PDA

View Full Version : Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa Pre-Trip Report

Mammabruski
03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
We’re at single digits!!!! :cloud9: And that means it’s time for my Pre-Trip Report. Let’s start with the cast…

Who
• Me
• DH (My lovely husband, not the biggest Disney Fan)
• DD1 (age- 4, her 4th trip to WDW)
• DD2 (age-18 months, her 1st trip to WDW)
• DP (Dear Patriarch or Dear Papa – what the grandkids call my Dad)
• DM (Pirate Granny here on the boards, my Mom and Buszia to the grandkids)
• DS 1 (Dear Sister 1, my older sister)
• DBIL (Dear Brother-in-law)
• DN1 (Dear Nephew 1, age – 4, 2nd trip to WDW)
• DN2 (Dear Nephew 2, age- 21 months, 1st trip to WDW)
• DS2 (Dear Sister 2, my younger sister)

When
We’re leaving on Saturday March 26th, and staying until Sunday April 3rd. Our last few family trips have been long weekends, since I’m a teacher and I can’t take more than 4 days off at a time (we get 4 personal days, and that’s pushing it). Due to the whole teacher thing, we’re going during the busy spring break season. We know what we’re getting into, we’ve been at busy times (Christmas 2004), and I’ve subscribed to Touring Plans.

Where
My DM rented points at OKW, and we’ll be staying in Grand Villa. So excited! We requested the Miller Road area, specifically building 19, and hopefully our request is granted. From what I understand this whole area is completed in terms of the recent refurb of OKW. I personally like the look of the new rooms; I wasn’t a big fan of the pastel palette that used to prevail.

How
We have a lot planned, park hoppers have been secured, and spreadsheets have been extensively analyzed. We are so ready! Here are the basics of our days…

Day 1
The day we arrive we have ADR’s at Whispering Canyon Café, and we plan to have the kids play on the beach, as well as checking out WL. Depending on how cranky/tired the wee ones are we might take the boat and watch the EWP at the GF.
Day 2
Day two begins with MK, and I’m hoping to get my kids there for rope drop and to see the Welcome Medley. My DD’s and I LOVE the Welcome Medley on the 4 Parks CD’s. We listen to it every morning in the car, and it sure gets us in a Disney mood. DD1 is also tall enough to ride BTMRR and Splash, so we’ll have to see if she’s brave enough to try her first roller coaster. She’s been telling people for months she needs to grow to be tall enough for roller coasters. Way too cute. We have nap time scheduled into most of days, including this first day. After nap we’ll go to EPCOT and have dinner at the Garden Grill.
Day 3
Day 3 dawns with EMH at AK, Tusker House for lunch and priority seating for Finding Nemo at 3:15. This is one day where a trip back to the hotel for nap has not been scheduled. We figure the younger cousins can nap during Nemo or in the stroller- wishful thinking perhaps? After Nemo lets out we’re planning on heading over to CBR to check out the food court and the resort in general. If the kids are really cranky, we might just go home and fix dinner at the Villa.
Day 4
We’ll start day 4 at EMH at Epcot and a family photo shoot. DM bought the one hour package for $350, and paid an additional $50 to get the rights and a CD of the pictures. We’ll also get a 6x6 photo memory book with all the “good shots” digitally enhanced. We’re having our pictures taken in France, the UK and Canada, if time. After nap today we’re heading to HS for dinner at Sci-Fi.
Day 5
This morning brings the first of our Grand Gathering celebrations: Tony’s Good Morning Breakfast. Tony’s only offers this twice a week, and only to Grand Gatherings. From pictures I’ve seen Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald are special guest stars. You also get priority seating for Mickey’s Philharmagic. We once again head “home” for naptime, and then we’re off to dinner at Boma and an evening of exploring AKL. We love resort hopping!
Day 6
Today is my DBIL’s birthday and we’re all heading to Blizzard Beach. I love the Tike’s Peak area for the kiddos. My DD1 had so much fun there the last time we went. After nap we’re splitting up. My DS’s family is heading to T-Rex (my DBIL wanted to have time alone with his little family for his birthday) and the rest of us are headed to Akershus. Gotta love the princesses!
Day 7
We tackle HS this morning, but we’ll probably send DP for the fastpasses to TSM… In the evening is our second of the two Grand Gatherings: International Dinner and IllumiNations Dessert Reception. I’m very excited about this. It takes place in the Odyssey building, and will be a buffet of some of the tastier (I hope) offerings from around the World Showcase. Apparently there will also be a “special” story time, and all this ends with a private IllumiNations Dessert buffet! So psyched!
Day 8
Today is our last day in the parks:(. We have breakfast over at 1900 PF, and then we’ll head to the Magic Kingdom. Probably. I’m almost worried we won’t have enough time at Epcot, in particular at the WS, so we *could* go there. Hmmm, I guess we’ll just have to see. We plan on ending the day at MK for sure, for the MSEP and Wishes. I cannot wait to see this again. DD1 was so cute when we last saw it. “Starbright” as my DD calls it is special to us and I sing it to her every night.
Day 9
Wow, our trip seems so long when you lay it out like this… 9 days! We’re going to play this one by ear, too. We don’t leave until almost 6pm, so we might do some resort hopping and some DTD. Or maybe more pool time. Decisions, decisions…

