PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trip falling apart.

Puppy Mom
04-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I work for my BF in his business and his business may go under in a matter of weeks so we will both be out of a job.

We have a May 1-8 WDW trip booked. The airfare is non refundable and we are staying 5 of 7 nights for free with his parents' DVC points. The other two nights are booked at POR.

We have made several expensive ADRs but have not purchased park tickets yet. We are using Magical express, so no car available.

We are thinking that we will still take the trip but cancel the ADRs to eat cheaper in the resort cafes and buy groceries. We are also thinking of not buy any park tickets. (I know, HORRORS!)

If we do this, does anyone have suggestions of free or relatively inexpensive things we can do with our 7 days. Reading and swimming will only go so far.

faline
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry to hear about the business. Hope you get back on your feet soon!

You can spend some time window shopping at Downtown Disney.

Take monorails and boats to the various resorts and check each of them out.

Go over to Boardwalk - take the walk from there to Disney Studios and back.

Head over to Fort Wilderness. Take up residence on the rockers on the porch and watch the World go by for a little bit.

SBETigg
04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm really sorry about your change in plans. I hope you can go and have a good time, anyway. But you might also check into rescheduling. Most airlines will let you change your dates, maybe with a small fee. Best wishes.

BugeyedMuggy
04-02-2011, 04:37 PM
If you plan your days right by getting park passes on later park opening you can do resort hopping on the early park closing nites. The AKL has a wildlife checklist that between the lodge and the villas can take up hours. There is also alot of activities throughout the day and early evening you can participate in even if you are not a resort guest. The monorail resorts are also alot of fun to explore. The Boardwalk area is also alot of fun. You can have alot of fun without spending alot of money with the free activities at the resorts.

Madame Leona
04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I would head to Downtown Disney and Boardwalk. Play miniature golf. Resort hop (one of my favorite things to do). If you do resort hop, check out the menus in advance at the quick service places. That way you get to eat something you wouldn't have at your resort and you feel like you are going out to eat.
I'm sorry about your situation but it sounds like you are making a wise decision to not buy tickets. :pixie: Hope everything works out for you!

Daisy'sMom
04-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I am so sorry that you might have to change your plans. My extended family is rethinking their trip in October and if no deals are offered, have decided to cancel.
You could always spend a day traveling from resort to resort looking at the different themes. Cancel your ADRs, and buy at least a one day ticket. The money you would spend for these meals will buy a one day ticket for each of you. Remember, you will be at Disney and somle of the Disney magic will greet you.:mickey:

iwannagotodisneyworld
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Best wishes on the business. If you need more things on a shoestring, here's my faves:

- walk from the TTC over to the Polynesian and stroll the grounds, there's little salamanders all around and they're fun to watch. You can then walk to/past the beach, Wedding Pavillion and on to the GF Spa and then the GF itself.

- ride the boat from POR to Downtown Disney.

- check out the campgrounds (maybe a horseback ride isn't too much $$) and then ride the boat to MK and do a monorail tour.

- a ticket for a day at a waterpark is under $50 per adult. If it's warm enough - that's a sure way to enjoy a day for not too much.

Best Wishes and Pixie Dust!!

BowTie7
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Also checkout Orlando's rapid transit buses, LYNX. They would be an inexpensive way to get off property for a day. Walking around International drive or downtown might fun. With a transfer you could probably get to one of Orlando's parks. I believe the buses pickup at the transportation and ticket center and at Downtown Disney Westside (though this may vary with different routes).

Momto3littlemice
04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Maybe things will turn around... but if they don't -- keep in mind that you can do all the things we all want to do and never have time for while we are rushing to the parks! I agree with resort hopping, sit by the pool, go to downtown disney during off hours. How about take a bus to Downtown Disney and then take the boat down the Sassagoula River to POFQ for an inexpensive lunch at Floatworks? You could walk back to POR (lovely walk) and then ferry back to DD.

The parks are awesome (of course) but it is all these little amazing things that keep us all coming back! Have a wonderful trip! (still better than being home!):mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2011, 07:04 PM
If you can swing it buying a one day park ticket and adding the water parks and more option gets you 2 admissions to the water parks or Disney Quest. You could do one day at your favorite park, and one day at each of the water parks. Its not a cheap ticket, but it can give you three full days of fun.

