PDA

View Full Version : Leaving on Friday...what would you do?

southerngirl
03-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone:

I need your help! We're leaving on Friday for our trip. We usually go the week before Christmas, but this year, because of the way that the holiday falls (Christmas is on a Sunday), and because my husband is a teacher and has work until the Thursday before Christmas, we realized we couldn't take our usual 5 days and decided to go in the spring. The problem is that the rooms are SO much more expensive now than they are in December. We stay in the deluxes in the MK area, because my son (2) loves the monorail and the MK, but even with an early spring discount and staying at the Wilderness Lodge, the rate MJ quoted us was about $1,800. So, we decided to switch to the Swan and got a $169/night teacher rate.

I was okay with that until last week, when it "hit" me that we were going to Disney and wouldn't really be staying at a Disney hotel. We've stayed at the Swan before for a couple of nights, and it's a nice hotel, but it just lacks the Disney theme elements. And, of course, it's not on the monorail. So, I started looking online at Disney.com and thought that maybe we could split our stay, with two nights at the Swan and three at a MK resort. The cheapest Deluxe I can find in the MK area is the WL for $1320 (with taxes). The Poly is $1549, and the Grand Flo is $1746. These are standard rooms, not club level, etc. My DH says it's "up to me" as to whether we do it. I'm just wondering if we should. Part of me says that it's insane to spend that kind of money on a hotel room, but part of me says it's Disney, and it's our "big" vacation this year, so we might as well live it up. What do you all think? What would you do?

By the way, doesn't it just seem "unfair" to you guys that Disney refuses to offer any last minute deals when they have plenty of rooms? We called and tried to see if they would deal with us, but they only offered us the rack rate, no discounts. It seems strange that they would refuse to budge, even when it means filling a room that would otherwise remain empty.

MrPeetrie
03-27-2011, 11:51 PM
By the way, doesn't it just seem "unfair" to you guys that Disney refuses to offer any last minute deals when they have plenty of rooms? We called and tried to see if they would deal with us, but they only offered us the rack rate, no discounts. It seems strange that they would refuse to budge, even when it means filling a room that would otherwise remain empty.

First, enjoy your vacation. I'm jealous. October can't come fast enough.

Regarding the "unfair" comment, they may not budge because they're not actually gaining a room; they're exchanging a room. Perhaps if you called with the intent of making a "NEW," last-minute reservation "only if the price is right," they might be more willing to offer a deal. The way it stands now, they're gaining a night in a true "Disney" resort, but losing revenue in a Disney-operated resort. That's just a thought.

mouseketeer mom
03-28-2011, 06:21 AM
I think I'm going to be in the minority with my answer here, but I would switch to a Disney MK resort after a night or two, (or for all) for your trip. I am all about the accomodations feeling special and very Disney while we are on the trips, and you sound like you feel the same. I would switch and do what makes you feel happy and excited, even if its part of the time. Have you tried the Garden wing, Garden view rooms at the CR? They are usually the least expensive, they are right on the water, and ON the monorail line!!

Strmchsr
03-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Well, actually, Disney is pretty packed right now. Crowds are well up so they have no incentive to offer a deal. On top of that, pricing is strictly controlled at the Disney parks. They don't "deal". For instance, Disney is on Priceline, but they don't participate in the "name your own price" program. I hope you're able to get it worked out, but I wouldn't expect them to offer any deals when they have no need to offer an incentive.

crazygoalie39
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
What about staying at a moderate like POFQ, POR, or CSR? I would much rather stay at one of those than the Swan and not have that Disney atmosphere. That's just my opinion. :mickey:

vicster
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
What about staying at a moderate like POFQ, POR, or CSR? I would much rather stay at one of those than the Swan and not have that Disney atmosphere. That's just my opinion. :mickey:

Ditto on that. We usually stay at WL but tried POFQ a couple of years ago. Loved that it was a small resort and loved the theming.

Aurora
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
If you have the money, and you would be unhappy not staying at a monorail resort, I would spend the money and do what you want. But if spending that much money would bother you more than staying at a monorail hotel, I'd stick with the Swan. Whatever you decide, it's important that you be happy with your decision so it doesn't affect your family's vacation.

