PDA

View Full Version : Which Resort for 1st timers

javamama
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
So I need some help, we are going on a big family trip in July. Probably a group of 8 to 11 of us 2 kids, 8 adults, and an infant. My parents are redoing their honeymoon, and they stayed at the DL Hotel in 1970, and want us to meet them there since none of us have ever been...which sound like fun. So my dad of course since this is my fav thing to do, wants me to see what's best for us. He definately wants Club Level, that I know other than that I know it's up in the air so I need help here....
We will be staying on property btw :mickey:
Thanks,
T

BrerGnat
03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
The Disneyland hotel is undergoing some massive refurbishments right now. By July, the new pool area should be open, but it's not guaranteed, since it's completion date is "Summer 2011". There will only be one small (lap) pool, along with two waterslides. The other pool will be undergoing renovation and will open next summer. In addition, towers there are still being worked on, so there is heavy construction on the property, walls up, etc. The lobby might be partially undergoing refurbishments by this summer. You can certainly stay there, but it's really not in all its glory right now, and won't be until NEXT summer. Luckily, the club level building IS done, as well as the tower housing the suites, so if you go that route, you'll be okay.

With that said, the Grand Californian is my favorite Disney hotel! I can't recommend it highly enough, but it's very pricey. If money is no object, the Club Level here is very good. It's a notch above what you find at most WDW resorts. More on par with the Grand Floridian, although not quite as fancy (i.e. no champagne). The rooms here are a bit on the small side, but perfectly laid out and comfortably furnished. Again, the amenities here are like those at GF (H2O Spa products in the bathroom, robes for use, turndown service for all, triple sheeting and duvet covers on all the beds, dvd players in all rooms, etc.) The pool area here is fabulous! Three big pools, 2 waterslides and 2 hot tubs. Pool offers food/drink service from your cushioned lounge chair. :thumbsup: It's a beautiful place to hang out in the hot July sun. Restaurants here are top notch, and Downtown Disney is right out the door. In addition, there is a direct entrance into DCA. This is the place to stay if you'll be taking midday breaks, and want to be a stone's throw from both parks. In addition, this is the only resort right now that has an onsite kids club (kids must be 5 years old). I'd recommend dropping the kids off one night and having a 5 star meal at Napa Rose. BEST restaurant I've ever eaten at! :number1:

Paradise Pier is an adequate hotel. I've stayed there twice, once on club level. CL is VERY sparse here. The lounge is only open from 7am-8pm and the food is sort of meh. Lots of prepackaged stuff. The pool area here is disappointing. The pool is very tiny, although there is a cool waterslide. This resort has decent themeing in the public areas, but the rooms themselves have a decidedly generic feel to them. This is a good option for those looking to save a bit of money, but still want a DL property resort.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the Disney resorts, if you want my honest opinion. Just be prepared for some HEAVY construction work at DL Hotel as well as at DCA.

One thing to keep in mind: All three Disney resorts offer suites in various configurations. However, suites here DO NOT automatically include club level service. That costs an additional $150/night and is granted on an "as available" basis. That is, if the club level rooms are fully occupied, you may be denied club level access due to lounge occupancy limits.

tinkwest
03-23-2011, 11:35 PM
I would agree that currently the DH is not the best choice. I stayed there last month and while our room was beautiful and recently refurbished, the rest of the grounds were pretty much inaccessible.

I'd choose the Grand Californian in July. Better pool area than Paradise Pier.