PDA

View Full Version : something new to do?

bdm@pga
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
So we are planning our annual birthday trip for my daughter...in June....and we always try to find a new place to eat, or new experience. I realize that none of you know what my past experiences have been, but I thought maybe some could share their unusual or out of the ordinary things that you do on a trip. Maybe it was a different place to eat, or an experience off the beaten path. Something that you stumbled upon and would be willing to share.

floridamom
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Have you had afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian? It's just a monorail ride from MK and a very nice break from the heat and crowds.

Also, on our last trip we tried Sanaa (Kidani Village) for the first time. Got there early and saw lots of animals before we were seated. The decor and menu are very unique, but there were some also less exotic choices for the kids.

PrettyMinnie
03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
How old are the children in your family?

teambricker04
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree... afternoon tea at GF is a very fun experience! They offer a tea for kids as well (Chocolate milk, maybe?), but I went with my mom and we are both adults :) I have two boys (6 and nearly 4) who would NOT like it as it is quiet... they would prefer to be loud.

Another fun place, but sometimes crowded, is Beaches and Cream at the BC. It is an old fashion ice cream parlor and they serve burgers and such as well. No reservations required and it is a quick walk from the international gateway at EPCOT.

iloveokw
03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Parasailing at the Contemporary....you can do it tandem.

DonaldsBFF
03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
If your kids are at least 9 years old the horseback riding at FW is always a fun time. We always do early morning before it is too hot . Also you don't have to be an experienced rider. The horses pretty much "steer" themselves. Last time we had deer pretty much walk up to us. It is a neat experience and also quite relaxing as it goes through the woods. We are outdoorsy people though so it may not be for everyone.

olivegirl
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
For something different and lots of fun we rent the water mice at the Poly. My DD is 11 and we had:thumbsup: a BLAST!!! Every year when we come to Disney we take one day, rent a car and drive to Clearwater Beach for the day!:cloud9: It is about a 90 min drive BUT SOOOO worth it!!! We usually arrive at 7am or so and stay for the WONDERFUL sunset! By far its THE best beach!!!

Momto3littlemice
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Great question... and love the idea about the beach trip!

Last trip one of my special moments was my son getting his hair cut at the Main Street Barbershop. Best haircut ever, wonderful treatment etc. They will do pixie dust styles for girls too! (and in my opinion, much nicer than the BB boutique)

Daisy'sMom
03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Why not rent a car and go over to the space center for the day. And go to the National Seashore. :mickey:

Altair
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
We did the Characters in Flight balloon ride at DTD last December and had a good time.:mickey:

faline
03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Canoe in Fort Wilderness.
Fish in the canals at Fort Wilderness.
Walk the Discovery Trail in Animal Kingdom (many people skip this or don't realize the path is there as you don't run across many others)
Rent a pontoon boat.
Do a tour.

bdm@pga
03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
some great ideas!! thanks to all. My children are 7 and 2..daughter turning 8 on the trip. Clearwater was actually in our plans this year...though we weren't positive yet, but now I think we are! Sanaa sounds great. My wife would love that. Thanks again....but keep 'em coming if you think of more!

iloveokw
03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
We also love going to Bob Jackson's free show at the River Roost at Port Orleans Riverside.

Momto3littlemice
03-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Another fun birthday idea -- we did on this most recent trip is to stop by the piano player outside of Casey's on Main Street. He is wonderful and will play an amazing rendition of Happy Birthday for your daughter. He isn't listed in the times guide, but the CM at the info tower at the end of Main Street can give you his times. :mickey: