magic Flute to stay safe. Great shows.

Ian
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Way before some of your times... (Maryanne, I only know Eureka's Castle from watching with my babies) but HR Pufnstuff was one of my favorites. I loved all the Syd and Marty Kroftt shows. I had no idea about any possible drug references or anything like that. I just knew that Witchypoo scared the heck out of me and I really wanted Jimmy and his Magic Flute to stay safe. Great shows.Oh heck then you must remember Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!

Now Sigmund the sea monster and Johnny and Scott are friends ...

I loved the Syd & Marty Kroftt shows, too. HR Puffnstuff was one of my favorites. Great theme song ... all the shows back then had great theme songs. The theme song biz is lacking these days. Hasn't been a truly classic one in a decade or more.

brownie
04-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Some good shows on this thread. Some more recent ones I thought were good are Bear in the Big Blue House, PB & J Otter, and Bob the Builder.

I don't think I saw The Muppet Show listed anywhere; I enjoyed that one.

SBETigg
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh heck then you must remember Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!

Yes! One of my Saturday morning favorites, too. And you're right about theme songs. They really set the tone.

jnfr2424
04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
New Zoo Revue
3-2-1 Contact
Electric Company
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (I think I am dating myself)
Banana Splits
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Sesame Street
Great Space Coaster
The Jetsons
Captain Kangaroo
Mister Rogers
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

SBETigg
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
New Zoo Revue
3-2-1 Contact
Electric Company
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (I think I am dating myself)
Banana Splits
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Sesame Street
Great Space Coaster
The Jetsons
Captain Kangaroo
Mister Rogers
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Well, you're around my age, then, anyway. Electric Company with Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader and Rita Morena's Hey You Guuuys! Amazing. Then Electra Women (Deidre Hall) went on to big soap opera fame. We had some great kids shows back when we were kids.

Joannelet
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
The magic garden with Paula and Carol! I got to meet them when I was little. Romper Room was also a fav- my sis was on one of the shows with Miss MaryAnne and yes Captain Kangaroo! I have a Captain Kangaroo doll and a letter from him!

PirateLover
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't think I saw The Muppet Show listed anywhere; I enjoyed that one.

I did (and still do) watch the Muppet Show but I left it off because it's not what I consider a "Children's" show. Meaning, through it's material and time slot it was geared for all ages to enjoy, not just children. My parents watched it on it's first run well before they had any children :kermit:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
There is only one cartoon for me and that is hands down, Scooby Doo!. Not talking about the Scrappy Doo years or the "Scooby meets the..." years, but season 1, the Creeper, What a Knight for a Fright, the golden oldies.

Most others I liked were mentioned, but dating myself there are a few others (in the cartoon genre) in no particular order.

1. Johnny Quest (one of my all-time favs)
2. StarBlazers (about circa 1979 or 80)
3. Shazam! (and Isis)
4. Lidsville (another physchedelic show like HR puffenstuff) if we only knew then what they really meant.
5. The Super Friends
6. Captain Caveman
7. Space Ghost
8. Josie and the Pussycats
9. Land of the Lost
10. Far out Space Nuts
11. Underdog
12. Tennessee Tuxedo
13. Quickdraw McGraw
14. Sherman and Mr. Peabody
15. Hong Kong Phooey (we love youey)
16. Speedbuggy
17. Rocky & Bullwinkle
18. Popeye

There are probably a few more that I'm not remembering. Makes me feel sad now for my kids. One, I can't tell them to quit watching so many cartoons (based on my own background) and two, they will never truly know what its like to wake up in anticipation on Saturday mornings to watch your favorite cartoons. Those days are sadly gone.

My guilty pleasure now --- Phineas & Ferb

Ian
04-06-2011, 09:00 AM
New Zoo Revue
Banana Splits
Most of the other shows you listed were on my list, as well, but these are
two I loved that didn't get mentioned. Good picks!

1. Johnny Quest (one of my all-time favs)
2. StarBlazers (about circa 1979 or 80)
3. Shazam! (and Isis)
5. The Super Friends
6. Captain Caveman
7. Space Ghost
8. Josie and the Pussycats
9. Land of the Lost
11. Underdog
12. Tennessee Tuxedo
13. Quickdraw McGraw
14. Sherman and Mr. Peabody
15. Hong Kong Phooey (we love youey)
16. Speedbuggy
17. Rocky & Bullwinkle
18. PopeyeAnother great list of shows I could have included on mine. Watched and loved all of these! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh yes, Captain Kangaroo was a favorite for me too. And I also loved Gentle Ben and Flipper, although they weren't educational shows.

There was a child's show in the Twin Cities that was hugely popular when I was a kid, called Lunch with Casey, featuring characters named Casey Jones and Roundhouse Rodney. The highlight of every kid's birthday was to hear his name mentioned after Casey sang his birthday song:

"Happy, happy birthday, to every girl and boy
Hope this very special day brings you lots of joy
Hope the birthday presents you get from Mom and Dad
Will make this very special day the best you've ever had"

Good memories! :D

laprana
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone remember 3-2-1 Contact? That was more my brother's generation, but I still watched it from time to time. It was a PBS show that focused on science and scientific principles, but did it in a kid-friendly way.

