PDA

View Full Version : Saint John/Thomas Sightseeing & Port Excursions

DisneyPrincess21
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Any suggestions on things you have done while at port in Saint John and Saint Thomas?

Is it a safe enough island that my family can feel safe renting a car and driving ourselves around the island and going out on our own, or is it better to stick with one of the DCL port excursions?

Zippy 1
03-31-2011, 08:04 PM
St. Thomas can be a little hairy to drive around if you are unfamiliar with the roads. Not to mention that they drive on the other side of the road. St John's is easy to travel by shuttle or taxi. We wandered the town and then went to several of the beaches. The snorkling at St. John's is wonderful. On St. Thomas we did a swimming with the sea lions. The park was nice and our time with the sea lions was great. They took lots of pictures of us with the sea lions and put them on cd. We also shopped a little. Most of our time was spent on the beach. Although we did do a little jewelry shopping. Got a beautiful sapphire bracelet and a tanzinte ring for a steal from a top line jeweler. Have a great time! I can't wait to go back there!!!!!!!!:mickey:

Figment!
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
St. Thomas can be a little hairy to drive around if you are unfamiliar with the roads. Not to mention that they drive on the other side of the road. :ditto:

I Concur. I'd stick to DCL excursions primarily for the ease in transportation.

Ed
03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
We love St. Thomas, but are scared out of our wits by the drivers! :eek: Personally, I wouldn't even consider renting a car there.

It's ironic that this topic came up when it did; I just did some research earlier today to find out if one of our favorite spots on St. Thomas which had been totally destroyed by a fire in 2009 had been rebuilt. And sure enough, the new facility opened just a month or so ago! That would be "Mountaintop", the home of the "world famous banana daiquiri" and offers one of the most beautiful views you can imagine.

Another favorite is the Saint Peter Greathouse Botanical Gardens - again, breathtaking scenery.

We visited both on a tour booked through DCL.

Shopping is also great in St. Thomas, especially if you have a yearning for high quality jewelry at decent prices.

John
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
We honeymooned at Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas in 1991. BEST. VACATION. EVER.

Loved driving in an jeep around St. John's - 3/4 of the island is a national park and it was driving from one eye popping beach to next. We had a ball. Don't know if they still do that, but if they do, I'd recommend it.

Planning on heading back there this fall... and really looking forward to it.

I do remember St. Thomas driving being crazy and ED, I remember the place you mentioned as well. Good times!