PDA

View Full Version : I want opinions

PETE FROM NYC
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
DW and I did our first DVC trip last September, at BLT. We had a 1 BR, handicapped room, lake view.
Now DW want to go back next year in September or October, and bring her side of the family with us, two adults and three teens.I figure that a 2 BR will suit us OK. DW and I will take the master bedroom, and the others can divvy up the rest of the place.
Now, I am far from being a rich man, meaning that I cannot afford to subsidize anyone elses vacation. I am trying to come up with how much to ask them to chip in for the room. I gave DW the figure of around $250-300 per day,which is about what they would spend staying elsewhere. Plus they will have access to the kitchen, and laundry, fridge, computer hook-up, etc.
Does that sound fair?

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
How long are you planning on going for??? This is what I do... My friend usually joins me for the trips... We stay in BLT and SSR Treehouses... Last trip, in 2009, I asked him for $1500 for the 10 days... I'm not out to bankrupt my friends, and I felt $1500 was more than fair... Especially since he has to deal with traveling with me... I don't fly so we eitgher have to drive from NJ, or take the train, which I know he doesn't much care for the drive... In 2009, we drove... I know he wasn't too thrilled...

$300 a night, in a 2 bedroom villa... more than fair if you want my honest opinion...

vizsla
03-27-2011, 06:53 AM
We ask family or friends to come with us each trip we make. We do not ask for anything from them for the use of the room if we are going to be there with them. Now if they wanted to go on a trip with out us and we have extra points then I would rent the points to them.

WRWDisney
03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Many people look at what the difference is between what they would have booked with out guests and what they are booking now and then ask the guests to pay the difference in points at $10/pt. In your case, if you are planning on doing a lake view at BLT again, then the difference between a one bedroom and a two bedroom is 10/pts per night (weeknights) and 12 on weekends. by that rule of thumb, you should charge them between $100-$120/ per night.

For the accommodations they are getting, what you are charging is more than fair. The question is, are you really trying to subsidize your own trip, or spend time with your wife's family? Also, since you "own" DVC, will your wife's family perceive you charging them this much as unreasonable because it "doesn't cost you anything" (now I know that isn't true, just trying to think about family dynamics ands relationships).

Either way, have a great trip:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
03-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Difference in points at $10-11 a point sounds about right...

We got a 2BR for a trip a few years ago to share out of the kindness of my heart, and after the first night, they bailed. While I'm over it now, I'm not going to let that happen again.

JPL
03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I went with a friend in December and basically just told him to handle the airfare for me since I would take care of the room. It worked out well.

Ian
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Hmmm ... my advice is to watch out for the slippery slope you may be starting down. Asking family members for money (and worse, the wife's family members) can be hairy.

But if you do choose to ask them to contribue, I'd charge them no more than $10 per point at the difference between what accomodations you would have booked and what you booked to include them. You definitely don't want to look like you're gouging.

Carol
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I guess I must be overly generous.

When I travel with friends and use my DVC points I only ask enough to cover my annual dues. I would never want to make money off from my friends or family.

Belster
03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I too must be generous but I do not feel right extending an invite to stay with us and then charging them. Here is what I told my mom and best friend...they can feel free to pick up the tab on our tips that we leave on the DDP and the parking fee at the airport. Anything else they want to do usually benefits my children...ie extra ice cream and some shopping..lol.

NH Disneyfan
03-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't think $250-300 per night sounds fair.....I would think that is more likely your true cost for the accommodation, unless you got some really bad DVC deal.

Aurora
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
If you are inviting them to stay with you, I don't think you can charge them for what they would pay "elsewhere." On the other hand, you don't want to "subsidize" their vacation accommodations. A couple of options:

I like others' idea of asking them for the difference in the 2-bedroom points cost. You can say since you're using your points to "pay" for a larger room for all of you, they can pitch in. Non-DVC members have a hard time understanding that points mean money, so you should use words like "paying" or "cost" for the room. But you should look at your actual costs, not what Disney would charge.

Another idea is inviting them to come on vacation with you, but letting them get their own room. That way you're not obligated but you still get to vacation with them. If you're thinking of charging them what they would have paid if they got their own room, they might as well actually do it and have no hard feelings.

Ian
03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Another idea is inviting them to come on vacation with you, but letting them get their own room. That way you're not obligated but you still get to vacation with them. If you're thinking of charging them what they would have paid if they got their own room, they might as well actually do it and have no hard feelings.I like this idea. Personally, I think asking your in-laws to foot a $300 per night hotel room bill for a room they're going to think you got for "free" (even though we all know it isn't really free) is a bad idea.

The best scenario for all parties involved is that you charge them something very nominal that makes them feel like they got a great deal (<$100 a night). That way you get compensated for your points and they walk away thinking what a kind and generous son-in-law they have. ;)

MinnieMommie
03-29-2011, 06:35 AM
This is a tough one. Every family operates differently so that is the one thing you will need to talk about with your wife and then decide how to handle this.

We invite people to stay with us often and have never considered asking for reimbursement in any way. But that is how our friends and family operate.

Since this is your wife's family I would make sure she is comfortable with whatever is decided. Things are trickier with in laws and you do not want any ill will to result from a misunderstanding.

Yes they will have a very nice place to stay in a 2 bedroom at BLT. The computer hook up, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer are all nice and things they will not get if they book their own non-DVC room.

Who knows...when invited they may insist on covering some portion of the expense. If that is the case you can suggest something like coverage of your dues or the cost of pts per additional points between a 1 bedroom and the 2 you will need to get to include them. Just talk this through carefully with your wife. A nice gesture towards family could turn explosive.

Jillirose
03-29-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not a DVC member, so I think my perceptions would be similar to your guests. I liked the suggestion that you simply charge them for the additional cost of points for the 2 bedroom. You would be spending a specific number of points for yourself anyway. And the value of your portion should not be factored in to the guests' cost at all.

BraddyB
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
I am not a DVC member yet, still trying to sell my wife on it, but I keep working on it. It's only a matter of time now.

But

Having family and inlaws, it could be a touchy subject. They could assume its free since you asked them to go with ya. If they are thinking that, they might get put off by a $$$ a night amount.

On the other hand, others would be more than willing to pay towards the trip. Basically what it comes down to is knowing how the family reacts to different situations.

Like if it was my family/inlaws, I wouldnt charge a price per night. Maybe have them cover our airfare or park passes. This way there is a $ exchange to stay but its not a flat out charge per night.

Not sure if that helps, and hope you enjoy your trip !!!

TheDuckRocks
03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
If you are going to charge them on a per night basis I would charge them $106 to $210 per night.
I based my amounts on:
1) the differance between the DVC points needed for a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom in Sept. for a week is 74 points or @ $10 per point rounding off @ $106 per night.
2) the differance going through Disney Travel from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom in Sept. is $210 per night.
Personally if I were going to ask for payment I would ask for it in plane tickets, meals, park tickets or something other than cash. But, this is exactly why we don't tell anyone we own into DVC, unless they are someone we would love to take with us as our guests.