PDA

View Full Version : Saint Maarten/Martin Sightseeing & Port Excursions

DisneyPrincess21
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Any suggestions on things you have done while at port in Saint Maarten and Saint Martin?

Is it a safe enough island that my family can feel safe renting a car and driving ourselves around the island and going out on our own, or is it better to stick with one of the DCL port excursions?

AllDisney
03-31-2011, 06:57 PM
My husband & I did the excursion to Orient Beach through the DCL . The beach was amazing. The sand is soft & doesn't get burning hot & the water was beautiful shades of blue - just like you'd see on a postcard only you are there in person:cloud9:

jnfr2424
04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I agree Orient Beach is just amazing - we ended up staying a week in St. Maarten.
Also when in Phillipsburg, a great place for inexpensive souvenirs is Rima its around the corner from Front St. just ask a taxi to take you to Rima you will not be sorry!

This the the only Caribbean island I would rent a car because they drive on the same side as Americans and they are friendly drivers!
We had issues with directions as they are not enough signage around the island. We had to stop and ask for directions and we even had locals drive us over to the French side

wildernesslady
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
We booked Bernards Tours not through the cruise line. We had time at Orient Beach as well as a tour of the island. He brought us to the beach where you can see the planes land and take off. It was amazing. Alot of fun.

Magic Smiles
04-10-2011, 05:53 AM
We did a 3 hour tour while in St Maarten with a tour company booked through Shoretrips and saw lots of the island along with some shopping on both the French and the Dutch sides. We also stopped at Orient Beach for approx 15 minutes. Personally this was more than enough for our group. Orient Beach is European style bathing / Nude Beach. At least it was in the section where we were dropped off.