We've been to Wide World of Sports when no events were going on. We were allowed in for free, and a CM actually took the time to give us a tour of the grounds.

A few not too expensive things that my family thought were fun were renting the two seater sea raycers (around $30 for a 30 minute boat rental) or rent a surry bike and take a spin around one of the resorts.

For a nice dinner one night you could order something at a QS location and get it to go and eat it on the beach while watching the fireworks from either Wishes or Illuminatons. This could be done at the Polynesian or any of the Epcot resorts.

As other's have said a night at the Boardwalk would be fun. We were there last month and were able to see 3 "street performances" within a few hours.

I know its hard to stay away from the parks, but my family has had some of our best memories, or days, on days we didn't step foot in a park. Good luck to both of you and I hope you can still enjoy this trip!

DizneyRox
04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
We've been spending less and less time at the parks and more time at the resorts. Nothing wrong with that...

AKL has a ton of activities going on all over the grounds, many are geared towards kids, but you could easily spend a day or two just sitting around the open areas animal viewing and enjoying the scenery.

Other resorts have similar stuff going on.

You can watch the MK foreworks from the Grand Floridian Marina one night, or the beach at the poly. Epcot is a little tough since a lot of the show in on the laggon, but still strolling around the Epcot resorts is nice.

Might be worth looking into cancelling the POR nights and use that money for tickets.

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Might be worth looking into cancelling the POR nights and use that money for tickets.

That's what I was coming back to suggest! Those nights could definitely pay for some sort of tickets.

PlutoToo
04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I know Fort Wilderness, Contemporary, and GF show a Disney movie each night. The Fort also has a campfire sing-a-long before the movie. Ride the boat from DTD to PO resort. The Fort offers wagon rides at night for $8 a person. Watch the night Electric Water Parade from the GF, Poly, Fort, or Contemp.

mom2morgan
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your money problems- we're kind of there ourselves. You've got some great advice above - just wanted to say that you have such a positive attitude that I hope / think you'll bounce back quickly and land on your feet really soon! Make the absolute most of whatever your vacation does end up looking like :cloud9:

jonahbear2006
04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
We've been spending less and less time at the parks and more time at the resorts. Nothing wrong with that...

AKL has a ton of activities going on all over the grounds, many are geared towards kids, but you could easily spend a day or two just sitting around the open areas animal viewing and enjoying the scenery.

Other resorts have similar stuff going on.

You can watch the MK foreworks from the Grand Floridian Marina one night, or the beach at the poly. Epcot is a little tough since a lot of the show in on the laggon, but still strolling around the Epcot resorts is nice.

this is us. not having park tickets wouldnt hurt our feelings any. you may just find you really enjoy sitting by the side of the pool. go to gasparilla grill and have a pizza while fireworks are going off. this is one of our fav things to do and you can hear wishes piped into the area. pizzas are about $16.99 and really very good. We have decided to buy annual water park tickets in october and we will then have water for next year but wont be buying reg. tickets next year and instead will see the harry potter park and do water parks and spend the rest of the time resort hopping and eating and swimming. Once we started staying dvc it seems its really not important to go to the parks with all the amenities you have in the resorts. enjoy the trip. it sounds like you may need some relaxing time off.

DizneyRox
04-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Sounds like DVC may start backfiring on Disney. The more DVC members start doing this and the more DVC rooms they put on property, the less ppp (profit per person) the parks are going to generate.

Doesn't bother me really, just saying... On paper, I think DVC looks great to he bean counters, but I will guarantee that because we know we have future trips on the horizon, the urgency to do things has lessened. My wallet isn't putting up much of a stink either.

mouseketeer mom
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
How about the campfires at Fort wilderness and the movies on the beach at the Grand Flo?
If not going to the parks is going to feel bad to you, it might not be fun to be there. Perhaps reschedling might be wise. The airlines may charge a fee, but you have usually within a year to use the ticket.

