PDA

View Full Version : First timer -- help!

Momto3littlemice
03-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi all,

We are Disney veterans but are going to be first time Disney cruisers June 2012!! We are going Western Caribbean on the Fantasy (7 nights). We are going with a large large group -- there will be 23 of us total. I have been put in charge of finding out about shore excursions etc. I see that it looks like we won't be able to book until a few months before but I just want to get a feel for things.

First of all, if we don't book a particular adventure for a destination (say Cozumel)... can we just go to a beach when we get off the boat? In other words -- do you have to book a specific adventure to do something other than walk around wherever the boat docks?

Also, we have a HUGE age range in our party -- from 4 years old to 75 years old - and everything in between! We will likely be splitting up for these adventures but I would love to hear opinions on things that are great for the whole family.

Thanks!:mickey:

Ed
03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome to Disney Cruising! You're going to have a great time.

You're definitely free to do your own thing wherever the ship docks; there's no requirement that you book organized excursions. Whatever you choose to do, just be aware of one very important point - - make sure you get back to the ship on time. The ship WILL leave without you unless you're on a cruiseline-organized excursion.

You've definitely got a large and varied age group in your party; you're right that you'll probably be splitting up. Remember too that there's plenty to do on the ship if anyone chooses to stay onboard during port calls.

On the Western itinerary, one excursion that we enjoyed was advertised as a butterfly farm tour on Grand Cayman. That ended up being just a small part of it; the bus tour also included a stop at a rum cake shop, the area of GC known as "Hell", but the best part was a turtle farm. Our tour group included a variety of ages, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

DisneyFr33k
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
We didn't do any of the ship's excursions, but saw all there was to see at little costs.

Grand Cayman, grab a taxi and visit Seven Mile Beach - a beautiful stretch of beach you can just soak up the sun, snorkle or swim. Then take a taxi to Hell, take pictures or mail a postcard (from Hell) before returning to the ship.

Cozumel - the best place to visit is Chankanaab National Park. It is a national park due to the beautiful underwater life it has. You grab a cab to take you there and there are plenty lined up to take you back. There is an admission fee, but it is worth every penney. The beach is very nice, you have nice lounge chairs and shaded areas. There is a dolphin experience (you have to book that way ahead of time), a restaurant, bathroom/bathhouse and beautiful lagoons. Here's a website with more info on Chankanaab:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Chankanaab_National_Park/

Hope this helps! Happy planning!

Momto3littlemice
03-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. So, it seems that a cab is the way to get around (if you are going on your own). I of course want to be sure we head somewhere safe and peaceful so I am open to all suggestions for our itinerary. Keep them coming! :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
03-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes, a cab is the easiest. Our first trip to Grand Cayman was wonderful. Our taxi driver was a local woman named Rubi. She drove us to seven mile and then after we asked to go to Hell and she charged little extra (not the same as on return trips - they do charge extra). She chatted away the whole drive, telling us about GC, sites we passed, her family etc. Once we were at Hell, she even went into the gift store and bought us post cards. This was a unique experience, but I tell you this because if you get the right cab driver, they can enrich your experience so much.

Good luck, and have fun!