I loved that show! I even remember the theme song..."Contact, is the answer, is the reason, why everything happens!" :D

I also loved Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Reading Rainbow, The Letter People, Muppet Babies, and The Snorks! Man, I miss those old shows! :blush:

brad192
04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Here's a few more that haven't been mentioned:

Kimba the White Lion

The Jetsons

The Friendly Giant

Mr. Wizard

The Soupy Sales Show (it's a Detroit thing)

joonyer
04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I used to love Mighty Mouse. Really dating myself now. :) Overall I have to say Captain Kangaroo was the one I watched the most as a child. We only got two stations on our old Sylvania B&W TV.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh yes, Captain Kangaroo was a favorite for me too. And I also loved Gentle Ben and Flipper, although they weren't educational shows.

There was a child's show in the Twin Cities that was hugely popular when I was a kid, called Lunch with Casey, featuring characters named Casey Jones and Roundhouse Rodney. The highlight of every kid's birthday was to hear his name mentioned after Casey sang his birthday song:

"Happy, happy birthday, to every girl and boy
Hope this very special day brings you lots of joy
Hope the birthday presents you get from Mom and Dad
Will make this very special day the best you've ever had"

Good memories! :D

You must remember Romper Room then too !! I have no idea what happened to it, but I'm sure as a kid I had a Casey Jones - Roundhouse Rodney album. I seem to remember the song "Onions I I love" or something like that. A great show.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
You must remember Romper Room then too !! I have no idea what happened to it, but I'm sure as a kid I had a Casey Jones - Roundhouse Rodney album. I seem to remember the song "Onions I I love" or something like that. A great show."I Love Onions"--yes, I remember! That and "Walking in my Winter Underwear" (a little Minnesota humor!)

And Romper Room was a favorite too. Remember this:

Romper bomper stomper boo
Tell me, tell me, tell me do
Magic Mirror, tell me today
Have all my friends had fun at play?

jnfr2424
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
The magic garden with Paula and Carol! I got to meet them when I was little. Romper Room was also a fav- my sis was on one of the shows with Miss MaryAnne and yes Captain Kangaroo! I have a Captain Kangaroo doll and a letter from him!

I forgot about the Magic Garden LOVED IT!! I watch some scenes on youtube!

and I forgot my other fave cartoon Magilla Gorilla!
I have to watch when its on Boomerang!

jennbunn
04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
For me it is the Jetsons,the flintstones, fraggle Rock,seasme street, bear in the big blue house, thomas the train, and ducktails.

barnaby
04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Great Space Coaster?

No gunews is good gunews with Gary Gunews

murphy1
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Romper Room, here, too! I loved all the old Sid & Marty Kroft shows. My mom said when I was a baby, I would squeal and plop my little self on the floor when the Banana Splits came on. My kids love Scooby Doo as much as I did. I hated the Sleeztaks!! They always scared me! My favorite show of all (not a kids) was Twilight Zone!

Evil Genius
04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
As a kid of the late 70's/80's I feel like I grew up in the best era for children's programming!

1) Transformers
2) He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
3) GI Joe
4) The Great Space Coaster
5) You Can't Do That on Television
6) Mr Wizard's World
7) Super Friends
8) Spiderman and his Amazing Friends
9) Double Dare
10) Battle of the Planets

DisneyMom12
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
So many good shows listed. I also loved:

Magic Garden
Great Space Coaster
Muppets
HeMan and Shera
New zoo review
Care Bears
Kids Inc
Heathclif and the Cadilac Cats
Fat Albert
The Jetsons
Josie and the Pussycats
The Flinstones
Jace and the Wheeled Worriors
Smurfs
Snorks

murphy1
04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I forgot that set of shows they did that had Isis, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl!

Evil Genius
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
I was kinda obsessed with Kids Inc! To the poin where I actually bought the one and only LP that was ever produced for them and still have it!

Isis was a spin-off of Shazam and Electro Woman and Dyna Girl was from the minds of Sid and Marty Kroft. I was a huge Kroft fan as well with Wonder Bug being a favorite.

sportsguy2315
04-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Does anyone else remember Science Court? It was only on one season, but it was educational and also very funny.

Another educational and funny show was Histeria!
:thumbsup:

I remember both and that's why I liked them so much was that you had a fun time while learning. I know Science Court episodes are floating around YouTube somewhere but haven't had much luck with Histeria!.

Dopey's Girl
04-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I loved Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, The Smurfs, 3-2-1 Contact, The Jetsons and Fraggle Rock. If any of these came back on Tv that aren't on now, I'd be thrilled!

