PDA

View Full Version : What would you do - Travel with big family and 1 year old

AmandaChan
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
So we are going in June (when it will be really busy and hot) to CBR. 'We' consists of mother in law, DH, myself, our 14 month old, brother in law and fiance, their two kids 4 years old and 10 years old. We decided to spend a little extra money and stay in CBR. I think one of the main factors in this decision was that transportation might be a little easier with a big crowd in Disney - standing under a bus stop as opposed to standing in a hot line at a value in the sun.

I guess my MIL kind of wanted a little 'nicer' hotel since it was our BIG family vacation and she is totally into the tropical themes. But I don't really foreseeing us spending an enormous time at the hotel considering this is everyone's first trip except mine and my husband's.

I guess my question is this: should we just get a rental car to fit all of us (with baby seat, extra price -- or could I just bring one onto the plane??) and stay at a value instead?

summed up - would you rather stay at a moderate, depend on disney transport

or

would you rather stay at a value and get a rental (with large family) and NOT depend on disney transport especially for a family where everyone is there for the first time? I'm really starting to consider proposing this to my MIL.

I think everyone wants the full disney experience aka getting picked up and taken everywhere. now this was great and all when it was just DH and I but with a baby and a large family I can only imagine that it might stress us out a little bit more??? what have you done in the past?? please provide me with your ideas!

PrettyMinnie
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm sure everyone will have different opinions, but if I were you, and had the funds, I would get a rental car. It will cut down on travel time by a lot and will ensure that you aren't waiting in the heat with a large crowd and a baby. I have personally not brought a car seat on the plane with me, but I know people who have. This may have changed though.

buzznwoodysmom
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I personally don't think one rental car that fits everyone would be the best solution. Being that you are traveling with a baby might mean you and/or DH having to go back to the room for the baby to nap, or just take a break, get out the sun/heat, while the rest of the party stays in the park. Sure they could take a bus back if you guys take the rental in the middle of the day, but would they be thrilled about chipping in for a rental then it not being available for them to use in the event you left early with baby? Maybe you should get a rental for your family and let the rest depend on Disney transportation.

Either way I totally think upgrading from value to moderate is worth the extra cost. Even though you imagine the group wants to spend every waking moment in the parks, the summer heat can be brutal and there may be times everyone wants/needs a break back at the resort. Hanging out at the pool at CBR is a wonderful break from the parks. With the ages of the kids you mentioned I think CBR is a great resort, and the kids are sure to love the main pool.

Good luck and have fun planning!

AmandaChan
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I was doing some research and the only vans I can find are 7 passengers, and we need 8. The next biggest size is 15 passengers and we definitely do not need that.

I'm just really nervous about waiting for a bus period with a baby/stroller + large family. It's definitely something different for us.

And we all definitely plan on taking mid-day breaks (dh, ds and I especially) but in that event we would have no problem just taking the bus back to the hotel and maybe taking the bus back.
Thus leaving the car for them.

and I was thinking about it because the rest of the family is going to get a rental anyways for one day in the middle of the trip to go to the beach (we're staying behind).

Still thinking about it though...

Jfamily
03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
I have taken my little ones when they were 1 and we rented a van. We needed an 8 person van also cause we had family coming. My mom was the one who wanted the van cause the little ones. You can call the rental places and see if there companies have them. They just don't advertise them sometimes. CBR is a great resort!!!

megustamex
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
What if you just got the rental for the baby or you all got 2 cars? That could be way cheaper than one big van. You might be on a totally different schedule than everyone else with the baby anyway.
Personally, I would never go to Disney without a rental car for the kids. I can't even imagine waiting for a bus, taking the baby out of the stroller and folding the stroller, hoping I have a seat and not having to hold the baby on the bus....The wonderful thing about the car is that when your kid has a meltdown, you are out of there fast. (Except at MK where you have to take the monorail or the ferry to the car). We can get out everywhere else in minutes, and it is such a relief when the kids are tired. You control your own destiny. And the kids love being in their own car seat after being in the park. They usually fall asleep in the car. We always walk to the car (no tram) so we don't have to fold up the stroller.

By the way, we love the values with kids. They especially love the fun pools. We have visited or stayed in ALL the resorts on property and I just don't see the big difference in room space between the moderates/values. But I do think you need a car for the values. Walking to the front of the resort to the bus every time could become tedious. Parking, on the other hand, is a breeze. It's right outside each building.

magicalmom
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
If you bring a car seat on the plane, you can check it through as baggage, or if your car seat is also your stroller, you can keep the baby in it until time to board, and then they'll gate check it for you, and give it back when you land, before you go down to the baggage carousels.