Final Thoughts
This going to be such a special trip. I love staying “on campus” as my DH calls it, and to all be able to stay together is going to be wonderful. The Grand Villas at OKW are almost 2300 sq. ft, so we should have plenty of room. My DM and DP have offered to stay home and “watch” the kids. We’d go out after the little ones go to bed. Since MK is open pretty late on some of our nights, I’m hoping my DS’s, DH, DBIL and I will be able to hit that up and get some time without the kiddos. I’m also hoping to get a night out at Jelly Rolls and maybe one more at DTD. I can’t wait to see my DD’s with their cousins. Since we live in CO and the rest of our family is in MI, this is really what this whole trip is about. Family. I love that my DD’s are pretty much the same age as my DN’s. They just can’t get enough of each other!
Wow. That was long. I guess I’ll have to break up the Trip Report! Thanks for reading!:mickey:

faline
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow! I can hear your excitement! What a great trip! It sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to read the trip reports!

kellykelly
03-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I hope you have a great time. I hope you get out to Jellyrolls ~ we love it there!

Dsnygirl
03-18-2011, 05:01 AM
:mickey: Wow, your trip plans sound just wonderful!! (and btw, I LOVE your DD's names!! :thumbsup:) Have a wonderful time... it's so nice that your family will have this experience together, and your plans sound very do-able. I hope you and your DH, etc., are able to get out a few nights while the little ones stay with your parents... that's really nice of them to do for you guys. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!! :)

Pirate Granny
03-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Here is my short trip report...

We leave on Wednesday to give us some time without all the kids and grandkids...and of course some golf for Papa.... Since I'll be there three more times this year (yep, a Disney kind of year)' we don't mind watching the GK so the older kiddies can go and enjoy themselves too....

Can't wait....five more days...:mickey:

:pirate:

yjgirl32
03-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Great pre-trip report- thanks so much for sharing- enjoy!

RedSoxFan
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Sounds fun. Have a wonderful time.:mickey:

Joannelet
03-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Sounds like sooo much fun!! Can't wait for your trip reports! Have a GREAT and MAGICAL time!

KylesMom
03-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, Maggie - you have quite the entourage going down! Great pre-planning on your part for parks, dining and the Grand Gathering events.

I'm really looking forward to your report on how your photo shoot at Epcot turns out. It sounds wonderful, as does the International Dinner and Illuminations Dessert Reception.

So many great things planned - four more sleeps, and you're there!

PirateGranny, enjoy your family - I know that you'll all have a magical time. Looking foward to trip reports from both of you upon your return! :mickey:

Mammabruski
03-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all your kind replies! I am getting so excited.... Except I keep watching the weather and getting agitated - some of our days have highs in the upper 60's. 60's! I guess it's out of my hands, and it's still a heck of a lot better than the weather here in the mountains of Colorado! :)

Momto3littlemice
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
This sounds fantastic! It is so bringing back memories of our recent trip with a similar group (11 of us...my parents, sister, and all our kids). We had SUCH a great time and you are right - the best part was seeing everyone and watching the cousings together. We live far apart and that is the true meaning of Disney for us. Have a wonderful, wonderful time! :mickey:

Momto3littlemice
03-22-2011, 03:22 PM
p.s. We also did a photo shoot (ours was at the GF) and it was wonderful and completely worth the time spent. I can't wait to hear about your Grand Gatherings. So fun!:mickey:

CanadaLovesDisney
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
We were hesitant of the 60s when we went recently. (which is crazy because were coming for non-stop snowy Canada) and really it didnt change anything for us! Now we didn't go to any waterparks but I'm sure it will be fine! Have fun!!!

Mammabruski
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Holy Smokes! We leave for the airport tomorrow. I can't believe its finally here! I'm almost all packed, now if I can just make it through tomorrow... I get weepy every time I think of my little ones together in WDW. MK, specifically. Sigh... :cloud9: Perhaps I'll do some mid-trip mini updates! :mickey:

KylesMom
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Maggie, I'm so excited for you! Somehow I doubt you're going to get a whole lot of sleep tonight - you'll be like one of the past Disney commercials I remember (and my family repeats in real life each time we're ready to leave for a trip).

Have a Fantasmic time - and if you can do some mini updates, you know we'll all be SO happy to read them! :mickey:

faline
03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Holy Smokes! We leave for the airport tomorrow. I can't believe its finally here! I'm almost all packed, now if I can just make it through tomorrow... I get weepy every time I think of my little ones together in WDW. MK, specifically. Sigh... :cloud9:

How exciting! Enjoy your trip and don't worry about us! We'll wait until you get back to hear about your fabulous trip! After all, you don't want to miss a minute with those little ones!

Dsnygirl
03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Holy Smokes! We leave for the airport tomorrow. I can't believe its finally here! I'm almost all packed, now if I can just make it through tomorrow... I get weepy every time I think of my little ones together in WDW. MK, specifically. Sigh... :cloud9: Perhaps I'll do some mid-trip mini updates! :mickey:

Have a GREAT trip!! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back! :cloud9:

vizsla
03-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Have a great time and a safe trip.

DizNee143
03-27-2011, 03:42 PM
sounds like its going to be a great family vacation!! hope you guys are having a blast! :mickey:

Mammabruski
04-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi all!
We had a great trip, but finding time to write the full report has been difficult. I started my master's program the Monday after we returned, and its eating up all my "free time". I also have a bad case of "my trip is over" blues :(!

I hope to get the trip report done soon...

MinnieMommie
05-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Wow! Excellent planning. You have so many wonderful things set out for this trip. How exciting! :mickey: