PDA

View Full Version : The Reed Family's visit to th World 2-5 to 3-3-2011

cardbar
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
The Reed Family’s 2011 Visit to the World 2-5 to 3-3 :mickey:

Friday February 25: We left cold Western Schuylkill County Pennsylvania at 3:00pm for Walt Disney World. Over our last three trips we were averaging around a 14 ½ hour car ride only stopping twice for gas and a quick bite for supper. :D DW and I find that the traffic is more manageable driving straight through and it is also easier with the kids (DD 11 and DS 5) sleeping for most of the trip. Things were going smoothly until we got off of I-270 and merged onto I-95 near the MD/VA line as our 70mph pace was quickly slowed to 20mph and bumper to bumper traffic. :mad: The traffic delay cost us about 90 minutes more than normal and after it cleared we stopped at Chick-fil-a in Ashland, VA. We filled up with gas ($3.19) in Kenny, NC. and then again at Kings Island, GA. ($3.15). We encountered no further traffic problems and we pulled into the Wilderness Lodge just after 7am Saturday February 26. By doing the online check in earlier in the week and being early before most check ins arrive we were able to check in and begin unpacking our bags in our room within 10 minutes; :thumbsup: also very exciting was that we were finally (after 4 tries) able to be the flag family of the lodge March 2nd :cap:. I had faxed a request to the Wilderness Lodge the Wednesday before our departure for our favorite bear faced room on the 4th or 5th floor overlooking the lake, geyser, and pool area and the room entrance overlooking the NE corner of the lobby. We were granted our request and this time we did not have to wait for housekeeping to move into our home away from home. Though DW and I were very tired from our long drive after freshening up and unpacking we headed down to the boat dock for a trip to the Magic Kingdom. We arrived at MK soon after the 8am park opening, the sun was shining brightly and it was in the mid 70’s already! Passing under the railroad archways and looking up Main Street toward the castle is always amazing and a great start to our vacation. Lots of construction was going on in the MK with Tony’s, the Kodak Building, and the Candy store all having fancy painted canvases covering each building to hide construction. While it is very noticeable, the artfully painted canvases certainly helped give you a feel of what you normally would be able to see. The back of the castle facing toward Dumbo is also under construction and canvased and the bridge leading to Adventure Land is being repaired only allowing a small walkway through it, and don’t forget Toontown is closed and all of the construction going on behind the scenes in Fantasy Land. We headed to Tomorrow Land first getting on Buzz Lightyear and Astro Orbiter before doing the parent swap on Space Mountain. We skipped Stich’s ride because it is our least favorite of all the parks. While DW and DD were on Space Mt., I took DS to meet Mickey and Minnie in their new greeting spot beside Space Mt. The line was very short and within 10 minutes we were meeting up with DW and DD. We planned to go on Indy 500 next but it was posting a 70 minute wait and over flowing lines so instead we decided to hit Starlight Café to cash in our first free dining points and curb our hunger from our long drive. I got the barbeque sandwich and the others got cheese burgers and fries with chocolate cake. Everything was very good and filling but even though we were having an early lunch the café was certainly filling up fast. Our next stop was to meet the White Rabbit and ride the Tea Cups which seem to get faster every year! With the temperature still climbing quickly and Fantasy Land seemingly mobbed we decided to head back to the Wilderness Lodge for a swimming break. (Walt Disney World set a record high of 93 degrees for Feb. 26 & 27) The pool was crowded but not packed and it certainly felt great swimming and playing on the water slide compared to the cold temperatures in PA. the day before. DS and DD always enjoy the WL pool slide and also swimming after the floating ducks but our last few stays were the week after Thanksgiving when the pool was fairly quiet and the ducks numbered the same as the swimming but today they were taking quick dips in the pool and retreating to the shrubbery with the pool so full. Around 3pm we changed out of our suits and took the boat over to the Contemporary and rode the monorail around to the MK entrance. We always enjoy taking the boat from the WL whenever possible and like the monorail we think of the boats as an attraction as well. Arriving at MK we quickly found seats along Main Street before the Dream Parade started. The parade was great and DD and DS had great interactions with the strolling characters during the parade and I am glad we decided to sit on the shady side of the street because it was starting to get humid. After the parade we headed to Adventure Land and Pirates of the Caribbean with only a 15 minute wait time. Next we used snack credits for 3 Dole Whip Pineapple Floats and they were very tasty and perfect for the hot afternoon. The Tiki Room was still closed from the January fire and the Jungle Cruise was a 70 minute wait so we did the Magic Carpets. The queue line fans were not working but the partial shade from the canopies helped some. Next we enjoyed the Jack Sparrow Pirates Show, the actors were very good and had some funny jokes throughout the show for young and old alike. The sun was starting to set and it was soon time for the Electric Parade so we watched the parade from the train station veranda, which was a great point of view. The Electric Parade was fantastic and very colorful with floats featuring Mickey and Minnie, Alice, the Cheshire Cat, Captain Hook’s ship, Pete’s Dragon, and a long flowing American Flag. After the parade we boarded a boat to Fort Wilderness for our table service at Trail’s End Buffet. The food was good but often times hard to get. The food selections were not labeled and every time I went for food I had to wait for not one but several dishes to be replaced which made the meal seem to take a lot longer than it should have. This was by far the worst table service meal we have ever experienced at Disney and we wont be returning here until improvements are noted by others. We then took the boat back to the WL and filled our mugs with hot cocoa before calling it a night.

