PDA

View Full Version : Food and Wine?

arm00leg
03-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Has anyone attended the Food and Wine event at Epcot? This sounds like it could be fun but would like to hear from someone who has actually been. Thanks!

Melanie
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
It's my favorite time of year at Epcot! :wine:

What is it specifically you'd like to know?

faline
03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
You might also find this information (http://intercot.com/infocentral/park/foodwine.asp)helpful.

BugeyedMuggy
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
The F&WF is our favorite time to go to Disney. We don't even make dining ressies. You can sample many different foods from various countries. The beer and wine are good also. You get small samplings for a few dollars. They also have musical entertainment on the weekends. The culinary events are alot of fun also. Hope this helps from someone who has been there many times and has not gotten tired of it.

MissTink
03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
If you are going to be on the dining plan, a lot of the offerings count as snack credits :eat:

KarenP
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I have been there and I absolutely loved it. It was so much fun sampling offerings from the various countries. It is a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone!

Scar
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
My favorite time to go. Been there 5 or 6 times (lost count.)

The last two times (6 days and 3 days,) I literally ate 80-90% of my meals there.

Dedivah
03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
So Cool! This October will be my first time as well. I am so excited! :joy:

DisneyDINK
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Went a couple of years ago. It is more crowded @ Epcot, but fun.

Warnings: Dining plan + F&W = way too much food! Also, F&W makes drinking around the world a bit more of a challenge.

titleistboy
03-31-2011, 07:45 PM
You really have to do it...just pace yourselves...

arm00leg
03-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok, glad to hear people enjoy this event. Is there a good variety of different types of food, beer, and wine? Good point about the dining plan. How's the weather then? All our previous trips were in December and last in January (good weather but bad crowds with the tourists from Brazil). How expensive are the beverages?:marg::beer::wine:

jnfr2424
04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Each kiosk has at least 4 or more offerings
Keep in mind its tapas serving but because there are so many different countries (I think last year there was about 25+ represented) and if you sample at least one thing from each one -you will not be hungry!

Our game plan was to each get something different from each country and share - The only one we could not decide on one thing each was China - we got everything off the menu!!

Get ready to sample everything from lamb sliders from New Zealand to Irish Bailey Ganauche Chocolate cake from Ireland!

The average price of each item ranged from $3-$9

Some of the best drinks I tried were:
Puerto Rico - Torched Cherry Colada- $7.50
South Korea - Black Raspberry Rice Wine - $3.50
Desserts & Champagne - Moet Champagne - $3.50
Brewer's Collection - try 3 different beers for $7.75
Morrocco - Tangerine Mimosa - $6.00
Paris - Cosmo Slush - $8.50

Best tips I can pass along are:
1. Stop at the welcome center in Future World (located at the Wonders of Life Pavillion) and get a free passport - that way you can journal about all the stuff you tried and they also have special stamps at each kiosk.
2. Get a mini refillable gift card if you are not using snack or quick meal points. Its a wristlet that you can wear and its easy to pay.
3. Take your time and enjoy!

As far as the weather and people - we went Columbus day weekend and it was crowded as vacationers and locals came out for the event.
The weather was perfect Sunny and hot and it took us 2 days to visit each and every kiosk.
We did not do any seminars but we are looking forward to trying some this year!
Enjoy!

tinksmom02
04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
2. Get a mini refillable gift card if you are not using snack or quick meal points. Its a wristlet that you can wear and its easy to pay.

Can someone provide more information on this mini gift card thing? Is it only good at F&W? Where do you purchase? thanks.

iwannagotodisneyworld
04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Is there a good variety of different types of food, beer, and wine?

This is EXACTLY what makes F&W so awesome!! You will NOT be at a loss for what to try or feel like there's nothing you want! Be prepared for a smorgasboard (sp?)!! :thumbsup:

jnfr2424
04-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Can someone provide more information on this mini gift card thing? Is it only good at F&W? Where do you purchase? thanks.

You can buy it anywhere in Epcot and its good everywhere in Disney including your local Disney store because it is a gift card. The only difference is it has a wristlet

ktflisa
04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
We have been several times during F&W - but it has been 4 years since our last trip and 6 since F&W ---- next up, Oct 2011! yay!
Anyway, it is awesome. In the early days it was cool because each kiosk handed out recipe cards with the food samples. (Disney got smart and now sells a cookbook) It also allowed us to try foods we may not try otherwise, and sample wines. I intend to get the wristlet gift card. I imagine it makes the lines move a little faster if more people will use them.

It can get really crowded on the weekends, but I remember that if we got there right at 11 or whenever the world showcase opens, it didn't get really really crowded for a couple of hours.

Weather? Well, it is hurricane season in Florida! We've been there when it's cold, storming, hot, humid, not humid (okay this is rare) ... you just never know.

and another reason to go during F&W? Halloween party at Magic Kingdom! Don't miss it!

woot. 183 more days.

DisneyFr33k
04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
It's my favorite time of year at Epcot! :wine:

If you are going to be on the dining plan, a lot of the offerings count as snack credits :eat:

Agreed! We've only gone this time of year. The weather can be beautiful if you are there after a cool front moves in (this just means lower humidity - it is still warm).

If you can, plan to go on a week night. The weekends can be very crowded due to locals enjoying the festival too.

Enjoy! :marg: :beer: :wine:

jcvalenti
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I've been there a couple times and had a blast. Going back this year for my 40th birthday in mid October.

It definitely does get crowded on the weekends, so it's not a bad idea to plan some dinners outside of Epcot or a night at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party to get away from the crowds. I was kind of shocked on my first trip to find that Epcot (or at least the World Showcase) was more crowded during F&W than it was during peak season in June or July.

That being said, the crowds are usually more adult, and usually much more fun and relaxed. The various kiosks get more diverse and more interesting each year, and so do the various "premium" events like cooking demonstrations and wine tastings.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable experience, and I highly recommend it.

tinkergal
05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
DH & I just happened upon F&W in '04 w/o any knowledge or preparation. It was wonderful! But since we usually travel during Free Dining, which generally precedes F&W, we've never made it back. But this year, we decided to return during F&W so, I'm sharing all of your excitement, too! :thumbsup: