PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a December 11th-17th stay at a Disney Resort

DisneyNut6777
03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello. A Christmas trip to the Happiest Place On Earth. Goosebumps, and Tickles all over. We are planning a trip to WDW December 11th thru the 17th. Are looking to hear some feedback from those of you who might have already visited around this timeframe before. Please, what are the Pros and Cons? Favorite Resort? Best decorated? Any particular shows, or events to take part in? Have they ever done the Dessert party with the fireworks during this time of year? Also, Pretty Please, seems like last year WDW released either a free dining package and possibly a room discount for this time period, anyone remember? Thanks, and for those going at this time frame, hope to see you there!!!!:mickey::mickey:

faline
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
We've gone during that time frame a few times. Typically, the crowds will begin to pick up as you are ready to leave and as you get closer to the actual holiday.

Weather can be quite variable so you can get lovely warm days or rather chilly days. Don't leave your winter coats and gloves at home but also be sure to bring along your swimsuits and shorts - you may need all of them - even on the same trip!

Wilderness Lodge is lovely during the holidays. You might enjoy that.

Information on holiday events here. (http://intercot.com/infocentral/holidays/christmas/default.asp)

Information on past discounts here. (http://intercot.com/infocentral/discounts/historicdiscounts.asp)

Bethis26fan
03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I've been the first week in Dec and we love it. It's so pretty with everything decorated for Christmas. Make sure you take some time for the Osborn family lights at DHS. I personal could spend hours just hanging out watching the lights and drinking hot chocolate. (I'm also a christmas nut so) There is so much to check out have lots of memory cards for your camera. :)

Joannelet
03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
AH Christmas time!! The best time to be at the WORLD! :)
The Boardwalk, The Grand Floridian, Yacht and Beach Club all have great gingerbread creations in their lobby's. Make sure you check them out :)
Santa also can be visited at Epcot and at DTD.
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party is a lot of fun.
The week you are going shouldn't be too bad. THe week before is VERY crowded and the week after you is VERY crowded....so that week should be a little bit better. I would suggest doing the MVMCP during the week as the locals will hit the parties on the weekends....
You will have a fab time. Do the Candlelight Processional in Epcot-do the dinner package so that you get seats. And definitely check out the Osbourne Lights at DHS. You will not be disappointed. :)
Enjoy!

RedSoxFan
03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
We stayed at WL during that December time frame of 2010. Lovely resort. So beautiful with the huge Christmas tree in the lobby and all the decorations. No complaints about that resort at all.

floridamom
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Great time frame--it does get more crowded as the week goes on. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and loved it. Living in Florida, it is nice to be reminded of what Christmas might look like up north. We also took a "sleigh ride" there one year that our girls loved.

I would agree that the weather can vary this time of year. But rain is not as much of an issue as in the summer, so hopefully weather won't have a huge impact on your park plans.

Our holiday must-dos:

Candlelight Processional- We feel the dinner package is definitely worth it. Last year we ate at Biergarten, which was a lower tier option, but very enjoyable.

Osborne Lights- We tried to pick the coldest night of our trip to attend this--so the snow would feel more "real."

Castle light-up at Magic Kingdom- This has become one of our favorite holiday happenings. Photos don't do justice to the beautiful icicle light effect.

Happy Planning!!:mickey:

mom2morgan
03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
One tip from my past experience - avoid the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Party days! We have always gone that time of year, and love th decorations. Some days we could just walk onto rides with hardly any waits at all- but MK on the day of a party was absolutely INSANE :crowd: One time we went it was very warm and we swam a lot - the other time was unusually cold and we had lots of overcast, rainy days. (the trade off is that the parks were REALLY empty on those days!). Also keep in mind that even on the warm days, the evenings cool off as soon as the sun goes down - and you don't want to be wet. We had a miserable evening or two still wet from water rides, and getting soaked at Illuminations.

elmjimmlm
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
We were there the same time last Dec. and we had free dining...We always stay at POR because we are a family of 5 and I love the decorations there but they dont compare to the GF...You have to go resort hopping and look at all the other resorts decorations...
We are hoping that we can go back that week too...We may see you there...:mickey:

DisneyNut6777
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
We were there the same time last Dec. and we had free dining...We always stay at POR because we are a family of 5 and I love the decorations there but they dont compare to the GF...You have to go resort hopping and look at all the other resorts decorations...
We are hoping that we can go back that week too...We may see you there...:mickey:

Yes, might see you there!! I have seen some great pics and heard awesome reviews on the refurbishment at POR FQ.... New Queen BEDS!!:cloud9::cloud9::mickey:

DisneyNut6777
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
some really fantastic feedback and awesome ideas everyone!!! In the words of #5, (I'm alive)I need more INPUT!! :D. Thanks

brivers222
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
we will be there on our honeymoon... for my sake i will say its going to be the busiest time in the parks... stay away lol j/king i love xmas and cant wait to see the parks during the holidays.

jillluvsdisney
03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Great time to go. I've been there at that time of year three times. All the holidays festivities are going on and the atmosphere is great. Resort prices are lower than the holiday rate and the crowds are lesser too. Be prepared for anything weather wise. I've experienced everything from 40's and rain to 70's and sunny.