PDA

View Full Version : Transportation, what to do?

mgmnut
03-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Trying to figure out the best transportation scenario for out Trip in July and looking for opinions. Which way would you handle it? Price is obviously a factor, but convenience is as well. These are the options I can think of. If there are any other suggestions, pros, or cons you can think of I would appreciate it.

Also, if staying onsite using DVC is parking at the 4 parks free? Never used the DVC before.

2 adults, 2 teens (13)
Staying at Villas at WL (DVC) 7 nights
Spending 2 Days off site mid-week
Have full kitchen so want groceries (Milk, cream, butter, eggs, bread)

Option 1:
-Use DME from MCO to WL.
-Rent an economy car for 2 days, for offsite days, from Alamo on site at WDW.
-Use DME back to MCO.
-DME for DVC $95.00 fee
-Car rental $120.00 2 days
-Total = $215.00

Cons:-Take time out from parks mid week to go get rental, and again to return.
-Still need to figure out grocery shopping
-Using mass transportation from airport, possibly stopping at other resorts first could be time consuming
-checking in with large group of people as bus unloads at resort, again time consuming

Option 2:
-Quicksilver Car Service to and from MCO. Although website says “Airport to WDW Transfer starting at $49.90” actual listed price is $80.00 one way, $120.00 round trip + gratuity = $160.00.
-Take advantage of 30 min grocery stop from Quicksilver Car service
-Quicksilver Car Service = $160.00 with gratuity
-Total = $280.00

Cons:-Take time out from parks mid week to go get rental, and again to return.

Option 3:
-Rent economy car for entire week, p/u at MCO terminal, drive ourselves to and from MCO ($407.00)
-have vehicle for off site days, no lost time from parks picking up car mid-week
-Stop en route to WL from airport for groceries with no time limit
-Drive and park at WDW parks and not rely on WDW Transportation for remote parks (busses)
-total = $407.00

Cons:-Cost, cheapest economy car rental is $407.00 from car company I have never heard of (Advantage car rental)

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Can I throw in another option?

For the grocery shopping, a grocery delivery service would be most cost effective. There are number of places that deliver, such as Garden Grocer and Goodings. You can place your order from home and they will deliver when you arrive.

Then you can rent the onsite car for the days you need it, and yes, parking is free for all resort guests (including DVC).

SuzieBell
03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree - Use a grocery delivery. Also, make sure you are an Alamo Member Insider. They always are having specials. $120 for 2 days for an economy seems a little much. I just booked from Alamo for a 1 day rental for a full size for $45 total. You shouldn't waste too much time picking up from either the Car Care Center or at the Dolphin. It's quick and easy.
You didn't mention, but are you physically going to be gone for 2 days or just back and forth to your resort? There's always taxi or Mears Shuttle.

faline
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Option 1:
-Use DME from MCO to WL.
-Use DME back to MCO.
-DME for DVC $95.00 fee
-Total = $215.00

I'm not sure why you're referring to a fee for Magical Express. There isn't any fee for using Magical Express.

mgmnut
03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure why you're referring to a fee for Magical Express. There isn't any fee for using Magical Express.

I am looking at my confirmation letter now and it states:

"Note: Magical Express US$95 fee MANDATORY per unit/week; US$95 fee included in rentals. Must RSVP prior to arrival. Fee includes shuttle/bag service from airport."

I must have read it wrong before. From what I am reading, there was a $95 fee but I guess I paid for it already as it is included in rental fee, wheather I use it or not. I am renting via RCI. Realizing the fee is already paid though does make me lean more towards using ME to and from MCO

make sure you are an Alamo Member Insider. They always are having specials. $120 for 2 days for an economy seems a little much. I just booked from Alamo for a 1 day rental for a full size for $45 total. You shouldn't waste too much time picking up from either the Car Care Center or at the Dolphin. It's quick and easy.
You didn't mention, but are you physically going to be gone for 2 days or just back and forth to your resort? There's always taxi or Mears Shuttle.

Thanks, I will look into the Alamo Member insider and see if I can save a few $$. We are going back and forth on the 2 off site days but we would want the freedom of coming and going with our own vehicle.

Can I throw in another option?

For the grocery shopping, a grocery delivery service would be most cost effective. There are number of places that deliver, such as Garden Grocer and Goodings. You can place your order from home and they will deliver when you arrive.

Then you can rent the onsite car for the days you need it, and yes, parking is free for all resort guests (including DVC).

Is there a link somewhere to some of the grocery delivery services?

faline
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Is there a link somewhere to some of the grocery delivery services?

There are several grocery delivery services in the area including Gooding's, Garden Grocer, and Wegoshop.

titleistboy
03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
My wife and I used Tiffany Towncars from/to the airport a year and half ago or so...it was about $90 for both legs, and included a stop at a Publix on the way from the airport (you just have to let them know you want to stop when you make your reservation...service was great, door-to-door, very, very fast...we decided the reviews on how fast the DME would get us to the resort were worth the extra money, and it was extremely convenient...I'd highly recommend...

RBrooksC
04-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Anything to me is better than riding on WDW buses. Also, getting between places in the resort is much easier when one has their own car.

jnfr2424
04-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Because you mentioned that you are staying on and off site - I would just rent a car for the week. As PP mention keep your eye on car rental deals
I would book a car for your vacation time TODAY - you can always go back and cancel with no kinds of penalties
I have used priceline in the past as well as Costco and got great deals on car rentals.
Also check out if the airline you are flying on has deals with car rentals.

EvilQueen2006
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
I have had good luck using the name your own price" website for car rentals, and have gotten them as cheap as $15 a day. (The highest I ever paid was $25/day)