By the way, with your son being so little, he might be as excited about taking the boats to Epcot and the Studios as he is about the monorail. Plus you'll still be visiting the Magic Kingdom and you'll be able to take a monorail ride if you want. So no real sacrifice there. And there are character meals at the Swan, plus you can walk over the bridge to the Boardwalk in the evening. All in all, you're still really getting a lot of the best of Disney, and for a great price!

JPL
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Not sure I would switch resorts. I mean think of all the other things you can do with the extra money. Instead of switching to the MK area resorts maybe you can spend more on souvenirs or dinners to make the trip extra special.

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't think I would switch resorts either. I know several people who stayed at the Swan recently and really liked it. For the money you save, it might be worth a try.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't split the stay...it would seem like such a hassle to do on a short stay...I would either stick with the Dolphin or change over to a moderate Disney resort for the entire stay which is what I would do because I love Disney resorts...You don't have monorail but I believe you can take a boat to a couple of the parks

Gregandmel
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I think everyone just needs to do what's right for them, their family and their finances. I'm all about staying at a Disney resort. Our first trip was at the WL and we LOVED it - thought NO WAY will we ever stay anywhere else. But budget constraints had us staying at POFQ last April and we fell in love with it! The cost would have to be virtually FREE for us to stay off-site - that's just part of the fun of our trip! But if it works for you guys and you can be happy with it - then go for it. I"ve heard good things about the Swan! But if you think it will take away from the entire vacation, then either stay where you want, or consider a moderate resort. Your son can still take the monorail around the resorts as a side-trip! :mickey: And other posters are correct about "dealing" - right now it's Spring Break season, so they probably don't feel like they "have" to make any deals. But best of luck to you whatever you decide! Wish I was leaving no Friday!!!! :thumbsup:

KatieDuck22
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I've done research on the costs on rooms often while trying to get the most for least. the contemporary garden wing rooms are as cheap as river side port orleans! I would look into that. youd get teh experience you want for the price you want.

southerngirl
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. The Contemporary is full (the only MK area resort that is). It has actually been full since early January when we started looking, so I think it must be a convention or something. Since the price will be the same now versus if we decide once we get there to a switch mid-trip, I think we'll probably just stay at the Swan and see how it goes.

Aurora
03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Just one more comment -- to those who are suggesting a moderate room as an alternative -- at this time of year even the moderates are more expensive than the teacher rate the OP got for the Swan. For example, the lowest rate for check-in on Friday at the CBR is around $215 a night, vs. $169 for the Swan.

mom2morgan
03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I think that's a good decision. I too like staying in a "Disney" resort and would never stay off property, but the Swan is kind of both. You may not be in a Disney Hotel but you're still on property and surrounded by Disney, and it's nice to be close to Epcot if you like to eat there a lot. And honestly, I'm going against my own personal feelings here, but the accomodations at the Swan are much more "deluxe" than in a Disney Moderate - and since you are used to staying Deluxe I suspect you wouldn't be happy in a mod (even though I love them)

javamama
03-30-2011, 09:12 PM
keep checking if that's what makes you happy to switch. I know we wouldn't be happy at the swan, but that's just our family we like to be close to MK or Epcot(this is our 1st time not staying on the monorail line in 4 years) So kwim, it's your vacation be happy. that's what matters most:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
03-31-2011, 12:33 AM
OK...here's an idea. I don't know if it would make good financial sense or not. You'll have to do the math:

Have you considered having one adult in your party buy an Annual Pass instead of just for the days you are going this year? Annual Pass holders are offered deep discounts at several Disney World Resorts. Check out the offers currently in play.

You're going to have to pay a certain amount for your tickets anyway. If the price differential between your regular tickets and an Annual Pass, it might be worth the room discount.

Consider.

mouseketeer mom
03-31-2011, 06:11 AM
OK...here's an idea. I don't know if it would make good financial sense or not. You'll have to do the math:

Have you considered having one adult in your party buy an Annual Pass instead of just for the days you are going this year? Annual Pass holders are offered deep discounts at several Disney World Resorts. Check out the offers currently in play.

You're going to have to pay a certain amount for your tickets anyway. If the price differential between your regular tickets and an Annual Pass, it might be worth the room discount.

Consider.

This is what we did for our upcoming Easter trip. As you said, tkts are a fortune anyway, and this way we got the room discount, plus we will be back again this year, maybe twice, so it worked out so much better!

cer
03-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Tomorrow is your big day! Have a great trip! :mickey: