PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Backyard BBQ

paragon
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
We are planning our Septemeber trip. Thinking about MBYBBQ- There will be 6 of us, DW and me, and our friends with thier two children 6 & 9. We are staying 10 days, POR, on the DDP. I know this uses 2 TS credits. Sell it to me!

ElenitaB
03-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Lots of people have looked but none have answered. I hate to be a party pooper but I'll be honest: I can't sell this experience to you considering that it's a 2 credit option on the dining plan. For 2 credits you could have a really wonderful meal at a great restaurant like Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, Flying Fish, etc.

If it's face time with Mickey that you want, I'd suggest Garden Grill for dinner or 'Ohana for breakfast (both of which are decidedly less crowded and frantic than Chef Mickey). These alternatives will only put you behind 1 DP credit per person.

If it's outdoor time with the characters you're looking for, three is a campfire/sing-a-long with Chip and Dale at Ft. Wilderness as well. It's not a nightly event nor is it held year-round. While I don't have those details, I do know that you can buy s'more kits and roasting sticks.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

paragon
03-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you for coming along and answering!!!
We were thinking the same, that it's probably not worth using two credits, and actually thinking of paying out of pocket for this one-

Let's assume we bought it-
How was the overall experience, and food??

TheVBs
03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
We did this on our last trip and really had a blast! It was me, DH and our 2 DDs - 4 & 8 at the time. The show was excellent and fun, and the girls loved dancing with the characters! They danced with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale. Mickey does do a quick run past the tables too. The food was good, standard BBQ stuff, plenty of it, beer and wine included. And, the kids can walk right up to a cooler and pick out whatever kind of ice cream bars/popsicles they want.

There are 3 dance floors, the huge one in the middle, and two smaller ones on the sides. We ended up at a smaller one and appreciated being able to see the girls if they got up and danced, while we stayed put and ate.

We enjoyed it enough that we're going to do it again this year. If we paid for the dining plan, I don't know that I would use the two credits on it, we would if we were on free dining.

Hope this helps!

TheRustyScupper
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
No sale here!

Our Ratings of Mickey's BBQ: (rev 1/5/11)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C-
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C-
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: C+

NOTE: Tables are long picnic tables of about 40 people
per table, so you sit with other families. No reserved seating,
so the "mad dash" for seats can be interesting. There is no
"front row", just the end of the picnic tables. Folks start lining up
about 1-hr prior to the 5:30pm seating. Also, characters are there
for dancing and front interaction, and do not go thru tables, so
sometimes there is a long line trying to get to the charcters. It
should also be noted that the sides are open to the weather. They
can put up some plastic wind diverters, but it does get cold.

Mickey, Minnie and friend attend.

wildernesslady
03-28-2011, 10:30 AM
No sale here!

Our Ratings of Mickey's BBQ: (rev 1/5/11)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C-
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C-
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: C+

NOTE: Tables are long picnic tables of about 40 people
per table, so you sit with other families. No reserved seating,
so the "mad dash" for seats can be interesting. There is no
"front row", just the end of the picnic tables. Folks start lining up
about 1-hr prior to the 5:30pm seating. Also, characters are there
for dancing and front interaction, and do not go thru tables, so
sometimes there is a long line trying to get to the charcters. It
should also be noted that the sides are open to the weather. They
can put up some plastic wind diverters, but it does get cold.

Mickey, Minnie and friend attend.

Ditto!!! Once was enough for us.

pamickeys
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Have no idea since we have never been able to get a res for it, and I mean never. so someone must like it.struck out again this year.

waymickey
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
WE LOVED IT. My family and I have done this twice and enjoyed it both times. Our dd 7 the first time and 11 the second time loved it as did her cousins 11,14,16 years old. the food is basci BBQ food but good. The show is excellent and the character interaction was great too. Dance with characters, and they did come to the tables both times we were there. It is all you can eat and drink, and there is no ruch to get you out. We went over early went to the petting zoo and horse barns. Walked downtot he lake and searched for the lawn mower tree and then got in line. We had a blast and think it is one of the most overlooked dinning there is.