PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise employee missing

tundramom
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
According to CNN a Disney Cruise employee has gone missing, hopefully they are found safe.

(CNN) -- A Disney Cruise Line employee has been reported missing during a seven-day cruise off the Mexico's Pacific coast, the company said Thursday.

The unidentified worker on board the Disney Wonder failed to appear for a Tuesday shift, Disney spokeswoman Christi Erwin Donnan said.

The vessel, which left Los Angeles on Sunday, docked Wednesday in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Donnan said.

The U.S. Coast Guard, the Mexican navy and the Bahamas Maritime Authority have participated in the search and investigation, Donnan said. The Disney Wonder is registered in the Bahamas.

The Mexican navy has been conducting searches since Tuesday, Disney Cruise Line said in a written statement.

"Given the circumstances, we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation," it said.

The company said it conducted a thorough inspection of the cruise ship.

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Pamela Manns said the Mexican navy is leading the search and asked for Coast Guard help early in the effort.

The Coast Guard provided long-range search aircraft but is not now actively involved in the search.

The FBI is not involved because it does not have jurisdiction, as the ship was off the coast of Mexico flying under a foreign flag, said spokeswoman Laura Eimiller of the agency's Los Angeles office.

But the FBI has heard no reports of criminal activity or foul play, she said.

Dsnygirl
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
:( Sending prayers and pixie dust the CM's way, as well as to all those involved that they will find this person quickly, and that no harm has come to them. How very scary... :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Joannelet
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh no. I hope they are okay.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh no! I hope they are found safe!

mouseketeer mom
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
This feels very creepy. I hope no danger came to this CM.

shadowden
03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Horrible news... hope all turns out okay...

BrerGnat
03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Were there any port calls prior to Tuesday?

The weather here on the west coast has been awful...lots of stormy weather and high winds. Not a good omen. :(

Prayers for this CM and his family.

DisneyFr33k
03-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I read on a different site it is a female cast member working in the youth program. Also, I read they were at sea when she went missing and the boat has been covered from end to end. That leaves only one option.... I hope not.

Ed
03-26-2011, 11:01 PM
TV station ABC7 (Los Angeles) has the following posted on their website ~~

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The parents of a missing cruise ship worker spoke out about her disappearance Saturday.

The woman hasn't been seen now for several days and her parents want answers.

Rebecca Coriam, 24, was reported missing Tuesday morning when she didn't show up for a shift aboard the Disney Wonder.

The ship had left the Port of Los Angeles on its way to Puerto Vallarta when she disappeared.

Coriam was last seen on Tuesday, hours before the Disney Wonder docked in Puerto Vallarta. According to passengers on the cruise ship, the missing woman works in the ship's youth program.

The ship left Sunday evening. Disney officials said they searched the ship thoroughly and found no signs of the woman.

The Wonder is relatively new to the West Coast. It began sailing out of the Port of Los Angeles in January.

A spokesperson for Disney Cruises issued a written statement:

"Given the circumstances we are very concerned about this situation and are doing everything possible to assist with the search effort and investigation. We have also conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship and spoken with the crew member's colleagues to gather as much information as possible."

The cruise line said the Mexican Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard have been conducting searches. The FBI has also been notified, although the Bahamian Maritime Authority is leading the investigation.

The Wonder is expected to return to Los Angeles Sunday.

Disney is the parent company of ABC7

Really doesn't shed much light on the current status... :shrug:

2Epcot
03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Whey they say they've conducted a thorough and comprehensive inspection of the ship, I wonder does that involve the guests cabins, and if so, what do they tell the guests in a situation like this?

DisneyFr33k
03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
"Coriam was last seen on Tuesday, hours before the Disney Wonder docked in Puerto Vallarta."

So could it be possible that she got off the boat in Puerto Vallarta or did she disappear while at sea?

Ed
03-27-2011, 07:24 AM
"Coriam was last seen on Tuesday, hours before the Disney Wonder docked in Puerto Vallarta."

So could it be possible that she got off the boat in Puerto Vallarta or did she disappear while at sea?

Doubtful that she got off in PV. Just like the paying passengers, crew members' ID cards are swiped through the ship's security system when they leave the ship and again when they return. This is done by the ship's security officers; it is not a do-it-yourself process. And the search was ordered before the ship arrived in PV.

Regrettably, it appears the young lady disappeared while the ship was still at sea.

