PDA

View Full Version : Little girls - wants pierced ears

SandyToes
03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Is there any place at WDW that offers ear piercing?

PrettyMinnie
03-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately there is no place to get you ears pierced at WDW. What many do though is get their ears pierced prior to going on vacation and then pick out some special earrings while at WDW. Good luck!

sara114
03-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Being a nurse, here is something to think about: having ears pierced is a "surgical" procedure in a way. Having ears pierced then being in a swimming pool ? I wouldn't do it. It also leaves the ears tender for a couple of days. Would you want to be uncomfortable at WDW? I wouldn't. The risk for catching something is greater since the amount of people you will be around is greater.
MY OPINION ONLY ; I would pick out a nice pair of earrings and get the ears done after going to WDW or plenty of time prior to going.

SBETigg
03-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I agree with Sara. Why risk having infection or anything put a crimp in your vacation? Do it well before or just afterwards. You can still earring shop while in WDW with plans for piercing later.

I think there's no piercing area at WDW because it's not the kind of memory you want to associate with a happy place if things don't go as well as planned. My daughter wanted her ears pierced, and we did it when she was ten-- and she did not expect it to hurt so much. I tried to prepare her, but it hurt more than she expected and there were many tears and regrets- she really wasn't ready to take care of her own ears, change earrings, keep earrings in for months to make sure they didn't close up. But no infections, and we made it through the rough patch. Make sure she's really ready, knows what to expect, and best wishes!

RBrooksC
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
One should get the girl's ear's pierced at least six months before putting in new ear rings. First that cuts down the risk of infection and it also allows the earring holes to be open.

Our daughter has had her ears pierced for over a year and we haven't removed her earrings.

So, if you are going too soon, purchase earrings you like and put them away as a gift or something to give at a later date.

A nice stocking stuffer for Christmas.

Granny Jill A
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
How old is the child? I feel strongly that ear piercing should be done only when the child is old enough to properly care for her ears.
My daughter and granddaughter had their ears pierced when they were 10, and it worked out perfectly. No infections, no hassles about keeping the ears clean.

RBrooksC
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Not necessarily. My daughter got her ears pierced right after her first birthday and my wife and I made sure her ears were cleaned each and every day along with turning the earrings. Her ears are fine and she will be able to pick out her own earrings as she grows.

I would worry about a girl having to take the reigns on that, anyway. Most kids would forget about that duty and the parents would still, at least, have to remind each and every day to do it.

SBETigg
03-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Not necessarily. My daughter got her ears pierced right after her first birthday and my wife and I made sure her ears were cleaned each and every day along with turning the earrings. Her ears are fine and she will be able to pick out her own earrings as she grows.

I would worry about a girl having to take the reigns on that, anyway. Most kids would forget about that duty and the parents would still, at least, have to remind each and every day to do it.

I don't disagree. When they're younger, they almost have a better tolerance for things and don't take time to worry as much. Plus, even at ten, my daughter was afraid to take her earrings out for the first time and uncomfortable with them in. So, hard to say if she would have adjusted better earlier, or if she should have waited for later. It depends on the child and the situation, and some are ready at different ages. But I still wouldn't do it at WDW even if they had facilities for it, and I wouldn't do it too close to vacation time, just in case.

Granny Jill A
03-24-2011, 05:36 PM

The earrings were treated as a "rite of passage", and both daughter and granddaughter took the responsibility VERY seriously. I would be so nervous about a youngster having any kind of jewelry on them, but I'm glad it worked out for your daughter.

PrettyMinnie
03-24-2011, 05:51 PM

This has been our experience as well. With three daughters, we have never had an ear piercing problem. Perhaps our girls adjusted better or just tolerated the actual procedure better, but we would not have it any other way.

RBrooksC
03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
The earrings were treated as a "rite of passage", and both daughter and granddaughter took the responsibility VERY seriously. I would be so nervous about a youngster having any kind of jewelry on them, but I'm glad it worked out for your daughter.

I understand and it's all good. But we felt it would be easier for this traumatic experience to be done when she was little and wouldn't remember it. She would always know her ears were pierced and wouldn't have to worry about it when she got older.

To be honest, she doesn't even realize they are there. She never plays with them.