One thought about the rental car - you have to weigh the time walking through parking lots or waiting for trams against the time you'd spend waiting for buses. Especially at MK, I feel like the buses get me there more quickly. (Maybe that's because we just never to get there early in the mornings, so we end up parking waaaaaaaay out.:mickey:)

spinnerf
04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I have to agree with everyone and you said it yourself, your not going to be in the resort for long. The value rooms are great and plenty big enough. I would without question rent the car. Just got back myself and we have a one year old. When you bring your own car seat on the plane you check it at the gate and it does not count as luggage and there is no charge. The rental fee far a car seat is crazy. Its probably cheaper have a new cheap seat shipped to the resort than pay the rental company the daily fee to rent one. And who knows what nasty, diseased, vomitting child sat in that seat before yours.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Waiting for a bus with a large group, complete with strollers can be either as big an issue or as little of one as your group chooses to make it.
Last August we were part of a group of 12, including kids that were 5, 3 and 18 months.
It wasn not a hassle dealing with the bus, because we didn't let it become one.

We were there to have fun, necessary things like standing in lines (for anything) were not going to ruin it for us.

It was one of our favorite trips (we have been to WDW over 30 times) ever.

Dedivah
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
We went in a large group (14) in July of 2006 we stayed at POP. We had three little ones 1, 2 and 4 years old that traveled with us. We had a single stroller and a double stroller and we never had a problem riding the bus.

wdwfansince75
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
For us, 8 is a small group. Most of our trips have been with kids, spouses, and grandkids...While we usually stay at SoG, we have also stayed at the cabins at FW, CR, and POR, back when it was Dixie Landings. On most trips, we have had at least one infant or toddler, and on one trip, we had 6 grandchildren and one friend under the age of 11. The buses have never been a major problem. Yes, we had to wait for the next bus on several occasions, and yes, we had to stand, holding one of the grandkids, from time to time. Once, we were on a bus that broke down, and we had to wait by the side of the road for a replacement....But the transportation system (even at SoG) never ruined our vacation. In June, our usual time to go, we have never had to wait more than a half hour (and don't really remember an occasion that we had to wait that long...).
It is a rare trip that we are always together as a single group, except for meals....and we do not always go to the parks as a single group...we have multiple rendezvous spots at each park.

On some trips, we parked the car/truck/van/motor home (we have made at least one trip with all of the above, or mixes of the various vehicles), and never moved our ride until we were ready to leave...on some trips, one or more of the family has made trips off site, for groceries, clothing (or comfortable shoes), medicine, or even for adult beverage.

I would never consider renting a vehicle just to avoid the buses. And in the heat of summer,I can't believe that waiting for a bus back to the resort would be more uncomfortable than piling into a car which has been baking in the sun.

The family members with younger children (we have made trips with 4 month old infants twice, and a 6 month old once) have rarely stayed to closing, and the evening buses/boats/trams are almost never crowded... admittedly, Grandma (DW) usually volunteers to go back early, with the infant (or tired younger ones) and mom and/or dad, while Grandpa (me) usually volunteers to remain at the park with the siblings or cousins, if the parents of the infant feel duty bound to take the infants back to the resort with grandma.

We usually do at least one character meal as a group....special memories, such as Christmas Dinner at Hollywood and Vine, with DW and I, and all four DK's, spouses, and all six (now seven, and soon to be eight) grandkids)....or an incredible breakfast at 1900 Park Faire...or a wonderful dinner at Garden Grill...or several first nights at Chef Mickey's....or breakfasts at the character meals at AK...Try to do at least one character meal....the breakfasts at Tusker House or Crystal Palace are wonderful ways to start the day...or get a mid-morning break on EMH morning days...our personal pattern. I head to the park with as many grandkids (and parents) as I can round up to be there for EMH opening, with all the stragglers rendezvousing for a late seating.

nfrustaci
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
ok here is my thoughts.............. large family and in the middle of the summer with varried ages of children, GET THE CAR !!!! also we are big fans of POP and for children it is a fun resort. we have never stayed moderate but have stayed at the villas and while they are nice, not a whole lot of in your face disney. so if you are looking for quiet after the parks then go moderate if you want the whole disney in your face 24/7 then stay value. the POP has been refurbed and can hold 4 to a room and 5 if you have 1 child in a crib. the beds are brand new, new carpet, paint, privacy curtain to sink area, flat screen tv, smaller drawer space for clothing so plan on living somewhat out of your suitcase. i would not recommend the asmu, i was there several years ago and it needed updating then. but they do have family suites, 2 bathrooms and 2 rooms. last year our son who was 2 at the time needed to leave the park in the afternoon for a nap. too much going on for him to sleep, so keep that in mind. didn't do well with dining reservations in the evening, to structured for a small kid. this year we have opted for fast service only. something to consider and be prepared for.