DisneyFr33k
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Doubtful that she got off in PV. Just like the paying passengers, crew members' ID cards are swiped through the ship's security system when they leave the ship and again when they return. This is done by the ship's security officers; it is not a do-it-yourself process. And the search was ordered before the ship arrived in PV.

Regrettably, it appears the young lady disappeared while the ship was still at sea.

So if she isn't on the ship, that means only one thing.....

I hope foul play isn't involved.

2Epcot
03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm actually working on this story at work this very moment listening to passengers who got off the ship. They are saying Disney made announcement regularly on the loud speaker about the missing crew member and kept the passengers updated on the search.

Scar
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM

The parents of a missing Disney cruise line member met with investigators Sunday when the vessel returned to its Los Angeles port without their 24-year-old daughter.

Rebecca Coriam, whose hometown is Chester, England, was reported missing at sea Tuesday after she failed to report for a scheduled shift on the Disney Wonder.

The ship was on a seven-day cruise along the western coast of Mexico.

Coriam, who worked as a coordinater for youth activities, made a phone call from the ship shortly before being reported missing, officials told the family. Details of the phone call have not been released.

Coriam's parents, Michael and Ann, and cousin, Trish Davies, spoke with reporters while waiting for the ship to dock Sunday morning.

The Coriams, who traveled from England, boarded the ship to gather their daughter's belongings, and said they were hoping to view surveillance video of the young woman, KABC.com reports.

"She was definitely onboard the ship when the ship was sailing from L.A. to Puerto Vallarta," Ann Coriam told the station. "It is just very, very painful and the thought of not seeing her again...it is just frightening to think about it really."

The 1,000-foot-long ship, which carries more than 2,700 passengers and 950 crew members, has reportedly been searched twice.

Because the Disney Wonder is registered in the Bahamas, police from Nassau are handling the investigation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Belster
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with this CM and her family.

Ed
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Website cruisecritic.com has posted the following update:

March 29, 2011

Update: Search Called Off for Missing Disney Crewmember

(1 p.m. EDT) -- Disney Cruise Line says the Mexican Navy has called off the search for the crewmember who has been missing from Disney Wonder since Tuesday. The 1,754-passenger ship returned to Los Angeles as scheduled on Sunday and is now sailing on its next Mexican Riviera cruise.

The BBC names the woman as 24-year-old Rebecca Coriam, a youth counselor from Chester, England.

According to Disney spokeswoman Christi Erwin Donnan, the crewmember was reported missing Tuesday morning when she failed to report for duty. Several thorough inspections of the ship were conducted, one as recently as Saturday.

The line's latest statement says it has "been working with all of the appropriate authorities. Rebecca's disappearance has been difficult for everyone at Disney Cruise Line. We've been in close contact with the Coriam family, and we're assisting them in any way we can."

ABC News reports that Coriam's parents and aunt flew to Los Angeles to meet the ship. "We just don't know what happened to her, do we?" Rebecca's mother, Ann Coriam, said in an ABC television interview. "And that's just the worst. We've got to find out what happened."

According to the Coriams, Rebecca's roommate says Rebecca placed a phone call to a friend early Tuesday, just hours before failing to show up for her shift. "They say they know what the conversation was, but they're not telling us," her cousin, Trish Davies, told ABC. "They say they've got to wait for the investigation." However, the Coriams say they aren't sure that Rebecca was ever on the ship at all and would like proof.

The line has been in contact with the F.B.I. and the Bahamian Maritime Authority, which is leading the investigation on this matter. (Disney Wonder is registered in the Bahamas, and so the flag state takes the reins in this case.) The Mexican Navy out of Cabo San Lucas conducted a search along the ship's route, which has now ended. Authorities have also "spoken with the crewmember's colleagues to gather as much information as possible," according to another Disney statement.

Disney Wonder was sailing a seven-night Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles. The ship was at sea Monday and Tuesday, when the crewmember went missing.

luvdiznee
03-29-2011, 06:32 PM
OMG. That is even more sad!

Dsnygirl
03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
If her friends feel they "have to wait for the investigation" to report what Rebecca's phone call was about, seems to me they aren't too worried that she met with foul play, or they'd be much more willing to talk. Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe she just went off on her own rendezvous and had reason to believe she needed to be secretive about it.... :(

BellesRose
03-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Wow, I can't believe I haven't heard about this in the news. That is so, so sad.