Ian
04-09-2011, 05:59 PM
My favorite show of all (not a kids) was Twilight Zone!Ooooh me too! I know it's not a kid's show, but I had to comment anyway. The highlight of my year every year is the Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon on Sci Fi. CLASSIC show!

QTPie68
04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Sid and Marty Kroft shows were the best - Nuts from Outer Space was my fav (I love Bob Denver).

Also, this may have been a Seattle show, but Boomerang, hosted by Marni Nixon (who, by the way, did the singing for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and many other dubbed singing in musicals).

murphy1
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Ooooh me too! I know it's not a kid's show, but I had to comment anyway. The highlight of my year every year is the Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon on Sci Fi. CLASSIC show!

My oldest dd loves it now, too, we watched a bunch of episodes on Hulu over Christmas break. Way ahead of it's time!

citizensnoopy
04-16-2011, 12:11 AM
My favorites were:

Ducktales (I have seasons 1-3 on DVD, haha)
David the Gnome
Eureka's Castle
Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
Fluppy Dogs
Doug
Rugrats

I guess I'm a child of the '90s. :D

alphamommy
04-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I was little too old for Sesame Street, and for whatever reason my DD11 never got into it. I think it's a great show!

My personal favorites are: Scooby-Doo (first season or two), Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show, The Electric Company, Kimba the White Lion, The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup, and The Flintstones.

I also watched Captain Kangaroo, but I never liked it that much. It was a matter of that being the only kid thing on at that time of morning.

ftwildernesskid
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I remember when I was 6 or 7 they used to show reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club right after school. I loved it, and of course, Annette was my favorite! I also watched the New Mickey Mouse Club, but didn't like it nearly as much.

Also:
Battle of the Planets
Scooby Doo
Sesamie Street
Electric Company

Zawadi
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Tom and Jerry (Those produced by Fred Quimby)
Wacky Races
Bugs Bunny
Thunderbirds
Dangermouse
Scooby Doo

Ilovemesomedisneymom
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
For my kids, especially my 24 year old, it is Disney Afternoon. Matter of fact for this past Christmas he got the DVDs for Rescue Rangers and Duck Tails.

Mousefever
04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
This show is not actually from my era, but when I babysat I always enjoyed watching Wishbone with the kids.

One of the things I remember from Saturday morning cartoons were the educational shorts in between shows. School House Rock was the main thing, but I also remember some sort of cartoon cowboy figure that would "hanker for a hunka cheese!" And I remember that Aquaman from The Super Friends taught me how to cry something out of my eye by pulling my lower eyelid above the upper one.

ABC Afterschool Specials.

Amy

Ian
04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
My oldest dd loves it now, too, we watched a bunch of episodes on Hulu over Christmas break. Way ahead of it's time!Yeah my oldest DD likes it, too. Her favorite episode is Nightmare at 20,000 feet. She loves that cheesy gremlin guy!

I remember when I was 6 or 7 they used to show reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club right after school.Yeah same here ... in fact, I didn't even really understand they were reruns at the time. I just kinda thought it was a show like any other show, but it was really my earliest exposure to Disney. I loved Guest Star Day. ;)

Today is Tuesday, you know what that means? We're gonna have a special guest!

I also really loved Spin and Marty. I have the Triple R Song on MP3 and listen to it like two or three times a month it brings back such good memories. I used to have this Disney 45rpm record when I was real young that had that song on it and it was my favorite! :thumbsup:

One of the things I remember from Saturday morning cartoons were the educational shorts in between shows. School House Rock was the main thing, but I also remember some sort of cartoon cowboy figure that would "hanker for a hunka cheese!"Huh, yeah I totally remember that cheese guy, but I actually thought he was a local Philly commercial. I didn't realize that was national.

FYI that's available on YouTube if you want to check it out. And Schoolhouse Rocks has a DVD set you can get ... we have it and my kids actually think it's really cool. :cool:

DisneyDog
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I also loved Captain Noah. Send your pictures...I can sing a rainbow. Good times :thumbsup:

I loved Sesame Street, which was born the same year as me.

My favorite show, which wasn't really children's programming, and was running in reruns of reruns by the time I got into it, was The Monkees. Used to watch it every day on channel 48.

Other than that, Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show and Josie and the Pussycats were my favorite.

Diznee4Me
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I watched about 90% of the shows mentioned with Captain Kangaroo, Scooby, Superfriends and Land of the Lost at the top.

But I can't believe that I actually have a show to add that I did not see on anyone's post.

Ark II: Three young scientists travel around the country in the 25th century after the world has been ravaged by pollution. In their hi-tech RV (called Ark II), they study the land and help out those in need.

I remember Robby the Robot guest starred in an episode, there was a chhimpanzee as part of the crew, and the lady - Ruth - was hot, even to this eight year old!:D

Kathy Jetson
05-03-2011, 11:46 PM
I love all the old Saturday tv shows. In case anyones interseted I just bought H.R.Pufnstuf the complete series on dvd at Wal-mart for $19.99.