Disneyfun
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
While my heart goes out to you and you BF as you go through this (I'm in the same boat myself - except for the WDW trip part), I am loving this challenge!

To address tickets - have your BF talk to his parents about DVC discounted tickets. The info that I was able to find was that DVC members get a $100 discount off of Annual passes ($499 down to $399). This will not save you money as compared to a 7 day park hopper ($301), but you could get a lot more use out of it on your next trip if it is within a year. DVC members may get other discounts, but I am not aware of them - point being, have him check with his parents on what they could do!

Activities without theme park admissions - there is tons of stuff to do to occupy your time and experience all of the magic of WDW! If you have a rental car, you could even explore more of Central Florida!

In the World Options

Explore Your Home Resort
Purchase (before your trip) a Hidden Mickey book by Steve Barrett and use the Resort sections to explore each resort looking for Hidden Mickey's
Watch the nightly Water Pagent Parade at the Magic Kingdom Resorts (Poly, GF, Contemproary, WL, & FW)
Explore all of the Resorts - enquire at each resort if they have a guided or self guided tour that is offered. I believe that WL has one, but am not sure if the others do.
Watch the nightly acts at the Boardwalk - magicians, jugglers, etc.
Watch Wishes from the beach of the Poly or GF
Enjoy a Dole Whip from Captain Cooks at the Poly!
Take the nature trail from WL to FW and then enjoy the petting zoo at FW
Head over to the beaches at the Yacht & Beach Clubs and join in the free movie nights
Head over and watch the opening ceremonies for the MK (I know, tempting)
[terms of service]
Leisurely explore Downtown Disney - hit Mickey Mart where everything is under $10, check the show times at House of Blues, see all of the other stores that we miss while in World of Disney.
Take the boat ride from DTD to POR and enjoy the scenery of the treehouse villas!
Mini golf
Watch your favorite sports team play over at the ESPN Zone at the Boardwalk.

Outside the World Options

Head up to Blue Springs in Orange City where manatees often visit - http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/
Head over to CityWalk at Universal Studios and explore and then resort hop there!
Drive over to Daytona to enjoy the beach! Then drive over to Cape Canaveral and enjoy the free exhibits that they have.
Catch a Tampa Rays baseball game if they are playing in Tampa!
There used to be a little mom & pop canoe rental place on the right hand side of 192 driving east into Kissimmee. While hot, it was cheap and gives you a non tourristy view of FL.
Head over to Church Street Station (haven't been in years so cannot vouch for current conditions) or International Drive in downtown Orlando.
Tour through Celebration in Kissimmee - it's like stepping into an episode of Leave it to Beaver! Absolutely stunning, charming, and fun!

Hope this helps! Good luck with the buisness!

DizneyRox
04-03-2011, 01:17 PM
To address tickets - have your BF talk to his parents about DVC discounted tickets. The info that I was able to find was that DVC members get a $100 discount off of Annual passes ($499 down to $399). This will not save you money as compared to a 7 day park hopper ($301), but you could get a lot more use out of it on your next trip if it is within a year. DVC members may get other discounts, but I am not aware of them - point being, have him check with his parents on what they could do!

DVC discounted tickets are only good for the actual owners and immediate family (children and parents) living in the same household. In this case, BF could possibly be the only one to benefit from the DVC discounted tickets. They check at activation for validity and will either not activate them or charge the $100 to the person attempting to use the ticket.

More often than not, tickets are the deal breaker for me on trips. If I have an AP, I would be more likely to go than if I need to buy tickets, but lately, even that doesn't matter. My current AP is good through end of this year sometime and I haven't an inkling to see what's doing down there.

Gregandmel
04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow - these are awesome suggestions......some (many) of which my family may do our next trip!!

BrerGnat
04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Sorry about your job situation. Hope things get better on that front.

I'd still take the trip. Might be just what you need.

Resort hopping is a fun activity. The Wilderness Lodge offers a tour daily. It's informative and fun!

Renting boats at the marinas, or bikes on the Boardwalk (or at POR) are fun activities! Take a leisurely trip down the river to Downtown Disney from POR.

There is tons of stuff to do on property without going to the parks. Go explore! All the resorts are unique and offer something different.