Day 2 Sunday February 27: This morning we had table reservations for Whispering Canyons at the WL for 8am. We were in a hurry to get to the Studios so we avoided the ketchup and straw games. The all you can eat skillets were great and everyone enjoyed their breakfast favorites, (Mickey waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, biscuits) the service and food were top notch and we were soon boarding the bus for the Studios. Bus transportation was a disaster this morning due to the Marathon taking place across main of the major Disney routes. We had a 30 minute bus wait followed by a 40 minute bus drive to the Studios. We finally reached the Studios around 10am and headed for Toy Story Mania, an hour later than we had hoped. DW grabbed FP for later in the day and we got in line for TSM with a posted 60 minute wait but was only 35 minutes. DD and DS loved the ride from the queue line all the way to the end of the ride, it would be great to go on it several times in a row but the rides appeal and popularity just doesn’t make it possible. Next we did the Muppet Vision and had a blast, even when you know the jokes it is still funny, and then the Great Movie Ride, which seems to be needing so kind of upgrade or changes. I thought the musical girls in white would be spinning and dancing again but they still haven’t been fixed. The American Idol was fun but the singers were only fair and they were still looking for singers to audition for later shows. We had about 45 minutes before the start of the new Pixar Parade so we found a bench in the shade only Hollywood Blvd. DW saved our seats while I took the kids to Animations to meet Lotso, Sorcerer Mickey, and Mr. & Mrs. Incredible. We returned to the bench just in time to watch the street performers put a great entertaining show. We also had Mickey ice cream bars and popcorn to snack on while waiting. The new Pixar Parade was great and filled with all of your favorite Pixar characters either walking or on floats. After the parade we visited the Tower of Terror and did the parent swap right before boarding the elevator car. DW and DS were led by a CM to the ride photo area and waited for DD and I to exit and DW and DD then went back through a CM door to the elevator to take their ride. I really like how you never know how high or how often you are going to be shot up in the air as the computer always changes it. Next we did the Little Mermaid show and then used or Toy Story Mania FP before heading to Pizza Planet for dinner. The salads and pizzas were fine, certainly not the best ever but very good and we kept our cookies for snacking while waiting for Fantasmic. We arrived at Fantasmic just after 6pm and they were starting to let people in for the 7pm showing. The seating area was filled with May flies, I am not sure if this was a normal occurrence or caused by the 93 degree heat but it was annoying swatting at the flying bug clouds until the sun went down and the lights came on. Fantasmic is always great and the whole family loves it. We bought DS a light up Sorcerer Mickey and even today he still can’t wait for the dark to spin his light up Mickey. We went on Tower of Terror after the show and only had a 10 minute wait leaving DD and I just enough time to ride Rocking Roller Coaster before we left the park. We took the bus back to the WL and in 15 minutes were headed for our room and able to sit on our balcony and watch the Water Parade with a relaxing mug of hot cocoa.

faline
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
You certainly had lots of stamina to put in a full day after driving all night! What great luck - to get into your room right away and to get exactly what you requested!

Sorry for the long trip to Disney Studios - that's quite frustrating!

Still you had a very nice couple of days!

pdrlkr
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
03-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the report

mouseketeer mom
03-29-2011, 06:13 AM
WHEW!!! No taking it easy after that long drive for you guys!! Sounds like a well planned out trip too, you're certainly doing so much and we're only on Day 2!

cardbar
03-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for reading!:mickey:
This was our 4 trip in just over 4 years so we kind of have it down pat. Traffic is much smoother that late at night and the kids sleep through 3/4 of the ride. This was also the first time we were able to move into our room right away. Last December 2009 we freshened up in the WL bathrooms before heading out to the Studios and waiting until 1pm for a check in call!

slegrant
03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Great start to your trip, I can't wait to read the rest of your report. I love the Wilderness Lodge:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
We vacation in southern NC every summer from southeaster PA, and drive straight through the night almost as well. The kids sleep and there is almost never traffic! :thumbsup: It works for us, though I know some people think we are nuts!! LOL.

Sounds like a good start, I would have loved that warm weather after the winter we had!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the report

KylesMom
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
While the drive down was longer than anticipated, glad you made it safe & sound. What luck to get into your room straight away - I know what a great help that can be when you're anxious to hop into the park experience. Congrats on snagging that spot for Flag Family upon arrival!

What a wonderful couple of days between MK and DHS! :mickey:

magicman
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I have to respect that Disney drive and determination. Driving straight through then getting a full day is an amazing feat.

I'll be honest and confess that I don't know what the flag family is, but anything that is out-of-the-ordinary adds to the magic.

I've never done the Trail's End, and I appreciate your advice to steer clear.

I note a love for DHS on Day 2 that I truly share. To me, it has great rides and shows & the street performances add to its uniqueness. Also, Fantasmic and Wishes tie for the greatest night time show (in my book).

You are painting a great picture. Thanks for taking the time to submit such a great report. I look forward to reading your next segment.